No announcement yet.

1945 Sugar Ray Robinson VS 1977 Roberto Duran

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1945 Sugar Ray Robinson VS 1977 Roberto Duran

Sugar Ray at 142lbs and Duran at 140lbs. I think Roberto Duran would take it.

He would pressure Sugar Ray and make him fight, rather than move outside on the jab. La Motta could outpoint SRR, and I think Duran has a better chance than him.
    Roberto Duran by points
    10.53%
    Sugar Ray Robinson by points
    68.42%
    Roberto Duran by KO
    5.26%
    Sugar Ray Robinson by KO
    15.79%
    Draw
    0.00%

LaMotta was also much bigger than Sugar Ray, whereas Duran would be smaller. Robinson wins this.

Comment

robinson wins by kayo,

Comment

Sugar Ray by TKO in the 14th round after a corner stoppage.

Comment

If you're talking about prime Robinson at 147 or under, I'd pick him even if you left the opponent space blank. No disrespect to Duran.

Comment

Robinson would do magic tricks against duran

147lbs Robinson is a crocodile in a pool with a baby in it

Comment

I see this as a very close fight, unlike most obviously. Robinson fought much more like Leonard did in his early career in that he stood in a lot of used combinations to bang guys out and only moved a little.

I don't think there is any chance that either of these guys get hurt and knocked out. They are two of toughest fighters in history. It's just not happening. Neither guy gets tired enough to get hurt late and both have chins that could break your hand.

I think it would be very similar to the first Leonard/Duran fight. Robinson standing in and throwing his combinations, Duran slipping most and getting inside banging away to the counter.

Two things: Robinson punches a bit harder than Leonard and has a better chin so wouldn't get hurt as Leonard did, but he also gets hit much more than Leonard. I think these two would things would make the fight quite close. He's also just as tall, maybe even a little taller which obviously makes it hard again for Duran being only 5'7".

Robinson takes the early rounds while Duran is still warming up, and then they go at it madly for the rest to a very close decision win for Robinson.

As Scott said, when it's Robinson you just put his name in the win column at or around WW.
              Last edited by BennyST; 09-27-2010, 08:02 PM.

Comment

At 142lbs this would be a tough fight for Robinson. But at 147 I would have Robinson a strong favorite to win on points.

Comment

Originally posted by cooper5 View Post
                  At 142lbs this would be a tough fight for Robinson. But at 147 I would have Robinson a strong favorite to win on points.
                  ? There is very limited video of Robinson's fights under 140, but he is sensational in those fights that I've seen, even quicker than he was in the 140+ fights.

Comment

Working...
                  X