Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forgotten contenders

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fred Fulton. Tremendous puncher. Highly considered during his prime. It could be argued that Dempseys 18 second destruction of prime Fulton was the greatest win of any pre championship heavyweight champion.

Comment

Joe Choynski always intrigued me. He was universally praised for his fighting abilities and his punch. Too bad their is no film footage aside of seconds of sparring with Jeffries in 1910.
      billeau2 and Willie Pep 229 like this.

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
        Joe Choynski always intrigued me. He was universally praised for his fighting abilities and his punch. Too bad their is no film footage aside of seconds of sparring with Jeffries in 1910.
        - -Oh to have his KO footage of JJohnson, but we do have a photo of when he roomed with JJ in Texas. Quite fond of that double barrel 10 gauge elephant gun...
        0060.jpg

billeau2 and Willie Pep 229 like this.

Comment

Jimmy Thunder - a man's man!
          billeau2 likes this.

Comment

Scrolling boxrec, and you always find interesting destinies of the past.

For ex., found a Battling Bozo (Curtis Hambright), not on overwhelming record 45W–38L–19D,
            but ranked the #9 lt. heavy of the world by The Ring in 1931.

boxrec says: Hambright retired from boxing when he began to lose his vision. Family history says
            that during one bout, someone put tons of resin on his gloves and repeatedly punched Hambright
            in the eyes, destroying his vision and career.

According to the Times Daily of Florence, Alabama, Hambright was admitted to hospital February 9th,
            1942, suffering from the effects of poison. A hospital spokesman reported his condition was "only fair".

https://boxrec.com/media/images//arc...o_Battling.jpg

Comment

A forerunner to one-eyed Joe Frazier:

The Ring 1943 world rated lightweight #8 Slugger White (79-11-15) was [boxrec] forced to retire
              from boxing, when it was disclosed that White had a glass eye.

https://boxrec.com/media/images//thu...uggerWhite.JPG

Comment

Jimmy Bivins. Probably the deepest resume for a man who never won a title.

Holman Williams, Lloyd Marshall, George Chuvalo, Billy Graham, David Tua, Yaqui Lopez, George Benton, we’re also great contenders.
                billeau2 likes this.

Comment

Troy Waters and Howard Eastman.
                  billeau2 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post
                    Scrolling boxrec, and you always find interesting destinies of the past.

For ex., found a Battling Bozo (Curtis Hambright), not on overwhelming record 45W–38L–19D,
                    but ranked the #9 lt. heavy of the world by The Ring in 1931.

boxrec says: Hambright retired from boxing when he began to lose his vision. Family history says
                    that during one bout, someone put tons of resin on his gloves and repeatedly punched Hambright
                    in the eyes, destroying his vision and career.

According to the Times Daily of Florence, Alabama, Hambright was admitted to hospital February 9th,
                    1942, suffering from the effects of poison. A hospital spokesman reported his condition was "only fair".

https://boxrec.com/media/images//arc...o_Battling.jpg
                    - - Good find.

Moderns like to ream out current champs and contenders not realizing by modern standards some of those older champs and contenders didn't have modern glossy records the moderns insist fruitlessly on. Joe Louis bum of the month club was mostly against Ring contender types, it's just that he was so prolific that he would knock em out of contender status whereby they become bums.

In my day that continues to this very day, hvy contenders I loved starting with Quarry, Shavers, Lyle, the last two I thought well whooped Ali, especially egregious when Lyle was ropadoping Ali he gets stopped! Also Tex Cobb who always came to fight.

Today I'd say Derek Chisora, Carlos Takam, Tomasz Adamek who was LH/Cruiser champ, and most especially Tony Thompson, an epic throwback southpaw that would beat most heavy champs in history save most back then wouldn't fight lefties.

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
                      Yeah Choynski had a solid reputation.

Comment

Working...
                      X