Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dana White’s “Major Announcement” Revealed on ESPN: UFC to Launch Their Own Network

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana White’s “Major Announcement” Revealed on ESPN: UFC to Launch Their Own Network

Dana White’s “Major Announcement” Revealed on ESPN: UFC to Launch Their Own Network

Written by Tom Ngo
    October 27th, 2010
    Help 5thRound.com spread the word

The world’s premier mixed martial arts promotion issued a press release on Tuesday claiming UFC president Dana White would make a “major announcement” Thursday during a media conference call.

Unfortunately, ESPN’s Pardon the Interruption let the cat out of the proverbial bag this afternoon by announcing the Octagon will soon be launching it’s own network – a la the NFL and WWE.

“The UFC is planning to start it’s own TV Network. Is that a good idea?” co-host Michael Wilbon asked.

“I’ve got 75,000 networks on my cable system. Certainly, there’s room for even that,” PTI partner Tony Kornheiser replied.

Neither of the iconic sports journalists have shown much love for MMA on their show, unlike Jim Rome on ESPN’s highly popular Rome is Burning. Although, Wilbon has started to slide over on mixed martial arts’ side of the pendulum. He admitted to watching this weekend’s UFC 121 extravaganza featuring Brock Lesnar and Cain Velasquez.

Obviously, Octagon brass tried to keep their secret under lock and key to build up the hype for tomorrow’s conference call. Unfortunately, “The Worldwide Leader in Sports” had other ideas and stole White’s thunder.

As soon as Monday’s announcement was made, Internet geeks immediately started blasting message boards across the globe with possible theories. The early front-runners were that the UFC had either scored the ever-elusive network deal (like rival Strikeforce did with CBS many moons ago), or they were launching their own network.

The latter option was something White recently discussed with Broadcasting & Cable.

“Sports Business Journal just came out with a survey asking big names in the industry which sport could start its own network, and 4 out of 5 said us. They are right. I agree. That will happen within the next couple years,” the Octagon president stated.

The UFC’s mission for achieving global dominance has been well documented. This will certainly go a long way in their plight, as it’s expected they will have total control over everything.
    Link:
    http://www.5thround.com/57248/dana-w...r-own-network/

If this is true, I don't see how having their own network would be feasible.

I understand an ON-Demand type channel, but how are they going to fill a network 24/7 with just UFC programming.

I heard this was a long term goal, I wasn't expecting a UFC network anytime soon.

Comment

A UFC network might be good. I'd rather see an all MMA network though. I mean, there's separate channels for baseball (MLB), football (NFL network), Versus shows lots of hockey, there's an NBA channel for pro basketball, there's even a Golf channel. So why not an all MMA channel or better yet, an all MMA and boxing channnel, or one MMA channel and another all boxing channel. That would be pretty kickass IMO either way.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
        A UFC network might be good. I'd rather see an all MMA network though. I mean, there's separate channels for baseball (MLB), football (NFL network), Versus shows lots of hockey, there's an NBA channel for pro basketball, there's even a Golf channel. So why not an all MMA channel or better yet, an all MMA and boxing channnel, or one MMA channel and another all boxing channel. That would be pretty kickass IMO either way.
        I hear you, it just doesn't seem realistic if it's just a UFC network, as oppose to an MMA network.

Maybe if they filled the slots with PRIDE shows, since Zuffa has the rights, and reality type shows to get to know the fighters.

Boxing could easily have a network on it's own. MMA can as well, but that's not what's being proposed.

Comment

[QUOTE=blaze778;9476632]If this is true, I don't see how having their own network would be feasible.

I understand an ON-Demand type channel, but how are they going to fill a network 24/7 with just UFC programming.
          [QUOTE]

ultimate fighter re-runs 3 hrs a day, a bunch of prime time type of reality shows following UFC fighters, fitness shows,
          jiujitsu/wrestling/kickboxing/boxing training shows, MMA talk shows, the dana white show

i came up with that in 10 secs and im sure zuffa will find a bunch of useless shows to program on their network

Comment

Somehow this doesn't seem feasible.

Comment

Originally posted by blaze778 View Post
              I hear you, it just doesn't seem realistic if it's just a UFC network, as oppose to an MMA network.

Maybe if they filled the slots with PRIDE shows, since Zuffa has the rights, and reality type shows to get to know the fighters.

Boxing could easily have a network on it's own. MMA can as well, but that's not what's being proposed.
              Yes I know, but it's what I think SHOULD be proposed. Isn't there a channel in Canada and the UK called The Fight Network? We should have something like that in the US as well.

Comment

Is this good news?

Comment

Originally posted by JonoYoungP4P View Post
                  Is this good news?
                  This means nothing really.

He's talking about something that is years down the road... Nothing will come of it

Comment

Working...
                  X