No announcement yet.

Kell Brook: Held back?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kell Brook: Held back?

I was thinking today about the Groves v DeGale showdown, it's importance and the very small number of bouts each have to their name. I think it's safe to assume the winner will be ideally placed to pitch for a belt soon after and so we could face the prospect of either challenging for a world title with a record of no more than 13 fights!

Contrast this with Kell Brook who has 23 fights under his belt and is still looking for a way into the big time.

Granted, Kell has had a couple of injuries but given that he is arguably just as talented as either DeGale or Groves (perhaps moreso) why is it that he seems to be swimming in molasses career-wise?

Has Kell been held back by his team? Is he badly managed? Or is it just bad luck?

I don't think Frank really believe in him.

Or it could be that Kell just doesn't really shift tickets? I'm not aware of how well he does in that area.

Comment

The only thing he is being held back from is a devastating beatdown once he steps up to B level comp, the guy is not that good.

I lol'd hard at ppl saying he could beat PWill or Cotto.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparked_1985 View Post
        I don't think Frank really believe in him.

Or it could be that Kell just doesn't really shift tickets? I'm not aware of how well he does in that area.
        I think you might have a point about him not shifting tickets. He's certainly not a high-profile fighter, although he does have a following among genuine fans of boxing

But this is the thing - British fighters who achieve success generally pick up fans along the way. There are plenty of people in this country who don't follow boxing religiously but are prepared to pay to see big fights. Yes, Frank Warren has made a career out of milking fight fans by padding his fighters' resumes with tomato cans. But if he's prepared to risk a prize asset like DeGale so early in his career against a young, hungry and dangerous George Groves why is it he won't accelerate Brook's career? It's not like Kell hasn't got the talent. Unless, of course, there's something about Kell he doesn't quite like. Perhaps he doesn't take training seriously or he has some kind of personality defect. I don't know. But it's very puzzling.

Comment

He is a good fighter but he is being brought along at a snails pace and it will hurt him in the future,he could bcome the next Kevin Mitchell if hes not careful

Comment

i think its just because the division is so packed right now, there are the elite like pac, mosely , may, berto, then there are all these other guys who are fighting a 154 but are still considered welters like cotto, pwill etc, then there are the stars at 140 who will become semi elite as soon as they move up to 147 like khan bradley etc....What im saying is he would have no way of securing a fight with even a berto or someone who isnt even considered an elite ww in the states....

Comment

Ive heard he isnt the most committed and doesnt like training. Struggles to make weight etc.

Comment

He's just not that good. He's beat no-one of any note, Michael Jennings on a cut whoop-de-doo and he wasn't exactly smacking Jennings all the over the place. Frank Warren likes to talk him up and say he wants to make a fight with Mike Jones but I doubt he's actually trying to make that fight. I think the first live guy he gets in with will expose him.

Comment

I rate Brook but dont really like him all that much. I think Jones beats him, Berto beats him ect, Id have thought since he isnt a ticket seller Frank would just try and cash him out against a big name... Who knows mabey the fights just arent coming off?

Comment

Originally posted by Mugwump View Post
                    I was thinking today about the Groves v DeGale showdown, it's importance and the very small number of bouts each have to their name. I think it's safe to assume the winner will be ideally placed to pitch for a belt soon after and so we could face the prospect of either challenging for a world title with a record of no more than 13 fights!

Contrast this with Kell Brook who has 23 fights under his belt and is still looking for a way into the big time.

Granted, Kell has had a couple of injuries but given that he is arguably just as talented as either DeGale or Groves (perhaps moreso) why is it that he seems to be swimming in molasses career-wise?

Has Kell been held back by his team? Is he badly managed? Or is it just bad luck?
                    I feel sorry for Kell Brooks, for a little while were hearing some noise about him in the states but then he just fell off. Degale is at least a gold medalist so is amateur pedagree makes up for his lack of opposition. It's safe to say if he gets past grooves in 5 or 6 more fights he'll be ready for the elite. That gives him about a year and change maybe two to get some his confidence and technique sound ready. I look at Degale and hope he's able move up quickly like Gamboa. He doens't have to be 24-0 with alot of nobodies. On the other hand he'll need to be ready for the monsters like Ward,Froch. Those two love to fight ugly, nasty dogfight but i appreaciate it when it looks like it hurts. Cheers

Yank

Comment

Working...
                    X