Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you seen something like this? A fighter, letterally, begging to be taken out?!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you seen something like this? A fighter, letterally, begging to be taken out?!

In June 1951, Sugar Ray Robinson met Jan de Bruin, a Danish fighter, in Antwerp, Belgium. In the 8th round, de Bruin just left the ring and Robinson was declared the winner by TKO.

That made people think, "Well, ok, he had enough."

But, in an interview with the Associated Press, de Bruin explained that he had left the ring in disgust over Sugar Ray. He said, he saw that when Sugar Ray had him in trouble in the 6th and 7th rounds, Robinson "did not give his best!"

If that is true, then, he was begging to be knocked out of there!

Have you seen anything like it?
    Last edited by grayfist; 09-28-2005, 09:54 PM.

Originally posted by grayfist
    In June 1951, Sugar Ray Robinson met Jan de Bruin, a Danish fighter, in Antwerp, Belgium. In the 8th round, de Bruin just left the ring and Robinson was declared the winner by TKO.

That made people think, "Well, ok, he had enough."

But, in an interview with the Associated Press, de Bruin explained that he had left the ring in disgust over Sugar Ray. He said, he saw that when Sugar Ray had him in trouble in the 6th and 7th rounds, Robinson "did not give his best!"

If that is true, then, he was begging to be knocked out of there!

Have you seen anything like it?
    Well, he obviously didn't want Robinson to play with him. I can understand where he's coming from. Last thing you wanna leave in the ring is your pride.

Comment

Originally posted by Dude
      Well, he obviously didn't want Robinson to play with him. I can understand where he's coming from. Last thing you wanna leave in the ring is your pride.
      Yeah. That.

But, I wonder now, did it not possibly have a bit to do with allegations thrown by some on Sugar Ray that he was mob connected and that he carried some of his opponents?

Oh, well, speculations...

Comment

Working...
      X