Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Was Your Yoka?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Who Was Your Yoka?

    Who were you riding high on and betting he was a future champ if not a future great, but then things got spoilt?

    I remember well my own Yoka.

    He was making a good stir among junior welters and welters back in the mid to late 70's. Unfortunately, an all time great on anyone's list was moving up in weight right then, and my tip, Monroe Brooks, was going to be his first opponent.

    We didn't know as much about Duran back then. I figured Brooks would give him a helluva fight, if not KO him with one of his coiling roundhouses. I was really looking forward to it on free TV. But Brooks got broken down and destroyed over eight rounds by the ferocious Duran. He fought hard, but Duran turned out to be a technical marvel as well as a tiger.

    These days Brooks could be (and would be) safely guided to a championship. His management decided to take on Duran, and the rest is fate.

    Tell me who your Yoka or your Brooks was.
    P to the J likes this.

  • #2
    Mine was David Reid, Fernando Vargas, Shane Mosley. I thought all three would go a lot further than they did. And Andrew Golota, too.

    Comment


    • #3
      Whilst I don't exactly rate Anthony Mundine that highly...after Charles Hatley dropped him 5 times for a K.O. victory I got super high on Hatley. Didn't go anywhere though really. I also had hopes for Howard Eastman. The problem was he loved the weed too much. Phenomenal talent but not a great drive for success.

      Comment


      • #4
        Juan Ma. I see highlights and this pint size Joe Louis! Cutting them down like a lawn trimmer! Big power light weight, I am salvating at the chops... That didn't pan out so well.
        The Old LefHook and Marchegiano like this.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by markusmod View Post
          Mine was David Reid, Fernando Vargas, Shane Mosley. I thought all three would go a lot further than they did. And Andrew Golota, too.
          Those are respectable...
          markusmod and like this.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by markusmod View Post
            And Andrew Golota, too.
            Same here.

            For me, Golota was a sure bet to become an alphabet titleholder at the very least. I was shocked by his mental crumbling. He had everything to become a major player, and flushed that same "everything" into the toilet.

            Comment


            • #7
              Deontay Wilder but y'all probably already knew that.

              Listen, he did drop Fury hard so I do not feel like I was that damn wrong. It's real simple, from 2012 to this moment and until I see reason to believe he can not, I still believe Deontay Wilder has the ability to KO any man. Including Tyson Fury. He can do it, will he ever? Probably not, but he got close enough for me to still feel like he can get there.


              Bit like Archie vs Rocky. Or Charles it probably better. Charles damn near beat Rocky. I don't reckon a Charles fan should be ashamed he believed Charles had the good to win, he did have them goods he just never figured out a way to put it together perfectly for the W.


              Deontay lost a knucklebiter that featured a count most would not have given the fallen a chance on. Not bitching, Tyson's rise the single greatest moment in my era, but, he was this ****in' close you know? I don't feel too terrible about it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
                Deontay Wilder but y'all probably already knew that.

                Listen, he did drop Fury hard so I do not feel like I was that damn wrong. It's real simple, from 2012 to this moment and until I see reason to believe he can not, I still believe Deontay Wilder has the ability to KO any man. Including Tyson Fury. He can do it, will he ever? Probably not, but he got close enough for me to still feel like he can get there.


                Bit like Archie vs Rocky. Or Charles it probably better. Charles damn near beat Rocky. I don't reckon a Charles fan should be ashamed he believed Charles had the good to win, he did have them goods he just never figured out a way to put it together perfectly for the W.


                Deontay lost a knucklebiter that featured a count most would not have given the fallen a chance on. Not bitching, Tyson's rise the single greatest moment in my era, but, he was this ****in' close you know? I don't feel too terrible about it.
                Wilder is still a good pick. For me, if Fury wasn't around, he'd have been the top dog. I'd still favour him to KO Usyk. I bet Broner was many people's Yoka, not mine as he didn't fully convince me in several of his closer fights, but he completely stagnated, went backwards if anything and did even less than I thought he would. Nash did tip Frankie Gomez for big things, then he put on about 10 stone and retired, so certainly not the best pick of the Great Nash.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Mosley was another one for me. After he whipped Hoya and then some nobodies, Papa Smurf even had him way overpriced, and was going on and on about Shane being an ATG. Then Forrest whomped him twice, and even Winky Wright handled him easily. Sometime after that, Mayweather got around to Mosley. Isn't that correct, wasn't that the order?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Tatabanya View Post

                    Same here.

                    For me, Golota was a sure bet to become an alphabet titleholder at the very least. I was shocked by his mental crumbling. He had everything to become a major player, and flushed that same "everything" into the toilet.
                    You dope! Lol seriously Golota had a lot of talent. He could hit hard, could throw most punches well. i think Duva really thought the world of him. I mean all things considered he had a decent go...

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X
                    TOP