No announcement yet.

Salvador Sanchez.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salvador Sanchez.

What are your personal thoughts on him? How do you think his career would have gone if he hadn't died? Do you think he could have become the GOAT at Featherweight? I personally feel he had all the tools be an ATG: good jab, good footwork, great chin, and decent power. He still has a decent/good resume in spite of his short career.

When I evaluate him he is an ATG! Ray.

Comment

He was and is viewed as someone with immense talent

Comment

Sadly a great career cut short but he still did enough to be an ATG.

Comment

Sanchez is easily one of the best Hispanic fighters of all time, easily.. He is definitely top 10. The only ones I would definitely put ahead of Sanchez would be Olivares, Duran, Arguello and Benitez. His victory over Gomez is one of my favorites. That's how you dismantle a pressure fighter. Always loved his fight against Nelson too, that's just a complete war and very underrated.
          Last edited by young_robbed; 04-26-2013, 05:31 PM.

Comment

"Hispanic fighters" that kid was one of the best feathers of ANY color, geographic area (the World) religious experience, north or south of the equator ever!!! As for Arguello he was one dimentional in comparison to Salvatore' and Benitez?? Really?? Benitez won over a faded Cervantes and won a title at 17 yrs old. That was an accomplishment but he has nothing skill wize to compare to Salvatore'! Ruben and Roberto came to make the fight and win and are legends but if Salvatore' lived he would also be a legend that all true boxing fans would know!
            When the Featherweight class is mentioned we know of Pep, Sadler and the rest but Sanchez belobngs right there in the top ten all time and he could compete in any era. Ruben & Roberto (lightweight) and Lexi could alsoi compete in any era but Benitez is no where near a top ten welter all time.

I simply disagree with catorizing Salvatore' as a " hispanic great" he's one of the best ever! Just watch his techniques and see how their incorpertated into his methods! He is as welrounded a fighter as theirs been, just beautifull.
            Ray.

Comment

Wow. you really misinterpreted my post. I was in no way trying to discredit Sanchez.
              Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
              As for Arguello he was one dimentional in comparison to Salvatore'
              Yet Arguello was still very effective, and had P4P power like nobody else. that one-dimensional style of his seemed to work out pretty well until he was washed up. you have to figure in longevity.

and Benitez?? Really?? Benitez won over a faded Cervantes and won a title at 17 yrs old. That was an accomplishment but he has nothing skill wize to compare to Salvatore'!
              I think he did a little more than that, bud. Benitez beat Palomino, Curry twice, and Chiaverini. It's a little much to discredit him like that. Skill-wise Benitez' defense was crazy. He counter-punched like nobody else. He was simply hard to hit. He gave Leonard a true fight in his prime when everybody else was getting blown away. His legacy boils down to commitment issues, ability wise, in his prime, he could hang in with the best.

When the Featherweight class is mentioned we know of Pep, Sadler and the rest but Sanchez belongs right there in the top ten all time and he could compete in any era. Ruben & Roberto (lightweight) and Lexi could alsoi compete in any era but Benitez is no where near a top ten welter all time.
              Benitez would probably do better in an era where he wouldn't have to face Leonard, Hearns, and Duran in a matter of 3 years. His management did him no favors. The first 2 obviously took alot out of Benitez's will to win. Benitez's resume isn't up there with the best, however, I really do think he had the talent and ability to give ANYONE a great fight. Look at the Leonard fight for proof. He made Leonard miss like nobody else.
              I simply disagree with catorizing Salvatore' as a " hispanic great" he's one of the best ever! Just watch his techniques and see how their incorporated into his methods! He is as welrounded a fighter as theirs been, just beautiful.
              Ray.
              He certainly is one of the best ever. His skills as an all around fighter were crazy. The defense, combinations and movement were one of a kind. You seem to completely misunderstand what I was trying to say. I was just comparing him to other Hispanic fighters, and how he is one of the best.

Comment

I agree, he was great n shoulda been greater if he had not passed so tragically young. but u see what he did to nelson and then nelson goes on to show the world how good he was too. here's the questions n counterpoints on sanchez, defense? well he did generally keep his hands up but he was not unhittable. if u look at the lopez fights he took a fair amount of little reds big shots but was never hurt, id say his defense was at best slightly above average but his chin was rock solid. then there's the pedroza angle that will always b the big but in sanchez discussions.

Comment

One of my favorite fighters,tragic loss for the boxing world, unfortunately when Salvador Sanchez Died we were robbed of some great 1980s classic fights

At Featherweight I think it would be tough to beat him for a few years had he lived, rematch with Azumah Nelson would be close maybe SD 15 and unification with Eusebio Pedroza I feel he would have won another close 15 rounder.

130 would be harder if he moved up say around 84-85, Again he probably would have won against Roger Mayweather but not an easy fight for him style wise, beats guys like Bazooka Limon and Bobby Chacon out boxing both fairly easily,would definitely fight JCC and I think they fight more than once; going 1-1.

Not sure if he would make the jump to lightweight but if he did he would be near the tail end of his career and maybe would have won a title depending who held one at the time,I see him beating guys like Jose Luis Ramirez or Edwin Rosario but I think Hector Camacho and Pernell Whitaker would be too quick for him.

I think its fair to say he was a great fighter, an all time great, a legend.

Comment

Salvidor Sanchez

Sanchez would have met his match against JLR.

Comment

Working...
                    X