No announcement yet.

Johnson vs Langford

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnson vs Langford

There is some disagreement on this fight about who won and how the fight unfolded as well as claims Johnson ducked a rematch so i thought a discussion on the subject would make for a very entertaining weekend on the forum.

1/. How did the fight unfold, was it close or a beatdown!

2/. Did either fighter duck the other in a rematch!

3/. Was a rematch worthy!

Please produce links and evidence to back-up claims and not just exaggerated opinion

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
    There is some disagreement on this fight about who won and how the fight unfolded as well as claims Johnson ducked a rematch so i thought a discussion on the subject would make for a very entertaining weekend on the forum.

1/. How did the fight unfold, was it close or a beatdown!

2/. Did either fighter duck the other in a rematch!

3/. Was a rematch worthy!

Please produce links and evidence to back-up claims and not just exaggerated opinion

It is a fact that Johnson avoided Langford and wanted no part of a rematch. There are several quotes from Johnson such as "Im not gonna fight that little smoke, he's got a chance against anybody". Langford ale beat Joe Jeanette in an elimination fight for the right to fight Johnson and Jack still refused. If that had happened under todays rules Johnson would have been stripped (much the way you say Lewis was) for not fighting the best available fight and number one contender. A rematch is always worthy when the top contender beats everyone else willing to fight him.

Comment

Johnson promised Langford he would fight him for 5K whether he win or lose his match with Tommy Burns. Johnson did not live up to his promise.

edit: Source: Unforgivable Blackness.

Comment

Bit of an urban myth that this was close my understanding is that it was a very comfortable victory for Johnson. Another thing I read a lot is that Langford was green but he had been pro a few years and had fought Gans, Walcott, Blackburn and Jeanette so that is a little economical. Wouldn't argue that Langford wasn't peak and Johnson was pretty much peak. Similar too Schmelling beating Louis, Louis learnt a lot from the defeat but it was a pretty good version of Louis that Schmelling beat, don't forget that it was a year after he beat Baer which for many was the best performance he ever gave. Yes I do believe that Johnson should gave given Langford a shot and that Langford would have had a better chance given that the best of Johnson was before he became champion. Still think Johnson would have won though.

Comment

Working...
        X