Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worst Heavyweight Champion in Boxing History?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst Heavyweight Champion in Boxing History?

I got in an argument with someone about Charles Martin. I said he's got to be one of the worst, if not the worst, heavyweight champion in boxing history. Obviously, he's likely not. But who is the worst heavyweight in boxing history?

Charles Martin?

The worst true heavyweight champion was Leon Spinks. It could have been different but unfortunately his management only wanted to get him a few big paydays and suck him dry. Properly managed Leon could have had a much better career.

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
      Charles Martin?

The worst true heavyweight champion was Leon Spinks. It could have been different but unfortunately his management only wanted to get him a few big paydays and suck him dry. Properly managed Leon could have had a much better career.

Leon Spinks. Yeah. But he was a cruiserweight at first. He had Ali on his resume, albeit an Ali that had no business in being in the ring. Whenever I think of Spinks, I think of him crapping himself while Tyson does his ring walk. You think he was really the worst?

If we compare Charles Martin to Leon Spinks, I think I'd put Martin as being worse than Spinks. I think Bermane Stiverne is worse than Leon Spinks.
      billeau2 likes this.

Comment

- -Leon can't be the worst if he holds an emphatic victory over the then longtime #1 Ali.

Sorta like Marvin Hart can't be the worst if he holds an emphatic victory over Jack Johnson.

Charles Martin in the top 10 of the worst I suppose. He never beat a standing champ and the guy he beat was obviously on one leg barely able to stand and never fought again.

Comment

Jess Willard is one that comes to mind. There’s also Primo Carnera

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
            - -Leon can't be the worst if he holds an emphatic victory over the then longtime #1 Ali.

Sorta like Marvin Hart can't be the worst if he holds an emphatic victory over Jack Johnson.

Charles Martin in the top 10 of the worst I suppose. He never beat a standing champ and the guy he beat was obviously on one leg barely able to stand and never fought again.

Originally posted by Flickergrab98 View Post
            Jess Willard is one that comes to mind. There’s also Primo Carnera
            Nice. Yeah, I looked up some lists on Google, and they keep saying the same things over and over again. Leon Spinks is number one on several lists. Say what?!? That's ridiculous.

Here's another one: Tony Tucker. I think he's better than Stiverne and Martin. Maybe Buster Douglas should be a name mentioning here. I still think Martin and Stiverne are worse. I can't think of any with worse records or competition.

Maybe we just have one of the weakest heavyweight divisions ever now.

Comment

Originally posted by Cypocryphy View Post

Nice. Yeah, I looked up some lists on Google, and they keep saying the same things over and over again. Leon Spinks is number one on several lists. Say what?!? That's ridiculous.

Here's another one: Tony Tucker. I think he's better than Stiverne and Martin. Maybe Buster Douglas should be a name mentioning here. I still think Martin and Stiverne are worse. I can't think of any with worse records or competition.

I don’t know how I didn’t think of Douglas.
              As for the quality of the heavyweight division, I think it’s better to say that up until recently we had one of the weakest heavyweight divisions. But now with people like Fury, Wilder, AJ, Usyk and several other interesting prospects rising up, I’d say the heavyweight division is starting to take off again.
              Cypocryphy likes this.

Comment

- -Tony and Buster two of the earliest, modern, supersized hvys were very well skilled. Had they been managed better their lot would've been quite different, esp Buster who was early on a prediabetic with typical weight gains.

Tucker beat Buster and McCall before they KOed Tyson and Lewis, and prior to that Tony and Buster's showdown one of the best ever hvy fights that can be had. Stiverne another Holmsey in that he never beat a standing champ holding a title won in the ring.
                Cypocryphy likes this.

Comment

Leon Spinks. Yeah. But he was a cruiserweight at first. He had Ali on his resume, albeit an Ali that had no business in being in the ring. Whenever I think of Spinks, I think of him crapping himself while Tyson does his ring walk. You think he was really the worst?

If we compare Charles Martin to Leon Spinks, I think I'd put Martin as being worse than Spinks. I think Bermane Stiverne is worse than Leon Spinks. [/FONT][/SIZE]
                  Leon didn't fight Tyson, his brother Micheal did. Leon was probably not the worst, but certainly amongst the worst. The Ali he got was shot and didn train very hard for their first fight.
                  Cypocryphy likes this.

Comment

All-in-all would be different from the QB era

Jem Ward is my all-time pick for worst HW champion, worst champion period to be honest, in all of boxing history period. His career is one of fixing, he bought his title, he bought his defenses, and when he could not buy off an opponent he just avoided them. That came to a head when James Burke wanted a HW title fight. Ward told him he had to raise money, so James did, then Ward took the money and retired. He held a vacancy bout between Burke and another fighter, Burke won, Ward refused to give up the title and announced he'd rather return as champion than see the english crown on a such a man lacking so much englishness...Burke was born in London and lived and trained in England his entire life, there was 0-nonenglish to him. After that Ward did the same thing again but this time offered Burke a fight for the vacant title against a man Ward had defeated for the title, the former Irish champion Byran(or some such close). Burke didn't know Byran was a fixed fighter who wasn't expecting to get properly snuffed, so Burke hit him like a proper fight, and killed him. Ward still refused to give up the title. Burke then was asked to come to America where he could fight for the championship against the current Irish champ, O'Rourke. Burke did that, and if you look at CBZ his title claim comes from that fight. Burke went on to lose his title in a semi-fixed fight whose outcome came from pressure from, you guessed it, a gang of Ward loyalists who threatened the ref's life. Ward would not actually give up his title until Bendigo won the title. He never passed it to Burke or anyone else, always maintaining he is the champion since he never lost, but, would not fight anyone for years and years. Eventually even Ward realized Ward's **** is long in the tooth and he gave his belt over to Bendigo after Ben had whooped both Burke and the Ward gang.

Imagine taking customers money and giving them nothing multiple times. Setting up vacant fights then going well **** wrong guy won so **** null this contest. Then just sitting on the title refusing to accept the world has moved on from you old selfish ass.

So I got Jem Ward for the all time worst

In QB, I'v never been big on the 30s guys. Sharkey, Primo, Baer, Braddock....they all kinda seem similar to me to Martin. Just there, not really anything else but in position and lucky.

Not terribly respectful of the very early fella's championship legacy either. Not to say they were unskilled, just that, take John L. John L ties a guy and because he's super popular that's all the world needs to call him world champion there after. World champion from a draw? On what planet is that legacy? It's uh, not great, tbh.

Worse than Martin though....I dunno about that....Ward but no one else I can think of. There was a rich dude in ancient times who paid his way through Olympia, but he was caught.

Cypocryphy likes this.

Comment

Working...
                    X