No announcement yet.

Good MMA Trainers?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
    How about Red Devil Sport Club and now Fedor Team that worked with Fedor? He's considered the best heavyweight ever. Or what about Chute Box who worked with both Anderson and Wanderlei Silva (no relation). Or 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu, who used a no-gi style taught by Eddie Bravo, inventor of the "rubber guard." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Bravo
    When you get a great team together... Its incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post

Thats what I noticed a few years back... Im glad you confirmed it. Ultimately MMA is a sport and the person that games the sport as a whole will go the farthest. Unfortunately when you have six guys with differenent backgrounds you maximize the probability that at least a few of those guys are not so good lol. That is kind of what set Rousey down the path to self destruction.
      Totally agree with this.Rousey's background was Judo, and her arm bar could could come from nearly anywhere once she took you doen and had controɔ. She gave all her leverage though (pun intended) when she tried to be a stand up fighter. Never hook with a hooker in boxing, and never fight a stand up fight when you're a ground fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Totally agree with this.Rousey's background was Judo, and her arm bar could could come from nearly anywhere once she took you doen and had controɔ. She gave all her leverage though (pun intended) when she tried to be a stand up fighter. Never hook with a hooker in boxing, and never fight a stand up fight when you're a ground fighter.
        Ya confused an ignorant reader, me!

Is there suspose to be an "away" between 'gave' and 'all.'

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post

I knew there had to be a few I just couldn't think of them. I thought Golden Glory but then I remembered, no, steroids isn't really training is it.

Is it fair to say you can see an improvement in their fighters as they go to those gyms?

I mean, no argument, those names are legit, but is there evidence those names would not have done so well in any other gyms?
          Good point. I mean, would Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard have still done as well without Angelo Dundee? Or Holyfield early on without Lou Duva? Probably not. I know Lennox Lewis definitely needed Emanuel Stewart to extend his career as long as he did. So I would say it takes a good trainer to make the most out of someone's abilities, bring out their strengths, while protecting or minimizing their weaknesses. Kind of like how Stewart got Wlad to protect that weaker chin than Vitali's.

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post

Ya confused an ignorant reader, me!

Is there suspose to be an "away" between 'gave' and 'all.'
            Lol, yes there was supposed to be an "away" in there.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Yup. isn't it amazing psychologically how one minute someone can be unbeatable, the next, very beatable? We saw it with Roy... I believe to this day that Tarver's amazing technical feat was to get angry. Yup... Guy got so angry that he walked through Roy's feints to pin him against the ropes lol. And after that Roy was beaten again and again. With Roussey suddenly people could avoid the arm bar with a full on boxing attack that would freeze her. Horrible habit caused no doubt by that trainer.

its like Tyson before Douglas nobody noticed the lisp!!! True story: I was teaching here in bayview and the basketball coach (my pal) told me how he saw Tyson in a bar once and swore he looked small and he could take him lol. Coach was former NBA, and I pointed out his own size. But Tyson, could look beatable! But not when he was knockin em down ond by one.
              Marchegiano Marchegiano likes this.

Comment

In the early days of MMA, before everyone was cross-trained, nobody much was. Everyone used their own martial art, and did not know much else. There was plenty of intrigue over how various arts would stand up to each other. That was a big part of the appeal of the new sport. It was on TV for the first time. I am not talking about what they might have done in ancient times. It was new to us.

MMA is no good for this anymore. Everyone is cross-trained, has a boxing coach, a wrestling coach, a judo coach, etc., as has already been pointed out.

I think the new breed are more competent fighters because of all that technique bundled together. Sure, they do not box as well as boxers, but any training is better than none at all. Of course it is apparent that Alexander Pope might disagree--

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing."
                Marchegiano Marchegiano likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                  In the early days of MMA, before everyone was cross-trained, nobody much was. Everyone used their own martial art, and did not know much else. There was plenty of intrigue over how various arts would stand up to each other. That was a big part of the appeal of the new sport. It was on TV for the first time. I am not talking about what they might have done in ancient times. It was new to us.

MMA is no good for this anymore. Everyone is cross-trained, has a boxing coach, a wrestling coach, a judo coach, etc., as has already been pointed out.

I think the new breed are more competent fighters because of all that technique bundled together. Sure, they do not box as well as boxers, but any training is better than none at all. Of course it is apparent that Alexander Pope might disagree--

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing."
                  - - The first ever multidiscipline martial arts tourney was held late 70s, wanna say 78.

Promoter put up the $$$ to attract a worldwide tourney, and one of the quarterfinalists was a bare knuckler from San Antone, a former HS football lineman who had established quite a reputation in the Laredo Bars. He was due to fight Royce Gracey, but broke both his hands in the previous bout and withdrew. Gracey got a freebie instead of getting KTFO!!!

Anything else U monkeys need to know?

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post

- - The first ever multidiscipline martial arts tourney was held late 70s, wanna say 78.

Promoter put up the $$$ to attract a worldwide tourney, and one of the quarterfinalists was a bare knuckler from San Antone, a former HS football lineman who had established quite a reputation in the Laredo Bars. He was due to fight Royce Gracey, but broke both his hands in the previous bout and withdrew. Gracey got a freebie instead of getting KTFO!!!

You have to mean an older Gracie.

Royce was born in 66...he'd've been abouts 12 in 78 bud.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post

Thats incredible that at 11,12 years old Gracie was able to compete with not only full grown men, but men twice his size!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X