Opinions on this list of fighters

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on this list of fighters

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=16546

Should Max Baer and Buddy Baer be classed as Jewish ?, they came from Jewish ancestry but I don't think they practiced it of any sorts, if you do class them they should definitely be there if not that list is great.

Imo would put Berg at 9 though instead of Mendoza.
    Last edited by NChristo; 07-05-2010, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
      Should Max Baer and Buddy Baer be classed as Jewish ?, they came from Jewish ancestry but I don't think they practiced it of any sorts, if you do class them they should definitely be there if not that list is great.

Imo would put Berg at 9 though instead of Mendoza.
      Mendoza should be off. I don't think bare knuckle fighters should be recognized in the gloved era. In fact, in my opinion fighters should only be ranked under their rule set (Marques of Queensbury, London prize rules) to avoid the inevitable fantasy matches that occur when ranking one fighter above another.

Im not Jewish so Im not really sure how they go about classing themselves. I believe (But am not sure) it falls with the mothers side. If that is the case than why isn't LaMotta classified amongst Jewish fighters as well as Italians? Hopefully someone with Jewish ancestry can clear this up some.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
        Mendoza should be off. I don't think bare knuckle fighters should be recognized in the gloved era. In fact, in my opinion fighters should only be ranked under their rule set (Marques of Queensbury, London prize rules) to avoid the inevitable fantasy matches that occur when ranking one fighter above another.

Im not Jewish so Im not really sure how they go about classing themselves. I believe (But am not sure) it falls with the mothers side. If that is the case than why isn't LaMotta classified amongst Jewish fighters as well as Italians? Hopefully someone with Jewish ancestry can clear this up some.
        Yup Mendoza shouldn't be there and Berg should take his place instead of being 11th is what I meant, Mendoza wasn't even in with the big names of Bare Knuckle boxing like John L Sullivan, Bob Fitzsimmons, Jem Mace, Jake Kilrain etc, why do BS rate him so highly ?.
        Not sure about the Jewish heritage either if it does fall on the mothers side then LaMotta and Baers are in that list easily. Of course.

I don't think bare knuckle fighters should be recognized in the gloved era. In fact, in my opinion fighters should only be ranked under their rule set (Marques of Queensbury, London prize rules) to avoid the inevitable fantasy matches that occur when ranking one fighter above another.
        Bit off topic but this just reminded me, I was bored the other day and BS was full of well, BS, so I went to see ESB thinking it would have less idiots then NSB does and also because of it's reputation as another well known Boxing Forum and one of the first topics I found was John L Sullivan vs Riddick Bowe.

Haven't been there since and needless to say never will be lol.

Comment

Yup Mendoza shouldn't be there and Berg should take his place instead of being 11th is what I meant, Mendoza wasn't even in with the big names of Bare Knuckle boxing like John L Sullivan, Bob Fitzsimmons, Jem Mace, Jake Kilrain etc, why do BS rate him so highly ?.
          Not sure about the Jewish heritage either if it does fall on the mothers side then LaMotta and Baers are in that list easily. Of course.

Bit off topic but this just reminded me, I was bored the other day and BS was full of well, BS, so I went to see ESB thinking it would have less idiots then NSB does and also because of it's reputation as another well known Boxing Forum and one of the first topics I found was John L Sullivan vs Riddick Bowe.

Haven't been there since and needless to say never will be lol.

They actually have quite a few very knowledgeable posters in the classic section and much less flaming in my opinion. I rarely post there but enjoy reading the threads and have learned much. Boxingscene is home base for me though. As many idiots who troll around here there are many more posters who Im comfortable with and respect. Its like the neighborhood you grow up in. You can visit other hoods, but home is where you're most comfortable.

Comment

They actually have quite a few very knowledgeable posters in the classic section and much less flaming in my opinion. I rarely post there but enjoy reading the threads and have learned much. Boxingscene is home base for me though. As many idiots who troll around here there are many more posters who Im comfortable with and respect. Its like the neighborhood you grow up in. You can visit other hoods, but home is where you're most comfortable.
            Yeah I know, same with me, just wanted to see what it was like though and after seeing that as one of the first threads I wasn't impressed lol.

Comment

Yeah I know, same with me, just wanted to see what it was like though and after seeing that as one of the first threads I wasn't impressed lol.
              Yeah, a Bowe-Sullivan thread is enough to leave a bad taste in anyone's mouth, lol!!

Comment

- - Kosher religious jews uphold 3000 years of Jewish lineage being passed by the mother. The Baers only had a Jewish father, however they could've undergone training and conversion to make them Jewish like any Gentile might.

My brother underwent such training to marry his beloved, but in the end balked at quitting Jesus that ended a tragic relationship of true love torn apart by forces beyond their control.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post

- - Kosher religious jews uphold 3000 years of Jewish lineage being passed by the mother. The Baers only had a Jewish father, however they could've undergone training and conversion to make them Jewish like any Gentile might.

My brother underwent such training to marry his beloved, but in the end balked at quitting Jesus that ended a tragic relationship of true love torn apart by forces beyond their control.
                  I find all religions self serving. Im Catholic but do not adhere nor practice the religion. Its a shame religions or better yet religious people cannot cast aside their beliefs in the name of love.

I totally forgot about this thread. Does anyone have any input about Lamotta being Jewish, and if he should be on lists of Jewish boxers?
                  Bundana Bundana likes this.

Comment

I find all religions self serving. Im Catholic but do not adhere nor practice the religion. Its a shame religions or better yet religious people cannot cast aside their beliefs in the name of love.

I totally forgot about this thread. Does anyone have any input about Lamotta being Jewish, and if he should be on lists of Jewish boxers?
                    It's also a shame religious people use their beliefs to push their agendas when the bible contradicts itself often. I like to refer people to this clip when they use religion to support their argument:

Comment

Working...
                    X