Ranking Floyd Mayweather in history

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ranking Floyd Mayweather in history

I have been looking at Ring Magazines 80 best fighters of the last 80 years

I know it was published in 2002 but from a 2011 standpoint, surely Mayweather is ranked in the top 30

RM top 30:

1. Sugar Ray Robinson
    2. Henry Armstrong
    3. Muhammad Ali
    4. Joe Louis
    5. Roberto Duran
    6. Willie Pep
    7. Harry Greb
    8. [B]Benny Leonard [/B]
    9. Sugar Ray Leonard
    10. Pernell Whitaker
    11. Carlos Monzon
    12. Rocky Marciano
    13. Ezzard Charles
    14. Archie Moore
    15. Sandy Saddler
    16. Jack Dempsey
    17. Marvin Hagler
    18. Julio Cesar Chavez
    19. Eder Jofre
    20. Alexis Arguello
    21. Barney Ross
    22. Evander Holyfield
    23. Ike Williams
    24. Salvador Sanchez
    25. George Foreman
    26. Kid Gavilian
    27. Larry Holmes
    28. Mickey Walker
    29. Ruben Olivares
    30. Gene Tunney

The highlighted names, to me, have not done anything worthy to be ahead of Floyd Mayweather in all time rankings.

I am not judging them by their boxing ability but what they accomplished in their era and compare it to what Mayweather has done in his

Mayweather - Five division world champion

Harry Greb - Fought 300fights or so, won middleweight and light heavyweight title.

Benny Leonard - Lightweight world champion

Rocky Marciano - 49-0 heavyweight champion

Eder Jofre - Bantamweight and featherweight world champion

Ike Williams - Lightweight champion

Gene Tunney - Heavyweight champion

Floyd Mayweather has accomplished more than these fighters.

However you want to look at it.

Originally posted by GAME2010 View Post

RM top 30:

1. Sugar Ray Robinson
    2. Henry Armstrong
    3. Muhammad Ali
    4. Joe Louis
    5. Roberto Duran
    6. Willie Pep
    7. Harry Greb
    8. Benny Leonard
    9. Sugar Ray Leonard
    10. Pernell Whitaker
    11. Carlos Monzon
    12. Rocky Marciano
    13. Ezzard Charles
    14. Archie Moore
    15. Sandy Saddler
    16. Jack Dempsey
    17. Marvin Hagler
    18. Julio Cesar Chavez
    19. Eder Jofre
    20. Alexis Arguello
    21. Barney Ross
    22. Evander Holyfield
    23. Ike Williams
    24. Salvador Sanchez
    25. George Foreman
    26. Kid Gavilian
    27. Larry Holmes
    28. Mickey Walker
    29. Ruben Olivares
    30. Gene Tunney

There, I placed Mayweather where I think he belongs on this list. I'm sure other might disagree.

Comment

Firstly, we can't rate his career until he's done, he might go onto to dominate both Pacquiao and Martinez so who knows, or get brutally beat down by them.

Harry Greb beat 18 World Champions and 13 Hall of Famers, some as many as 6 times. He was the premier MW and LHW in the world for a number of years and was frozen out of a HW title bout with Dempsey that many clamoured for. He also fought most of his HW bouts weighing as a LHW and a lighter LHW at that.

Comment

Saying that I would definitely rank Mayweather over Marciano.

Comment

greatest lightweight of all time > Floyd Mayweather.

It's not all about collecting belts. It's about who you fight and when. Mayweather is not even close to the resume of Leonard or Greb and frankly many many others.

Comment

Harry Greb and Benny Leonard are Top 10 ATG's and have some of the premier Resume's in the History of the sport.

Floyd Mayweather isn't even on the same planet as them in terms of greatness.

Out of the other fighters you higlighted I would only rank him over Marciano.

Comment

The thing to remember when building up modern fighters for winning X number of titles is titles are much, much more abundant nowadays. In fact you have to be a pretty poor fighter these days to not pick up a belt. Today there are about 20 weight classes with up to five champions in each (if you count the Ring). When all those others were fighting there were only eight recognised divisions with one champion in each.

I don't see any case for rating Mayweather over any of those, except perhaps Marciano.

Comment

Fair play on Greb and Leonard. Going by what you have read or heard, but that's how fighters are ranked. Resumes not actual footage of how they fought

That is awful. ^

People, what about Jofre, Williams and Tunney

Comment

Rank him when his career is over.
                  Also you should probably research boxers before just assuming that Floyd is greater then them, Floyd being greater then Greb or Leonard is laughable.

Jofre was a dominant champ in probably the strongest Bantam era ever, Imo he beat Harada both times, then after a lay off he moved up to beat a great Featherweight in Legra and then a top 5 FW in Saldivar (Although past it still good win), talent / skills wise he was often compared to Ray Robinson. You need too really study his era too know why Jofre is usually regarded as so great.
                  Last edited by NChristo; 12-30-2011, 11:34 AM.

Comment

He should be rated over Marciano, but he doesn't have a case to be ranked above the other fighters.

Comment

Working...
                    X