• Show
Clear All

• What fights did the following look the best in:

Ezzard Charles
    Carlos Monzon
    Jose Napoles
    Archie Moore
    Gene Tunney

Hard to say with Charles as his best performances likely weren't filmed. Likewise Tunney whose best performance was probably the final Greb bout.

I'd say Monzon's best was Valdez II. After getting dropped early on Monzon gets off the canvas to dominate his nearest challenger with a textbook display. Jabs, hooks, uppercuts, body punches, all in combination. The ideal fight to retire on.

Moore's best that I've seen was the Durelle rematch. After almost getting blasted out in that amazing first fight, Archie figured Durelle out the second time and hardly put a foot wrong. Awesome fighter.

Comment

Monzon IMO is the first Benvenuti fight

Napoles has to be Griffith

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
        Ezzard Charles
        As said above his best efforts were arguably never filmed but on film his best fights are

Lloyd Marshall II
        Walcott I (only the last two rounds exist)
        Louis
        Valentino

The way he puts away Bernie Reynolds was impressive too.

Carlos Monzon
        Bennie Briscoe II for me. Visually his best performance as he uses good footwork and solid combinations to fend off Briscoe's relentless attack. Gets severely stunned in the 9th round, only to come back and give Briscoe a severe beating in the next round.

His first fight against Benvenuti is worth a watch too. He put away Tom Bogs with ease, paced himself very well against Bouttier the second time and punished Napoles in the last two rounds with devastating 1-2 combinations.

Jose Napoles
        The first Cokes fight. His fight against Urbina shows devastating early form at lightweight. Good show against Pete Toro, butchered Adolph Pruitt in their rematch and a skillful display by aging Napoles against Ernie Lopez the second time.

Archie Moore
        One of old Moore's best showings was at 40+ years of age against Yvon Durelle in the rematch. He picked the game fisherman apart after the great first fight they had. He shows his defense if not his offense against Oakland Billy Smith in an early film, takes apart Joey Maxim with pressure in their first fight and paces himself well against a much younger Harold Johnson in their last meeting.

Gene Tunney
        Gibbons
        Dempsey I
        Heeney

I thought he looked as if he was going through the motions against Dempsey in the rematch until getting dropped. After that, it was one of his best efforts as Tunney really opened up on Dempsey.

He was younger against Carpentier and brutally dispatched him in the late rounds, but not without having some difficulties early on.

Comment

Working...
        X