Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Buster Douglas Really Beat Mike Tyson??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Buster Douglas Really Beat Mike Tyson??

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/fea...flashback/kod/
    The eighth round opened with Douglas again getting the better of Tyson, but it closed with a sudden, classic Tyson right uppercut that dropped Douglas to the canvas with six seconds left. It was the only time that Douglas got careless, and it nearly cost him his eventual stunning upset. Worse, though, was referee Meyran's shabby handling of the count, which, if promoter Don King has his way, may serve to deprive Douglas of the crown that he rightfully deserves. At the moment Douglas's backside touched the surface of the ring, the knockdown timekeeper began his count. Instead of picking up that cadence, Meyran began his own count, two beats behind.
    As generations of felled fighters have done before him, Douglas kept his attention fixed on the referee's hands. As Meyran signaled nine, Douglas rose, but the bell ended the round. If there was any doubt that Douglas was clearheaded and could have risen to his feet on the timekeeper's count, it had been erased right after the knockdown when Douglas pounded his left fist on the mat, in obvious annoyance at his own lapse.
    Yet King, who saw his world tour coming to a screeching halt about three continents short of his grand plan, would later seize on the discrepancy in the counts as grounds to bully others into awarding Tyson a victory by knockout.
    But King was not willing to allow his investment in the franchise called Mike Tyson to take the hit that inevitably comes from losing a title fight. King summoned officials from two of the major sanctioning bodies, the WBC and WBA, and representatives from the Japan Boxing Commission to a small room off the arena. Emerging two hours later, King called a press conference to announce that tapes of the bout clearly showed that "two knockouts took place, but the first knockout obliterates the second. Buster Douglas was knocked out, and the referee did not do his job and panicked. As the promoter of both fighters, I'm only seeking fair play."
    Two hours after that declaration, King again summoned the press. This time, he brought along Meyran, who said, "I don't know why I start my count and make my mistake. Yes, he was down longer than 10 seconds." Also in attendance was the fallen champion. His swollen left eye hidden by dark glasses, he said, "I thought I knocked him out. I thought he was counted out."
    Not surprisingly, given the sway he holds over the sport, King's transparent attempts to alter the obvious were persuasive enough for the WBC and WBA to announce that they would suspend recognition of the outcome until further review, which is expected to take place during this coming week. Even as Douglas relaxed in his hotel room with the WBC belt around his waist, the organization's president, Jose Sulaiman, was saying, "I'm very confused." Later, at the second press conference, he was no longer so confused. He said a rematch "was absolutely mandatory." But the damage is pretty much done. All King's men can't put Tyson together again.
    Of course, if you want confusion, boxing is, once more, for you. For starters, there is the blabbering of governing bodies whose only apparent purpose is to collect sanctioning fees. Tyson had consolidated all three titles -- WBC, WBA and IBF -- on Aug. 1, 1987, but because the Japan Boxing Commission does not recognize the IBF, no one from that organization was represented in Tokyo. Yet the IBF did sanction the fight, and does not recognize the challenge to Douglas's victory. So at the very least, Douglas now holds the IBF title.

It's really unfair how tyson's belt was taken away from him although he clearly won the bout. If the referee counted right and claimed Tyson as the winner, Tyson would have realized that he almost could have been knocked out (which happened) and would have been more careful in the future. Tyson even claims that his career ended at the buster douglas fight. Maybe it led to his to fallout not only in the ring but outside of it as well.
    Last edited by Pariah21388; 09-10-2005, 08:40 PM.

Did Douglas beat Tyson? Yep, he beat him like a drum. Douglas beat the count fair and square. The "long count" is just don king bull****. Remeber these are the same peole who thought there was nothing wrong with biting another fighters ears. Consider the source and relegate this trash to the heap.

Comment

God......Tyson's nuthuggers are the most delusional ******* you'll ever encounter in the boxing world. The bum who created this thread is obviously a Tyson nuthugger.

Comment

it was a long count, but it doesn't matter since you don't know if he could have gotten up sooner or was just waiting to hear 9.

The point here really is, if you are going to be champion, you have to recognize that you'll have to deal with some bs now and then, a real champ deals with it, mike got kncoked out plain and simple

A champ isn't a champ for a few rounds, he's a champ for the whole fight, and mike wasn't champ anymore that night

I'm most likely the biggest fan of prime tyson out there, but he got his ass handed to him on a sushi platter that night

Sort of like B hop, if the fight had continued B hop would have destroyed taylor, but you only have a certain number of rounds to work with, and he let taylor win too many of the early ones.

Bottom line, champs fight like champs if they want to stay champs

Comment

yes douglas beat him, if tyson thought he had ko'd him why did he come out for the 9th, the ref picked up the count late, these things do happen, its called tough ****

Comment

I always thought Tyson was prime for a fight like that. I mean when you saw Tyson fight everything came from the outside. By the Douglas fight Iron Mike had abandoned his jab, and was bobbing in and throwing hook after hook. Douglas had his number by beating him to the punch with crisp straight shots. A masterpiece!!

Comment

Originally posted by theironone
              yes douglas beat him, if tyson thought he had ko'd him why did he come out for the 9th, the ref picked up the count late, these things do happen, its called tough ****
              tyson DID knock him out, but the refree counted late

Comment

Nah, Buster had everything that night that could stop Tyson. Quick jabs, good combos. He looked much like Ali that night, but without the speed or chin of Ali's.

Douglas showed heart, strength, chin, and good punches that drove Tyson into the ground.

Comment

If you watch the video, Douglas is ok but takes his sweet time getting up like a smart fighter should in that position. Douglas poo'd on Tyson hard.

Comment

Things that make you say hhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm got knocked the **** out

Comment

Working...
                    X