No announcement yet.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. on an all-time level

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Mayweather Jr. on an all-time level

Even though he's an active fighter, I wanted to make a thread about him in this section because I wanna know what people will think of him historically.

Do you think he's one of the most skilled fighters of all-time? Which all-time greats, from the divisions he fought in, could and couldn't have beaten him?

Originally posted by -Super- View Post
    Even though he's an active fighter, I wanted to make a thread about him in this section because I wanna know what people will think of him historically.

Do you think he's one of the most skilled fighters of all-time? Which all-time greats, from the divisions he fought in, could and couldn't have beaten him?
    not sure about the all time ranking, although he is a pretty smart and skilled fighter but i can tell you that he would be ranked much higher if he took every challenge that came along (Cotto comes to mind, lol), rematched Judah, maybe even a trilogy, fight Sergio Martinez, Paul Williams, etc. (the winner of the super six at some point maybe, even if it's a little crazy?).

so you know, just not be in it for the money but for the legacy, he'd be much higher up the rankings.

Comment

Originally posted by paulsinghnl View Post
      not sure about the all time ranking, although he is a pretty smart and skilled fighter but i can tell you that he would be ranked much higher if he took every challenge that came along (Cotto comes to mind, lol), rematched Judah, maybe even a trilogy, fight Sergio Martinez, Paul Williams, etc. (the winner of the super six at some point maybe, even if it's a little crazy?).

so you know, just not be in it for the money but for the legacy, he'd be much higher up the rankings.
      Yeah, he ducked a lot of good fighters. But a rematch with Judah? I don't get that. Mayweather clearly beat him in their fight.

Comment

This post hit the nail on the head.mayweather could have fought all the guys you mentioned and more,and could have beat them.with his skills and how good his resume could have been,he could easily be ranked right up their in the ATG rankings,its a shame he isnt really bothered about legacy.

Sorry about the exaggeration on the word 'could',but i hear it so much from the *****s i thought it would make sense

Comment

Fight the Super 6 winner? In 2012 when he's 34 and will be 38 pounds over where he started? What? A trilogy with Judah is also pretty weird, but other than that, I'd have to agree. Cotto vs. Mayweather right after Cotto-Mosley and Mayweather-Hatton would have been epic.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
            Fight the Super 6 winner? In 2012 when he's 34 and will be 38 pounds over where he started? What? A trilogy with Judah is also pretty weird, but other than that, I'd have to agree. Cotto vs. Mayweather right after Cotto-Mosley and Mayweather-Hatton would have been epic.
            yeah ok the judah fight is just for me i guess cuz i like the style match up between the two. too bad Judah couldn't keep his head together. but it doesn't matter where he came from cuz he's grown up now. he wouldn't be able to go back down to the lower weight classes now. i mean, he cuts weight to 147. he fought De La Hoya at 154, he could go up to 160, so i don't know, is 168 too far?

Comment

yeah ok the judah fight is just for me i guess cuz i like the style match up between the two. too bad Judah couldn't keep his head together. but it doesn't matter where he came from cuz he's grown up now. he wouldn't be able to go back down to the lower weight classes now. i mean, he cuts weight to 147. he fought De La Hoya at 154, he could go up to 160, so i don't know, is 168 too far?
              i love the left body hook by cotto in your lower gif...

Comment

In my view he is ATG. He doesn't appear to have weaknesses, and if he does he sure knows how to hide them, because i can't see them. I will say that his refelxes and speed have declined in the last few years.

But he has great skills. You don't see any of today's champs or great fighters consistently employing check hooks and pull counters with brilliant success. Hell most of them can't even execute these 2 moves. Floyd pull countered JMM and SSM to death and KO'd Hatton with a check left hook.

Great footwork moving backwards and forwards. Not a one handed fighter. I would actually argue his left hook is his best punch. Most prob think it's his right hand. He goes to body and head. He is in shape.

i think there is not doubt he is on an att time level. I don't think therer has been doubts about that in most people's minds for a long time.

Comment

suggesting Floyd vs super six winner is not a little crazy

it's crazy period

at rematch with Judah

Floyd's legacy is already secure, he now has the right to be fighting for money only (anyway, the biggest money fights are usually the most meaningful historically speaking, USUALLY I said)

Comment

as he was moving up in weight, he seemed less unbeatable, particulalry from 147-154

most top welterweights in history would beat him, but this is not his prime weight, so this is not saying much

I think Floyd could have beaten virtually anyone in history at 130 lbs
                    Last edited by Tiozzo; 11-12-2010, 02:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X