No announcement yet.

Who Was Your Yoka?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tatabanya View Post

Not many remember that Golota won a medal at the Seoul 1988 Olympics. After watching the video again, one notices the huge difference in bulk, and wonders: did the juice he surely was on as a professional cause some extra problem to his mind?

https://olympics.com/en/video/andrew...-at-seoul-1988

Also funny to see Golota using a sort of Ali style against his Kenyan opponent... he was floating like a butterfly

A lot of guys looked so different.... Razor Ruddock was another... Looked beautiful sparring Hoilmes, etc. They all had talent coming up, brings us full circle with the thread, Nice video. Yeah he had some mental issues.
    Tatabanya likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeMoney View Post
      Michael Grant. Not sure if I was really as high on him as a boxer as much as I was pining for the next great American heavyweight. Welp, colored lights can hypnotize, sparkle someone else's eyes....

Lennox took his soul, and the rest was downhill.
      The aforementioned Andrew Golota was the first to have a chance to expose Grant. He had him out on his feet in the first round, could not finish him. Then he quit in the final round after a knockdown, even if he could still win the fight.

He was some brain, that Golota.
      billeau2 and DeeMoney like this.

Comment

[QUOTE=Willie Pep 229;n31424588]

No such thing as a clean Eastern European - they made them take PEDs. Phuck, those animals (Soviet Empire) actually tried to breed monkey-men with gene splicing. If he was in the Polish system he had them forced on him at one time or another.]

An article on this was in The John Birch Society magazine years ago.
        Willie Pep 229 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post

No such thing as a clean Eastern European - they made them take PEDs. Phuck, those animals (Soviet Empire) actually tried to breed monkey-men with gene splicing. If he was in the Polish system he had them forced on him at one time or another.
          - - Red Chinese well ahead of Ruskies in breeding programs.

I remember, and remember, I learned out to read by going over international news, city state, and sports sections of newpapers before I ever entered public school.

Anyway, the Chinese had set up a breeding program mating humans with apes to create a lower order peasant working stock. Now given most men ain't gonna be delighted with mating with Apes unspecified, the lowest of the low young estrus girls musta been forced into service though I wasn't educated enough to consider the details then.

Made a big impression on Kid Me then, and always stuck with me in memory.

Let's not mention modern Western breeding programs for humans. 'tis a rather untidy, unseamly science at work for the great good of you, me, and all of us no doubt.
          Willie Pep 229 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post

- - Red Chinese well ahead of Ruskies in breeding programs.

I remember, and remember, I learned out to read by going over international news, city state, and sports sections of newpapers before I ever entered public school.

Anyway, the Chinese had set up a breeding program mating humans with apes to create a lower order peasant working stock. Now given most men ain't gonna be delighted with mating with Apes unspecified, the lowest of the low young estrus girls musta been forced into service though I wasn't educated enough to consider the details then.

Made a big impression on Kid Me then, and always stuck with me in memory.

Let's not mention modern Western breeding programs for humans. 'tis a rather untidy, unseamly science at work for the great good of you, me, and all of us no doubt.
            I remember as a kid circa 1967 an announcement that the 1968 O Games would include some sort of gene/gender testing. The entire East German Women's Swim Team disappeared off the map.

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post

I remember as a kid circa 1967 an announcement that the 1968 O Games would include some sort of gene/gender testing. The entire East German Women's Swim Team disappeared off the map.
              - - The 68 Olympics were the first ever Olympics to do drug testing as I recall though it was nowhere near the level of Olympic drug testing today.

And still they had record breakers, some of whom kept their records for decades.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                Who were you riding high on and betting he was a future champ if not a future great, but then things got spoilt?

I remember well my own Yoka.

He was making a good stir among junior welters and welters back in the mid to late 70's. Unfortunately, an all time great on anyone's list was moving up in weight right then, and my tip, Monroe Brooks, was going to be his first opponent.

We didn't know as much about Duran back then. I figured Brooks would give him a helluva fight, if not KO him with one of his coiling roundhouses. I was really looking forward to it on free TV. But Brooks got broken down and destroyed over eight rounds by the ferocious Duran. He fought hard, but Duran turned out to be a technical marvel as well as a tiger.

These days Brooks could be (and would be) safely guided to a championship. His management decided to take on Duran, and the rest is fate.

Tell me who your Yoka or your Brooks was.

Yo, this is a really brilliant forum topic, so props to you for that. Will prob subscribe.

You seem to know more about boxing than I know about anything, but I remember in the late 2000's a lot of people were expecting UK people David Price to hit the next level, not that I was particularly a fan.

The thing is, the devastating nature of his defeats has almost convinced me that he wasn't being 'safely guided to a championship', and was just getting thrown in with anyone, but now I think about it, he probably was being moved slowly and simply couldn't deal with anything above domestic level. Prob not hardcore enough to answer that.

One I was a massive fan of, is David Haye. Weird suggestion, because I know he had success, but I was a total casual in the early 2010s, and thought the sky was the limit: HW undisputed. D'OH.

Worse still, when he made a comeback, I made the same mistake and had my hopes pinned on him nicking the titles off AJ! TWAT.

As The Who said, 'won't get fooled again'.
                Last edited by P to the J; 05-19-2022, 06:51 PM.
                The Old LefHook likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Nash out View Post

Wilder is still a good pick. For me, if Fury wasn't around, he'd have been the top dog. I'd still favour him to KO Usyk. I bet Broner was many people's Yoka, not mine as he didn't fully convince me in several of his closer fights, but he completely stagnated, went backwards if anything and did even less than I thought he would. Nash did tip Frankie Gomez for big things, then he put on about 10 stone and retired, so certainly not the best pick of the Great Nash.
                  I was told your Yoka was Nate Robinson!? Was my anonymous source lying to me?

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                    - - Yoka could go on to KO Fury in his next fight and monkeys gonna say he the best ever.

Has anyone's favorite ever lost?

Of course. Like Leffy, it happens.
                    Yeah, but times have changed. You're not allowed to lose now. Brands are built on the back of that '0', and worse, you can see the discourse among boxing fans shift around a boxer that takes a loss, even if it was an off-day. I'm as guilty of it as anyone on this site.

Comment

Originally posted by Tatabanya View Post

Neither do I, but not everybody gets caught.

Of course he was just 20 years old when he medaled in Seoul. Still, the diference in muscle is striking.

ucxbuasecnhzfa1cikzl.jpg

hqdefault.jpg
                      Look at that roid chin, jesus

Comment

Working...
                      X