Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are traditionalists so critical about MMA?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are traditionalists so critical about MMA?

I was gonna take some traditional Ju-Jitsu lessons from this excellent Ju-Jitsu Master until he started talking bad about MMA he said that it doesnt deserve to be called Martial Arts. What the ****? MMA took all the things that don't work and kept all the things that do work to create a lethal realistic style. Why can't these traditionalists give MMA it's proper respect. I ended up joining a Bas Rutten system gym instead of that Ju-Jitsu school just because I couldn't take that kind of close minded attitude.

especially bjj fighters right now r upset because bjj is no longer the best fighting style. For years bjj was used, and used effectivly as the premier fighting style in martial arts. But ever since fighters strarted cross training bjj has been considered less and less a good style for MMA combat. There are to many MIXED martial artest in the business.

I myself have done bjj for many years now, mixed in with Kav Magra, and some kenpo karate. After i picked up on other styles and incorparated them into my fight game i became a much better fighter, it makes you focus on other things then just letting the guy tire himself out then submitting them. Other forms allow you to focus on stand up as well as ground game.

Comment

Originally posted by RastaSmoker
      especially bjj fighters right now r upset because bjj is no longer the best fighting style. For years bjj was used, and used effectivly as the premier fighting style in martial arts. But ever since fighters strarted cross training bjj has been considered less and less a good style for MMA combat. There are to many MIXED martial artest in the business.

I myself have done bjj for many years now, mixed in with Kav Magra, and some kenpo karate. After i picked up on other styles and incorparated them into my fight game i became a much better fighter, it makes you focus on other things then just letting the guy tire himself out then submitting them. Other forms allow you to focus on stand up as well as ground game.
      Obviously 2styles is better than 1 especially when you mix the ground game with the standup..
      Too this day BJJ is known as the best "ground" art to learn..
      BJJ is a part of MMA, there are many BJJ practitioners in MMA today but they have some type of Kick-boxing or Muay-thai style as well hence the term "MIXED martial arts"..

Comment

Errr...if he's really traditionalist, his beef might not at all be with the melding(because that's actually preferred by a lot of teachers I've met), but more it's association with UFC and tournament rules, which honestly, do take a lot of realism out of things.

Comment

Originally posted by Warhawk_1
          Errr...if he's really traditionalist, his beef might not at all be with the melding(because that's actually preferred by a lot of teachers I've met), but more it's association with UFC and tournament rules, which honestly, do take a lot of realism out of things.

ufc and pride are a hell of a lot more real than ju jitsu grappling tournaments or point karate.

Comment

I say wrestling is better for ground work and then learning how to defend submissions and getting out of them is better. Top tier fighters have wrestling background and cross train. Pure submission skill fighters are now 2nd tier.

It's all about $$$
            Honestly, how many locks do they teach in BJJ actually get used in the ring. About 7 of them and pretty much that is what you need to learn. Some vartiation on key lock/kimura, rear naked choke or variation of a choke hold, arm bar, triangle, gulliotine, and defending ankle locks and knee bar attempts that don't happen that much in MMA anymore.

Good part of BJJ is learning different tricks to apply these submissions or get out of them. Beyond that, the dozens of other locks are a waste. Think about this now. How much money would he makes teaching you hundreds of locks compared to 7 of them and understand those 7 and then you moved on to something else.....

Comment

Some martial arts are critical about mma because it has set rules. There are no rules on the streets. MMA is more of a sport in a way. It should still be considered a martial art.

Comment

Same way traditionist treated Bruce Lee's Jeet Kwon do when it first came out. A lot of old school martial artists still have the mentality that their system, whatever it is, is the best.

Comment

A street fight is a life or death situation. You can grab the groin, gouge the eyes, strike the throat, etc. These techniques allow an average guy to gain the advantage and kill quickly, no matter who he's facing. This is not part of MMA because it's a sport. It's an exciting sport, but it's not life or death.

Comment

Originally posted by Linx
                    Same way traditionist treated Bruce Lee's Jeet Kwon do when it first came out. A lot of old school martial artists still have the mentality that their system, whatever it is, is the best.
                    There are many martial arts out there that have many moves and also incorporate weapons in their art that would be totally illegal in mma. Some moves may be brutal, others are subtle but still banned in mma.
                    If mma still had the "original rules" when the UFC started, I would say that the fighters with BJJ as a base, have a advantage. Todays rules does not favor BJJ practioners.

Keep in mind that the original rules exclude many martial arts that have moves that were against the rules at that given time. And today you see even more of a "watered" down version of the original UFC.

But mma promotions are making more money nowadays than previously before, so I understand why the change.

IMO, if the original rules from the first UFC were to be used today, many champions would not be champions today.

Comment

Working...
                    X