Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gene Tunney: Would his style be effective in any era?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Super Laszlo View Post

YDKSAB

you have just fell for the tunney hype and propaganda kid
    Bravo!! You are indeed a superb Half Wit SL... Superb! You have the trolling down, and the search for a button to push... But kid...there are levels to the troll game. let me reiterate that you need to study the Queen B to really get it right. Persistence will pay off though!

Now lets gently go over this "attempt" shall we? Propoganda for? has there been a recent rekindling of all things James Tunney? Hype and propoganda kind of imply somethng present and affective in the minds of some group being affected. One can hardly "Just fall" for ideas that go back to the 1920's, and have no real coherent stream into the present epistemology of the subject at hand.

What I like is that you now know that indeed! you did show the propencity of being a real half wit! Its a great effort indeed!! I look foward to more spirited ideations showing the true half wit you are, but this is a start!

Comment

Firstly you replied with the wrong account lol

Secondly If Tunney is so good, why did he need a fixed fight to beat an old Dempsey?
      Hey!! you blew an opportunity to troll two for the price of one... Not good! Better study the Queen B and get it right, he would never pass up the opportunity to troll Houdini and I... You need work on that troll game kid...

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
        I’m not a “kid”. I’ve been studying all these pre Louis heavyweight champions since the early 70’s. At that time via 8 mm film.

Tunney was the best pure boxer we have ever had as heavyweight champion. Tough, supremely conditioned, quick, great jab/ combination puncher and smart.

Although not a Dempsey level puncher Tunney had an underrated right hand. It was a damaging weapon. One of Tunneys trainers lived into the Liston era. He commented in an article I located years ago…”it’s not understood today but during his time Tunneys right hand was as feared as Listons”

I would not underrate Tunneys chances vs any heavyweight.
        I agree. Great point, never thought of that (the bolded).

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
          Tunney quoted Shakespeare spontaneously and chatted it up with G.B. Shaw. He was Woke and would not harm disadvantaged negroes. People make out like he was prejudiced, but Tunney was known to never misgender a fly.
          AS a kid in Hell's Kitchen tunney and gang would stray on to a large steamer ship leaving the Hudson... when the ship was leaving the birth, at some point the idea was to take a dive from the top decks and swim back... There is no way to describe how freakin dangerous that is... Literally there was probably a 10% chance, or so of dying... You have the jump, the distance, how far away a ship can get in little time... or getting caught, etc. You have tide shiat, and what if you get injured jumping and have to swim?

With that said, when we are comparing someone like Tunney and Vitalie (for example) can anyone see why Tunney was a different animal? Fighting Dempsey is nothing to someone who is crazy enough to play by taking risks like that... And what would fighting someone like Anthony Joshua be to someone like that? Lol.

Willie Pep 229 Willie Pep 229 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
            Thing is being of a specific race in of itself does not make one a great fighter. Tunney had an inherit prejudice against blacks. That does not mean they were better nor does that mean he was afraid to fight them.
            I wonder about Tunney's 'racism' - here's a weird theory for you . . . (mine)

Tunney wanted bad to be more than a pug, and more than a tough Irish kid in a tough Greenwich Village, so he educated himself, in the end he even 'married up' ! He wanted to be a gentleman in the worst way. In a sense he kind of got there, 'in the worst way.'

So here's the theory . . don't look at his childhood or his neighborhood (inherent) but instead look at the 'educated' opinion of his day: eugenics and all the race theory that went along.

He loved for people to know he was well read and had opinions to share, he thought highly of himself.

It is not a reach to think he would have bought in to all the intellectual racism of the day.

He succeeded in becoming an elitist but he also educated himself into a racist. LOL

P.S. The Irish thing probably counts too.

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post

I wonder about Tunney's 'racism' - here's a weird theory for you . . . (mine)

Tunney wanted bad to be more than a pug, and more than a tough Irish kid in a tough Greenwich Village, so he educated himself, in the end he even 'married up' ! He wanted to be a gentleman in the worst way. In a sense he kind of got there, 'in the worst way.'

So here's the theory . . don't look at his childhood or his neighborhood (inherent) but instead look at the 'educated' opinion of his day: eugenics and all the race theory that went along.

He loved for people to know he was well read and had opinions to share, he thought highly of himself.

It is not a reach to think he would have bought in to all the intellectual racism of the day.

He succeeded in becoming an elitist but he also educated himself into a racist. LOL

P.S. The Irish thing probably counts too.
              Solid post bruh.

you make tunney sound like human garbage doe lmao

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post

Bravo!! You are indeed a superb Half Wit SL... Superb! You have the trolling down, and the search for a button to push... But kid...there are levels to the troll game. let me reiterate that you need to study the Queen B to really get it right. Persistence will pay off though!

Now lets gently go over this "attempt" shall we? Propoganda for? has there been a recent rekindling of all things James Tunney? Hype and propoganda kind of imply somethng present and affective in the minds of some group being affected. One can hardly "Just fall" for ideas that go back to the 1920's, and have no real coherent stream into the present epistemology of the subject at hand.

What I like is that you now know that indeed! you did show the propencity of being a real half wit! Its a great effort indeed!! I look foward to more spirited ideations showing the true half wit you are, but this is a start!
                now i suspect you as a gay tbh...

why else would you say all this.

Comment

Thing is it’s very easy to look back with today’s eyes and perceive racist language. Those times were obviously very different from our own. What is looked down upon as horrific racist language/thoughts today may have been quite typical then. You see this done with Dempsey quite often.

Comment

Horrible racism being typical of the time doesn't excuse it in my opinion.

That aside, I'm a big fan of Gene Tunney the fighter.

billeau2 billeau2 likes this.

Comment

now i suspect you as a gay tbh...

why else would you say all this.
                      Like I care? About the suspicions of a half wit? brahahaha... a pathetic half wit at that...

Comment

Working...
                      X