No announcement yet.

Joe Gans

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Gans

The CoxsCorner website has a very interesting article about Joe Gans. The author says that Gans is the pound for pound greatest fighter of all time, and of course the greatest lightweight. I've read some other sources that also say Gans was almost supernaturally great. He's is described as being the perfect fighter.

What do you guys think about Joe Gans? Has anyone seen any film of him?

Originally posted by TysonForeman
    The CoxsCorner website has a very interesting article about Joe Gans. The author says that Gans is the pound for pound greatest fighter of all time, and of course the greatest lightweight. I've read some other sources that also say Gans was almost supernaturally great. He's is described as being the perfect fighter.

What do you guys think about Joe Gans? Has anyone seen any film of him?
    i've seen some film of him, and he definelely is p4p an all-time great. i heard that they used to blindfold about 4 or 5 black men and let them beat eachother up blindfolded in the ring until there was one man standing! and the winner got something like $5! and that was how gans learned boxing! pretty interesting, huh?

Comment

He don't look like he is holding his fists properly but hey hes the pro

Comment

The film that exists on Gans is poor quality and few fights. IBRO historians recently voted him the 3rd best lightweight after Benny Leonard and Roberto Duran. Young Langford coming up beat him when Sam was just a lightweight, but Gan's title was not on the line. Poor Sam, was screwed again.

Comment

Originally posted by butterfly1964 View Post
          ithey used to blindfold about 4 or 5 black men and let them beat eachother up blindfolded in the ring until there was one man standing! and the winner got something like $5! and that was how gans learned boxing!
          bruh...
          that's not how people "learn boxing"

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Comment

Originally posted by KidBlackie View Post
            The film that exists on Gans is poor quality and few fights. IBRO historians recently voted him the 3rd best lightweight after Benny Leonard and Roberto Duran. Young Langford coming up beat him when Sam was just a lightweight, but Gan's title was not on the line. Poor Sam, was screwed again.

- -I rate Joe highly and he was also involved in one of that all time top 10 fights ever in a 40 rounder against Battling Nelson, our namesake moderator.

Epic, and as any great Greek hero he died young, tuberculosis as I recall, a common ailment back when.

Comment

One of the great things to come out of Baltimore was Joe Gans. Dempsey considered him a great fighter and used to talk about how one could hear Gans stomping as he settled his weight on his punch.

Comment

I highly recommend the book “The longest fight: In the ring with Joe Gans”. That’s the best of the two books written on him.

Gans was so far ahead of his time as far as technique goes. He’s definitely one of the greatest fighters of all-time pound for pound. He was great for a long time in an era where it wasn’t as common and fighters fought so often. He had to throw some fights like the McGovern one and suffered tuberculosis towards the end.

Comment

I doubt there was ever a better LW than Gans. I think he learned a lot from punching master Bob Fitzsimmons, who he kind of followed around for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
                    I highly recommend the book “The longest fight: In the ring with Joe Gans”. That’s the best of the two books written on him.

Gans was so far ahead of his time as far as technique goes. He’s definitely one of the greatest fighters of all-time pound for pound. He was great for a long time in an era where it wasn’t as common and fighters fought so often. He had to throw some fights like the McGovern one and suffered tuberculosis towards the end.
                    - -Obvious that I rate gans very high, but...

Joe learned at the knee of Bobby Fitz as perhaps the earliest notable examples of what is colloquialized today as boxer puncher.

Joe did not throw McG. He got his legs taken out early in the fight. Back then McG was a Tysonesque terror, so the only thing Gans had to save him was power, swinging for the fences, something a fighter with Joes power would never do if he was throwing a fight.

A myth. He may have thrown others, afterall, boxing was and still is a game to lure in the suckers and scrappy fighters know where their bread is buttered best.

Not this one.

Comment

Working...
                    X