Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cassius Clay vs. Doug Jones (1963)- Was Jones robbed of a win?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cassius Clay vs. Doug Jones (1963)- Was Jones robbed of a win?

where did he go? the forum is just not the same without him! because of his absence the tyson and marciano lovers are taking over. do i have to fight them off alone?
    Last edited by butterfly1964; 10-31-2005, 04:40 PM.

i suppose this thread is not as interesting as the others.

Comment

no its not, yes jones was robbed

Comment

Doug Jones fought well against Ali at times, as he did land some good punches in the 1st round (good right hand which caught Ali flush) and in a couple of the middle rounds. But I thought Jones missed the vast majority of his shots throughout the fight (mind you, Ali didn't land at a much better rate...both fighters were made to miss quite a bit), and I thought that Ali pulled off the win by sweeping the last three or four rounds.

Nah, Jones wasn't robbed through these eyes, but the crowd reaction for the hometown fighter (Jones) after the fight showed that they might've thought so.

Comment

Originally posted by Yogi
          Doug Jones fought well against Ali at times, as he did land some good punches in the 1st round (good right hand which caught Ali flush) and in a couple of the middle rounds. But I thought Jones missed the vast majority of his shots throughout the fight (mind you, Ali didn't land at a much better rate...both fighters were made to miss quite a bit), and I thought that Ali pulled off the win by sweeping the last three or four rounds.

Nah, Jones wasn't robbed through these eyes, but the crowd reaction for the hometown fighter (Jones) after the fight showed that they might've thought so.
          That's what I think. Plus the fact that it was the first time Ali had failed in his prediction. He predicted six, then four. And it went the 10 rounds. People turned on Ali. Everyone thought he would dominate - and when he didn't - they called it closer than it was. But Ali won. I haven't seen the fight in a long time - but I think i scored it something like 6-3-1. The referee saying 8-2 or 8-1-1 or something was too far.

Comment

Working...
          X