No announcement yet.

gotta love joe frazier

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gotta love joe frazier

espn classic just showed frazier vs. ron sanders (i'm on the east coast).
    for those of your who haven't seen it, think of a 4 rd
    heavyweight corrales/castillo.
    sanders wasn't a top notch guy, but it was a brutal
    slugfest that was stopped cuz of cuts.
    really, frazier was something else.
    he just takes and takes and keeps coming and coming.
    obviously his style didn't work against a mammoth like foreman
    (tho i think he woulda been better in a rematch),
    but i can see him absolutely killing moden guys his size like tyson or tua.
    i was watchin a rerun of calvin brock/mcline and i think frazier
    would destroy those guys, man oh man.

I respect frazier but there is no way in hell could he destroy a guy like david tua.tua has never been down as a pro.i never seen him hurt as a pro.tua has problems with guys who jab and move.frazier came right at you.frazier can be hurt.frazier loses

Comment

I don't know Tommy. In his prime he may have come at guys, but his movement was the absolute best. A very hard guy to hit. Even Ali said that the Thrilla in Manilla was his toughest fight ever. He was gassed after the fight. I agree, you gotta love Smokin Joe!

Comment

Lets put it this way, a PRIME Frasier if he was around right now would probably have the belts (all of them) within 2-3 years.

Comment

Frazier getting demolished by Tua? Frazier was too elusive. You don't need a jab to handle Tua; some good head movement will work fine. Also Tua was no Foreman or Bonavena. Watch him in the Lewis fight and he's just as reluctant as Lennox to really open up. Both of those guys were afraid of one another. That's why the fight sucked so much.

Bonavena was a wild animal who would go after a mako shark if he was hungry enough. That's why he was able to hurt Frazier, because he didn't give a **** about getting hit and didn't respect his left hook at all. Tua had a better chin than Bonavena but not half the mental strength or aggression. Frazier would make Tua cautious and a cautious Tua is as good as defeated.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Achilles
            Frazier getting demolished by Tua? Frazier was too elusive. You don't need a jab to handle Tua; some good head movement will work fine. Also Tua was no Foreman or Bonavena. Watch him in the Lewis fight and he's just as reluctant as Lennox to really open up. Both of those guys were afraid of one another. That's why the fight sucked so much.

Bonavena was a wild animal who would go after a mako shark if he was hungry enough. That's why he was able to hurt Frazier, because he didn't give a **** about getting hit and didn't respect his left hook at all. Tua had a better chin than Bonavena but not half the mental strength or aggression. Frazier would make Tua cautious and a cautious Tua is as good as defeated.
            frazier, marciano etc where come forward fighters, they didn't back off and box, their tactics were to wear the other guy down, thats why frazier couldn't survive against foreman and thats why he would be unlikly to last against tua, lewis is a big modern day athlete, he can box, move and has a big punch as well, all those factors enabled him to beat tua with ease, i doubt frazier would do the same,

Comment

Originally posted by paul750
              frazier, marciano etc where come forward fighters, they didn't back off and box, their tactics were to wear the other guy down, thats why frazier couldn't survive against foreman and thats why he would be unlikly to last against tua, lewis is a big modern day athlete, he can box, move and has a big punch as well, all those factors enabled him to beat tua with ease, i doubt frazier would do the same,
              I agree, Tua is too big and powerfull for Frazier who weighed 205 in his prime.

Comment

Tua weighs about 220 lbs in shape so no I would not say it's a valid comparison. Also in saying Frazier was a swarmer you are oversimplifying things. Yes he came straight forward but he did so while feinting and bobbing and weaving. His reflexes were better than Tua's. He was right in front of you, and he did take the ocassional hard punch, but he was not a sitting target. He went through Chuvalo and cut him up bad. Chuvalo was taller and even sturdier than Tua as well as a better boxer. I'm not saying it's a sure thing that Frazier takes him out, but he would be the favorite.

Comment

uh, guys?
                  frazier beat ali.

the guy beat ali.

a - ****in - li!

ok? and we're debating how he'd do against tua?

david tua... lol.
                  cmon now, this is borderline disrespectful...

too much is made about tua's size.
                  yeah, he's solid, but he's no taller than frazier
                  so he's not gonna sit back and pop him like foreman did.
                  and he got plenty of fat on him whereas frazier was
                  205 of muscle.
                  plus, as kid mentioned, frazier did tons of upper body movement.
                  no one's evered swarmed tua the way frazier would.
                  i think the fight would last as long as tua/his corner
                  want to get pounded for and that's about it.
                  there's plenty of big, strong, hard punchers out there,
                  but this is joe frazier...

for all this bull**** people talk about tua, tell me,
                  what belts does he have? what belts has he ever had?
                  there's a reason he's got none, never been a champ.
                  he's strong, never been knocked down, blah, blah, blah.
                  he got no belts. theres a reason for that.

btw, did i mention that frazier beat ali?

Comment

But that doesn't mean he whould beat Tua. Despite the bobing and weaving, Frazier was hittable on the inside as was proven by the Ron Stander fight. I just don't think he could bang with Tua, who's punching power was in the ball park of a Tyson or a Foreman, for too long. Like Tua, Foreman was also naturally bigger than Frazier by 15 pounds, and you saw what happened in those fights, which shows that Frazier had trouble with bigger stronger fighters as with most fighters who always come strait forward.

About Tua never being a champion, Tua and Frazier fought in two different eras. If you were drop Tua in Frazier's era, he may have won the title at some point because he has good size and power, and that really matters in the heavyweight division; and that's heavyweights are so much bigger now than ever before.
                    Last edited by gravity62; 07-20-2005, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X