Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Surgeon
    replied
    Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
    I think one of the most glaring omissions from that list was MICHAEL CARBAJAL.

He was a great puncher- ended a lot of fights, or turned the fight around, with one shot.

He was certainly a far bigger puncher than many of those who did make the list.
    Well spotted mate

Leave a comment:

• jabsRstiff
    replied
    I think one of the most glaring omissions from that list was MICHAEL CARBAJAL.

He was a great puncher- ended a lot of fights, or turned the fight around, with one shot.

He was certainly a far bigger puncher than many of those who did make the list.

Leave a comment:

• Pastrano
    replied
    Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

How do you figure? Langford was 30 to 40lbs lighter at their best weights and was knocking heavyweights cold with one shot, the same as Baer. P4p it stands to reason because of this Langford is the better p4p pouncher.
    Ah, ok I see.

Leave a comment:

• Greatest1942
    replied
    Originally posted by NChristo View Post
    Thought you'd know of the Fred Russel fight, thought I'd mention it anyway amazes me every time I hear of it.
    Don't know too much of if Walcott was a combination puncher either but this list is pretty poor imo, if it's on combination punching, speed, power, timing then as I said before why is Jose Napoles and McCallum so low, the order of a lot of the names needs a big change.
    The Russel KO was amazing...Fred Russell stood at 6 feet 5, 255 pounds...Walcott if I remmebr correctly knocked out Choynski, who knocked out Jackson later...Actually to be honest with you these kinds of list are never 100% full proof...I am just going by their declartion that is the greatest puncher not the hardest puncher.

Joe Louis is good at #1, and Sam too at #2...I have my reservations for #3, anyways ...any one please don't jump at me... Its just my idea...I won't like to defend it.

By the by, I would have loved to see Walcott's fight with Lavigne...

Here's a quote

“Look at this ear that I’m carrying. It is a memory of one fight. My old pal Joe Walcott gave it to me in our first fight and almost at the start of it. Some people think that Walcott can hit. It got past the imagination place with me before we boxed one round.

“I knew it was true the first time he landed. And the first time he put one fair on this left ear, he sent me back to my corner wondering if I’d ever forget that poke. That was where I got my ear. In a round or two it puffed up and filled with blood so that it looked like a raw tomato. It felt worse than it looked. There was a whole comic opera chorus in my head, singing songs that sounded like the music you hear in the dentist’s chair just before they wake you up.

“What would have happened if Walcott hadn’t played surgeon for me, no one can tell. But along in the fourth or fifth round, he brought his glove over on the bad ear, pulled the heel across it and burst the ear. The songs stopped, the pain went, the ear shrank and Mr Walcott was stopped in round fifteen.”
    --Kid Lavigne
    Last edited by Greatest1942; 08-08-2011, 07:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• NChristo
    replied
    Originally posted by Greatest1942 View Post
    Ohh!!! I didnt see teh list my bad...why Barbados Joe Walcott is so low I dont know honestly...I never saw him...Nat did maybe..and I don't have enough ammunition to say yes or no...

Though from what I have read of Walcott he was a fanstastic hitter, but not much of a combination puncher...

Speed, Accuracy , power, timing al these go in making a great puncher...I don't know which bus Walcott missed Barnburner.

NChristo had I known it was Barbados I wouldnot have asked "larger man " question....I know of Fred Russel
    Thought you'd know of the Fred Russel fight, thought I'd mention it anyway amazes me every time I hear of it.
    Don't know too much of if Walcott was a combination puncher either but this list is pretty poor imo, if it's on combination punching, speed, power, timing then as I said before why is Jose Napoles and McCallum so low, the order of a lot of the names needs a big change.

Leave a comment:

• Greatest1942
    replied
    Originally posted by NChristo View Post
    He is talking about the Joe Walcott, not Jersey Joe.
    Ohh!!! I didnt see teh list my bad...why Barbados Joe Walcott is so low I dont know honestly...I never saw him...Nat did maybe..and I don't have enough ammunition to say yes or no...

