No announcement yet.

"What's my name?" Ernie terrel got what he deserved from Muhammad Ali

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "What's my name?" Ernie terrel got what he deserved from Muhammad Ali

When Ali pummeled Ernie Terrel into submission in 1967, the press was attacking Ali for what he did. And in addition to the whole Vietnam thing, Ali was made out to be some kind of heartless monster.

But the fact is that before the fight Terrel refused to call Ali by his name. He insisted on calling him Cassius Clay, when in fact most people called him by his newly acquired muslim name. Even the fightcards called him Ali! What Terrel did was wrong, and he disrespected and humiliated not only Ali, but all muslims. Ali afterwards told him and the press that he was going to punish him mercilessly and make him say his real name. In that case, criticizing him after the fight doesn't make sense, since he said he was going to do it anyway. What the press should have been talking about was the multiple fouls Terrel committed during the fight. He was hitting him behind the head (rabbit punching), holding him and hitting him at the same time, and hitting him on the break all illegal and subject to the deduction of points. In and interview with Howard Cosell on ABC not long after the fight, Muhammad Ali apologized for talking to Terrel throughout the fight, and saying "what's my name" then hitting him. However he said he did it so Terrel and other people would respect his religious beliefs. Terrel ended up saying "Muhammad Ali", and rightfully so.

The bottom line is that Ernie Terrel got what was coming to him in my opinion. What do you think?
    Last edited by butterfly1964; 02-09-2007, 02:34 PM.

This was definitely not the only time Ali was playing mind games with his opponent. Before the first fight with Sonny Liston, Cassius Clay (as he was then known) labelled him a "big ugly bear". Clay even drove to Liston's house in the middle of the night and set a "bear trap" on the lawn, challenging him to take him on right there. This enraged Liston and he promised to drive his fist down Clay's throat.

Even more amusing was the weigh-in. Clay screamed at Liston "I'm the champ and you're the tramp!" He then lunged at Liston like he was going to attack him. Everyone thought Clay was crazy, but the doctors that inspected him revealed his pulse was fine. Clay had Sonny believing that he was crazy and completely psyched him out. Obviously the result of the fight was further proof of this, as Liston refused to come out for the 7th round. That was Ali at his finest! Like his tactics or not, they proved successful.
    Last edited by legend_killer; 10-26-2005, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by legend_killer
      Even more amusing was the weigh-in. Clay screamed at Liston "I'm the champ and you're the tramp!" He then lunged at Liston like he was going to attack him. Everyone thought Clay was crazy, but the doctors that inspected him revealed his pulse was fine. Clay had Sonny believing that he was crazy and completely psyched him out. Obviously the result of the fight was further proof of this, as Liston refused to come out for the 7th round. That was Ali at his finest! Like his tactics or not, they proved successful.
      I think the story goes like they check his pulse which is rushing and ali later on (way later on) reveals its because he was scared of liston and behaved like a madman for the same reason... pure genius on his part anyways!

Comment

yeah, ali used to mess with your mind. i mean if your mind isnt into it, you lose the fight before you actually enter the ring

Comment

these are some nice posts. however, i wan't to know what you think of ali taunting terrel in the ring. that wasn't a scare tactic. that was pure anger. was it right for him to hold him up and keep from knocking him out to punish him for 15 rounds?

Comment

There was one man's mind that Ali tried to mess with, which ended up to be the reason he lost. Joe Frazier. Ali called Joe ugly, stupid, and isolated him from the black community. This filled Joe with a red-eyed hatred and ferocity that drive him to beating Muhammad, "The Greatest", for the first time.

Nowadays, when asked about Ali's condition, Joe says "I hate him. No matter what they say, I hate him. After all he has said to me, made me feel, made everyone else feel about me, I hate him. Yea, I will proudly take the blame for making him the way he is right now. But I still do pray to God everynight to take care of Muhammad Ali."

Comment

well you can't blame the man for hating him, i mean look what ali put him through, he was the 1 man ali always went beyond the 'limit' with.

Ernie terrel called ali clay because he accused ali of calling him an 'uncle tom'.

Comment

Originally posted by fistlegend
                well you can't blame the man for hating him, i mean look what ali put him through, he was the 1 man ali always went beyond the 'limit' with.

Ernie terrel called ali clay because he accused ali of calling him an 'uncle tom'.
                you have this mixed up. ali called terrel an uncle tom because terrel called ali clay. and terrel called him clay because he was egged on by some racist reporters to call him that, because THEY called him that. but those cowards only called him that because they didn't have to get into the ring with him. terrel did. but he should have respected the man's religion and called him by his name. terrel brought the punishment in the ring on himself.
                Last edited by butterfly1964; 10-30-2005, 07:06 PM.

Comment

ok, he had it coming to him nevertheless, after they retired ali helped terrell out of some deep ****

Comment

I can rememebr Ali shouting to him 'What's my name?' in the ring whilst fighting. This one fight you could tell he was pissed off.

Comment

Working...
                    X