No announcement yet.

Good or Bad plan

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good or Bad plan

O.k. I got pretty badly hurt at a gym a couple months back(Three hooks full power to the back of the head alternating sides).

So realizing now that at 28 and just getting into boxing after years of McDojo karate no one is going to take me seriously but is merely going to use me as cannon fodder for their contenders.

So I dropped out of the gym I was training at 5 months ago temporarily and have been focusing on going from o.k. shape to awesome shape.

So far in 5 months I lost 7 lbs of body fat while gaining 8 lbs of muscle.(while fighting with a hormone deficiency)

When I reach 15% body fat I figure I will give it another go. At that point I should weigh around 205

Sound like a plan? I remember the coach complaining that he kept getting asked for heavyweights but did not have any for fights. Maybe muscling up is the way to go.

Just do heaps of road work, cardio and use your own body weight in excercises (push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups) to work on your conditioning and find a weight you feel good at. IMO, there's absolutely no point in doing weights to gain muscle in boxing. It'll only slow you down.

Try improve your speed and mobility, I'd say it would be a better idea to fight in the lower weight divisions if possible, because heavyweights generally have the power to end fights in 1 punch.

You might find your "natural weight" (where you feel the most explosive) is light-heavy or even lighter. Fitness is key, not the size of your muscles. However, neck and leg muscle-building will help you withstand a punch.

All the best man

Comment

Originally posted by Dickie Smalls View Post
      Just do heaps of road work, cardio and use your own body weight in excercises (push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups) to work on your conditioning and find a weight you feel good at. IMO, there's absolutely no point in doing weights to gain muscle in boxing. It'll only slow you down.

Try improve your speed and mobility, I'd say it would be a better idea to fight in the lower weight divisions if possible, because heavyweights generally have the power to end fights in 1 punch.

You might find your "natural weight" (where you feel the most explosive) is light-heavy or even lighter. Fitness is key, not the size of your muscles. However, neck and leg muscle-building will help you withstand a punch.

All the best man

If I forgo weights I can probably drop down to about 175 in eh......6 to 8 months at my current pace. My grandfather a Navy boxer told me just to learn to turtle up and explode when opportunity shows itself next time i am in the ring. Of couse he was small and fast only 5'4"
      Last edited by Doggpound; 08-01-2012, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggpound View Post
        If I forgo weights I can probably drop down to about 175 in eh......6 to 8 months at my current pace. My grandfather a Navy boxer told me just to learn to turtle up and explode when opportunity shows itself next time i am in the ring. Of couse he was small and fast only 5'4"
        Yeah he couldn't have said it better, defense is the first thing a boxer should work on. Keep your hands up at all times and when sparring, practice moving out of your opponents range (spring in and out quick), learn to catch/parry/deflect punches, move your head and lean more, then you can develop your spring-back counter punches. You'll get used to maintaining a safe distance. Throw fast straights at your sparring partner when he's open/not in a good position to punch and move back out as quick as you can.

Watching and analyzing defensive fighters like Floyd Mayweather and Bernard Hopkins will help you learn some helpful defense tactics.

Comment

If you are 28 i think you should not lose anymore time. Start boxing as soon as possible. You need to spar, learn technique, it takes time, don't use half a year to get into shape first, get into shape at the boxing gym... If you don't wan't to get hurt in sparring, try to only spar with guys at your own level or slightly above for the first few months but getting to the boxing gym as soon as possible is essential.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivansmamma View Post
            If you are 28 i think you should not lose anymore time. Start boxing as soon as possible. You need to spar, learn technique, it takes time, don't use half a year to get into shape first, get into shape at the boxing gym... If you don't wan't to get hurt in sparring, try to only spar with guys at your own level or slightly above for the first few months but getting to the boxing gym as soon as possible is essential.
            The only problem is that in an hour's drive both gyms only have either people about to go pro or five weight class under me high school kids.

I actually outboxed my opponent(due to my extensive heavy bag work and sparring when in karate) landing more jabs and straights than the amateur-about-to-go-pro I was boxing with. But once I knocked him down he came back with multiple hooks to the back of my head and I about lost consciousness. So I had no power just speed behind my punches.

Comment

Working...
            X