Though from what I have read of Walcott he was a fanstastic hitter, but not much of a combination puncher...

Speed, Accuracy , power, timing al these go in making a great puncher...I don't know which bus Walcott missed Barnburner.

NChristo had I known it was Barbados I wouldnot have asked "larger man " question....I know of Fred Russel

Leave a comment:

• NChristo
    replied

Walcott, please let me know who did Walcott hurt who weighed much more than him ? Just curious? Ezzard Charles? Louis? He did not KO Abe Simons and Simons has a worse beard than Willard...I mentioned weigh , and also told that besides being heavier than Dempsey Willard was certainly tough and had a great chin...I don't think Liston would have put him away easily too.
    He is talking about the Joe Walcott, not Jersey Joe.
    Last edited by NChristo; 08-08-2011, 06:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Greatest1942
    replied
    Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
    Who said there was something wrong with him?

Just stating he's not the best example of a "tough and durable fighter" you could use to back up your examples.
    The fact that Carpeinter is world class , only shows that it was a good win on Dempsey's resume.

I don't think Knocking out world class opponents hurts...I do not discredit the Patterson KO by Liston too.

Leave a comment:

• Greatest1942
    replied
    Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
    We all know Jack Johnson was quite the bit past prime here.

He managed it the first time, putting him down 7 times in total.

Fulton nearly has the same ratio of Losses/KO losses as Patterson, albeit that's a good KO as he was so much heavier.

Why is Muhammad Ali not on this list then

Another point, you keep referring to weight. If this is the case how is Joe Walcott so low on this list? He's at #52 and routinely knocked out people much heavier than him.
    "He managed it the first time, putting him down 7 times in total."

He did not put him away in 26 rounds, and while Johnson was outside of his prime, Willard barely learnt to box some years ago...I dont think he could protect himself well, and he needed his durabilty to stay afloat...teh fight with Johnson speaks volumes about Willard's durability.

Fulton was good, he did not have a good chin...his Losses/Ko ratio is same as Patterson..it appears to me that in 18 seconds Dempsey hit Fulton much less (should be ), than Liston did in knocking out Patterson, who was also smaller than him.

Ali did not have one punch power, never really sat down on his punches, was a flurrier than a combination puncher, needed really a great amount of punches generally to hurt someone), has rarely some 1st round KO's or so to show he had raw power...

Just to reiterate ...RAW POWER IS A CRITERIA , NOT THE CRITERIA...you must have raw power to hurt guys quickly, or with one punch...but you also need the other assets to be a great puncher. Besides I do think that Ko percentage should count for something, and in these Walcott or Ali falls short.

Walcott, please let me know who did Walcott hurt who weighed much more than him ? Just curious? Ezzard Charles? Louis? He did not KO Abe Simons and Simons has a worse beard than Willard...I mentioned weigh , and also told that besides being heavier than Dempsey Willard was certainly tough and had a great chin...I don't think Liston would have put him away easily too.

Leave a comment:

• Barn
    replied
    What is so wrong with Carpentier? he was 17 when he lost to Dixie Kid,18 when he lost to Klaus and Papke,and 20 when he lost to Jeanette.
    Carpentier was 30 when he lost to Gibbons. Tunney beat him up, but he hung on...staged almost a comeback...then was stopped by body punch,didn't quit, and does not seem to be so undurable either, outside his prime he lost to Loughran .

He won the european titles at welter, middle, lightheavy and heavy. Today it will be equal to holding some belt...he winning percentage seems fine.

He held his own against Dempsey , Tunney, Jeannette, Papke, and defeated Jeff Smith, who beat Les Darcy and drew several times with Harry Greb and Mike Gibbons. He was not a great fighter, but he certainly was world class and no bum...
    Who said there was something wrong with him?

Just stating he's not the best example of a "tough and durable fighter" you could use to back up your examples.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X