No announcement yet.

Speed needed!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed needed!!!

I need speed in my legs, at this moment I am 222.2 lb, I came from 244.2 lb to 222.2 lb in a month, and I am working on lose more weight, I go out for jogging 3 times per week for 30 minutes each time, and I going to the weight room 3 times per week as well. I was trying to go out for running more time a week but I can not, there is a big pain on both of my shin, I was running on the street when the pain pop up for that reason now I running on grass but the pain is still there, any recommendation.

I think that timing and balance contribute more to your boxing leg speed than anything else. But, some explosive exercises (squat leaps, etc) help me out. Running really hasn't done anything for my boxing footwork speed, but to each is own.

Comment

Originally posted by TKD1 View Post
      I need speed in my legs, at this moment I am 222.2 lb, I came from 244.2 lb to 222.2 lb in a month, and I am working on lose more weight, I go out for jogging 3 times per week for 30 minutes each time, and I going to the weight room 3 times per week as well. I was trying to go out for running more time a week but I can not, there is a big pain on both of my shin, I was running on the street when the pain pop up for that reason now I running on grass but the pain is still there, any recommendation.
      Have you only recently started doing jogging? If so, that pain is probably shin splints. If this is the case, then you should rest a while or you may end up getting injured.

As far as I know (Someone may correct me, though) if you keep training with shin splints they can turn into stress fractures, and if that happens you'll be off for a fair while.

As for speed in your legs, I agree with the poster above, foot speed in boxing comes from balance as much as anything, try working on skipping more (But still rest until your legs aren't hurting, as skipping will aggravate the shin splints, if that's what's up with your shins)

Comment

first rest for a week to let your shins heal. if you dont, you will end up having to rest for a month. second, start running on the ball of your foot, not the heel. its called barefoot, but you can do it in shoes. as for speed, work on explosive lifts and plyometrics and target your calves.

Comment

Originally posted by TKD1 View Post

sounds like shin splits

get some high socks and some running shoes.
          high socks for warmth and some compression

stretch before you run
          and warm up

Comment

I always do around 7 - 10 minutes warm up, and then 30 minutes jogging, I tried today and only could run for 20 minutes max, now the pain is there for walking too.

Comment

I was trying to go out for running more time a week but I can not, there is a big pain on both of my shin, I was running on the street when the pain pop up for that reason
              Last edited by alisonw99; 04-21-2012, 01:53 AM.

Comment

you have to be able to do some great jump rope tricks if you want to improve your footwork also strenghten your calves.

Comment

Go to a really good running shop (a place that caters to runners) and have them fit you correctly for running shoes. Another thing is actually learning your own stride. A lot of people run just to run but axtuslly don't do it properly. You need to learn your gait and find someone that corrects your stride.

Comment

What are you training to do? I don't know what leg speed has to do with boxing. Julio Cesar Chavez quit running in 1989 or 1990 because of pain in his legs and he did pretty much ok thereafter.

Comment

Working...
                    X