No announcement yet.

Underhanded things at 2nd Lewis/Schmelling fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underhanded things at 2nd Lewis/Schmelling fight

the second fight between Lewis and Schmeling had a lot of political undertones because of tension with Germany. The night before the fight someone kept calling Schmelings room phone waking him up so Schmeling didn't get a good nights sleep. Then on the way to the arena some official looking guys warned him that there had been threats on his life. Then when he was dressing for the fight some official looking guys knocked on his door and said they had to warn him that people might be throwing beer bottles into the ring. By the time Schmeling got to the ring he was demoralized and tired. And then when the fight started Lewis did the stupidest thing anyone could do in a 15 round fight. He put everything into which meant if he didn't knockout Schmeling he would tire in the early to middle rounds. But of course he knocked out Schmsing in the 1st round as you know. In their 1st fight Schmeling knocked out Lewis cold in the 12th round. But Schmeling held no grudges and became life time friends with Lewis helping him out of financial trouble.

One thing I’ve never understood was when Schmeling was interviewed the day before his first bout with Louis he stated “The walk here from training camp has put me in the best of condition”. His training camp was in Napanoch NY a 83 mile trek to Yankee Stadium!

Comment

I think the biggest dirty trick was when Max got to the ring and realized they switch fighters on him at the last minute, "What happened to Lennox" he asked, now he had to face some guy named Joseph Louis Barrow.

Come on, try to get his name right. I make all kinds of typos with some terrible gramer thrown in, but get the man's name correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post
        I think the biggest dirty trick was when Max got to the ring and realized they switch fighters on him at the last minute, "What happened to Lennox" he asked, now he had to face some guy named Joseph Louis Barrow.

Come on, try to get his name right. I make all kinds of typos with some terrible gramer thrown in, but get the man's name correct.
        I would have said it if you hadn't.

Comment

Kassius Klay.

Comment

Kassius Ku Klay...

Comment

Working...
            X