No announcement yet.

Did Liston Cheat During Bout With AliÉ

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Liston Cheat During Bout With AliÉ

we all have heard that ali had some bit of trouble fighting sonny liston for the first time. during a middle round ali suddenly went blind, why is this. did liston cheat by putting something on his gloves that would come in contact with ali`s eyes. if anyone knows any of the real details please inform me.

He did get pretty desparate because Sonny was getting killed. He put the stuff you use to seal up cuts on his right glove. He was blind for two rounds i think

Comment

There is no proof of any foul play, and as most observers had the fight even at that point (rds 2 and 4 to Liston, 1 and 3 to Clay) I see no reason Liston would've cheated. Angelo Dundee believes it was just some of the ointment they were using for Liston's cut that rubbed off in a clinch . . .

Comment

yes but the same incident happened as well 2 other times during this era. the exact same thing and guess who was fighting in all 3 fights. sonny bad boy liston

Comment

Originally posted by gogan
          yes but the same incident happened as well 2 other times during this era. the exact same thing and guess who was fighting in all 3 fights. sonny bad boy liston
          Wow, that's pretty weird. I heard of it, but I don't know any facts behind the story

Comment

I think liston was willing to do whatever it took to win that fight fair or not

Comment

Not sure what the truth is but it seems the mob won that fight.

Comment

hell yea he cheated

Comment

liston deserves more respect than he ever got it can't have been easy being controled by the scurge of boxing that is the mafia as far as the glove thing with ali is concerned we will never know besides ali's corner were not that inocent didn't they cut a slit in his glove whe henry cooper knocked him down to allow him more time to recover

Comment

Bobby Chez Accused Evander holyfield of doing the same thing in their fight. Bobby's face was very red and he complained that his eyes were burning.

Comment

Working...
                    X