Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it good to be left-handed but have an orthodox stance?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it good to be left-handed but have an orthodox stance?

I'm left-handed but I feel much more comfortable throwing a punch in the orthdox stance. Is this common and a good thing? I'm not a boxer or anything but I was just wondering.
    Last edited by -EX-; 03-17-2006, 05:28 PM.

I'm left handed so it must be good!

You might find it more comfortable to fight in orthodox because you are then leading with your dominant hand. Henry Cooper, Joe Frazier and even Mike Tyson are left handed who fight orthodox. It gives them a killer left hook!

I prefer southpaw though. It depends what your most comfortable with.

Comment

oscar de la hoya is a left-handed orthodox fighter, as was carmen basilio, and both have pretty lethal left hooks. whatever's comfortable for you.

Comment

Tyson was a converted southpaw...had a mean left hook

Comment

Originally posted by LightsOut Le
          Tyson was a converted southpaw...had a mean left hook
          him being part of the nation should have nothin to do with the power of his left hook

Comment

im orthadox but i do switch between stances,
            i like to jab in southpaw with power/stiffness,
            and speedy jabs come in orthadox.
            i cant throw a decent southpaw left hook,
            but i got a meen s/p right hook(body)
            i do prefer to stand orthadox!

Comment

It's good to be left-handed, period.

Comment

I always thought that would feel awkward lol. If you are using your strongest hand to lead you will have a weak backhand. And for right hand orthodox fighters it is easy for them to improve their weak hand because it is their lead hand and they are using it all the time. But using your weak hand as your guard wont let it see a lot of action. This woul not let it improve and you would end up a 1-handed fighter.

Well thats just my view

Comment

It is said that Winky Wright is right handed yet he fights as a south paw. Maybe that's the reason he doesn't knock many people out but he has really good defense. I believe your strong hand should stay behind the jab. Most non-boxers feel weird when doing that but then they get used to it while they develope their jab. When unloading a straight right towards the heavy bag after a left jab, they quickly realize the importance of that stance. Then they start to develope the left hook, uppercuts, body shots etc. Try to develope a textbook/conventional style then you can experiment with the south paw or visa versa.

Comment

Working...
                  X