No announcement yet.

tyson and olympics

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tyson and olympics

Well I had always wondered why tyson never made it. One place, I heard it was politics. Other places, I heard it was b/c amateur is too different than professional, and that a guy did beat him and take his olympic spot. Can anyone help clear this up for me?

Originally posted by BlackBeltNow
    Well I had always wondered why tyson never made it. One place, I heard it was politics. Other places, I heard it was b/c amateur is too different than professional, and that a guy did beat him and take his olympic spot. Can anyone help clear this up for me?

Henry Tillman beat tyson twice as an amateur, and one of those times he beat tyson out for the olympic spot, of course when tyson fought tillman as a pro he knocked his ass out

Comment

Originally posted by dansweeney
      Henry Tillman beat tyson twice as an amateur, and one of those times he beat tyson out for the olympic spot, of course when tyson fought tillman as a pro he knocked his ass out
      ^^^ Yeah what he said.

Comment

so anyone see the am fights tyson lost? i'm curious how he coudl have, b/c i saw some of his amateur fihgts and the extra padding didnt' seem to stop him from KOing ppl

Comment

Tillman was better at that time that's all. Tyson's style was most suited for the pro ranks. Tillman when on to win a gold medal and Tyson when on to become the 'baddest man on the planet'. As mentioned earlier, Tyson took out Tillman in one round.

Comment

Originally posted by SweetScience
            Tillman was better at that time that's all. Tyson's style was most suited for the pro ranks. Tillman when on to win a gold medal and Tyson when on to become the 'baddest man on the planet'. As mentioned earlier, Tyson took out Tillman in one round.
            wait. what time was it when tyson attempted olympics? was tyson famous yet? or was he still growing

Comment

84 Tyson fought Tillman twice and lost. It happens sometimes, Mosley didnt make the Olympic team as well.

Comment

Originally posted by SweetScience
                84 Tyson fought Tillman twice and lost. It happens sometimes, Mosley didnt make the Olympic team as well.
                yea i was curious aobut tyson for a second reason: i guess thats not encouraging to hear for short guys who ever dreamed about going to olympcis haha

Comment

Tyson was reportedly robbed of the decision in both of those amateur fights against Henry Tillman (I haven't seen them, only heard or read about them being robberies).

Tillman also benefitted from incompetent judging when he "beat" Willie DeWitt for the gold medal in the '84 Olympics (I have seen that one, and DeWitt definately should've got the nod).

And for the Christmas of '84, Santa Claus brought Henry all the toys that he wished for in his letter to him, and then some...

Comment

I've watched both fights, in the first one was closer but I still think tyson won. the second he was just robbed, Tillman basically ran and slapped the whole time getting knocked down in the process, and he even loooked suprised when they raised his hand afterwards.

Comment

Working...
                    X