No announcement yet.

Questions For Tyson Fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeh they probably make it worse. When they bend the facts and that. As for could he be beaten by some other greats. I think so, Ali, Foreman, Liston, Louis, Holmes. Would all have a good chance, not to say he couldnt beat them tho.

Comment

Originally posted by The Iron Man View Post
      Yeh they probably make it worse. When they bend the facts and that. As for could he be beaten by some other greats. I think so, Ali, Foreman, Liston, Louis, Holmes. Would all have a good chance, not to say he couldnt beat them tho.
      The only problem I have, or have ever had, with the vast majority of Tyson fans is that they so easily dismiss everyone else as an afterthought to 'prime' Tyson that it borders on being ludicrous.

He may well have been able to beat anyone in history, but we'll never know because that sort of thing only exists in the fans' minds. To present all of these things as fact- Mike Tyson would annihilate anyone - is ridiculous.

Again, they only see what they want to see and ignore everything else. Thats not something I have to prove its self evident.

Comment

We can never say any other heavy could beat the other! Thats the good thing, we can discuss it here lol! People have there favourites and some get...well too passionate.

Comment

Originally posted by Yaman View Post

I think because Holmes still had a lot left in him when Tyson destroyed him. One of his best wins was way after Tyson, and he continued to give good, sometimes great fighters a run for their money. Can't really say the same for old Ali, Louis, Liston etc.
          Liston? Are you suggesting Holmes had more left at the time Tyson beat him than Liston did when Ali beat him? That's ridiculous, seriously. Holmes had been inactive for two years, and was coming off successive losses to Spinks as it was. Furthermore, he was 39 years old! For someone who lacks a serious punch, and relies heavily on speed and reflexes, that is ancient.

Liston on the other hand was coming off successive first round knockouts of Floyd Patterson, was the heavyweight champ, hasn't lost in 10 years, and was only 32 years old. (Though some say he was slightly older). If you watch Liston on film in the Patterson bouts, he was still very much the fighter he was in he pre-title peak, perhaps just slightly a lesser fighter. He looked slow against Ali, because of how fast Ali was, and how immobile he made him look.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkins View Post
            I can do better than that. I can name one journeyman heavyweight and one blown-up, over the hill cruiserweight that could defeat Tyson. Thus the reason he fails to make my top-ten.
            Who's going to compare someones abilities while outside their prime? Someone that's looking for any reason to be right. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by RossCA View Post
              Who's going to compare someones abilities while outside their prime? Someone that's looking for any reason to be right. LOL

Nah, not looking to be right. He asked for top 10 guys to beat Tyson in his prime, I gave him one that can arguably be a top 10er and a journeyman. Playing devil's advocate ya dig? Plus I just wanted to see what he would say in response.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkins View Post
                Before I start this, let me say I am not trying to start a war or words nor am I flaming anyone. I will also say I am a Tyson fan, just not of the way some of his fans like to portray him or themselves.

On to the questions...

Why is it that it's ok for Tyson's fans to run other champions( Holmes, Louis & Marciano ) into the ground for being in weak eras of the division's history. Yet they will not acknowledge the weakness of the era Tyson fought in?

Why is it that other fighters are buried for fighting past champs and fighters for fighting over-the-hill former champions, yet Tyson is lauded for having defeated an old Larry Holmes?

Why is it that when other heavyweights fight, and defeat, incoming LH challengers they are criticized for not fighting heavyweights yet Tyson is praised for fighting Spinks?

Why is it that when other champions get defeated by underdogs they are again buried, yet Tyson fans have endless excuses for the reasons Douglas won the fight other than he was the better fighter that night?
                - -The era Mike inherited was very talented, but weak because DKing ran the show into the ground. It wasn't until the Ks ran DKing out of the heavy division that we saw that justice served again. See Herc cleaning the stables of King Auegis.

Mike Spinks a genuine Great, so labeling him as just another LH ain't the brightest.

Comment

If one could aggregate opinion, from the opinions on this forum, one would have to conclude that every HW Champion fought in a weak era.

So who didnt fight in a strong era?

(The usual suspects need not reply. We all know one another's bias. Lol)

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post
                    If one could aggregate opinion, from the opinions on this forum, one would have to conclude that every HW Champion fought in a weak era.

So who didnt fight in a strong era?

(The usual suspects need not reply. We all know one another's bias. Lol)
                    70s and 90s are considered pretty strong eras. 80s not too far behind.

Comment

- -Boxing media the progeny of those who feast on their own kind.

They've always complained. JJJeffries retired because of it that left a huge hole the remaining heavies could never crawl out of and so on...

Comment

Because fans idolize him and can't be objective about their hero

Comment

Working...
                        X