Silva calls out Rickson!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silva calls out Rickson!

From Tatame....

'Rickson if you think Vale-Tudo is at a low technical lthe evel nowadays why don't you came fight me on Pride? I challenge you to fight me for middleweight belt on December 31st'. This explosive statement was made last week in Japan by Pride Middleweight Champion Wanderlei Silva, after reading the last edition of Tatame Magazine that had Rickson Gracie on the cover. In the 7 page interview the Gracie family's head honcho summarized his career, telling for the first time about his Vale Tudo debut on the Rio de Janeiro streets and impressed the fans with controversial statements like: 'I´m cheering for Ricardo Arona in this Pride GP'. Rickson also promised to fight once or twice before retirement: 'I don't have any proposal right now but that's my plan. I really would like to do one or two fights before I stop', said the Gracie. But the most controversial part of the interview was undoubtfully when he said Minotauro's guard for Vale-Tudo is weak and also that he considers all Vale-Tudo fighters nowadays at a low technical level: 'Sometimes I'd rather see a beautiful K-1 fight than one of those bad Vale-Tudo fights', said Gracie in a statement that turned into the main subject of all brazilian fighters encounters in Tokyo in the days before Pride GP.

Considered the no1 rival of Rickson in Brazil during 80's, Marco Ruas (who came to Japan to support his students Pedro Rizzo) also complained about the part of the interview when Rickson told of day that he invaded Luta-Livre HQ to challenge Luta-Livre people. 'He said he challenged me and I asked four months to train. That was not true because I was 100% ready that day, but he said he was looking for Luta-Livre guys, not me. Everybody in Brazil always dreamed of seeing this fight. I think we finally could make it. We are about the same age. It would be a great pleasure for me to make a retirement fight against Rickson', said Ruas.

Rickson by arm....WTF!! Silva by BRUTAL KO!!!

Ruas vs Rickson would be a very interesting

Comment

I would love to see Rickson vs Ruas. Ruas would mangle him, most likely.

Comment

Marco Ruas vs. Rickson Gracie... Luta Livre vs. BJJ, just like the old days.

Comment

It'd be a good retirement fight for both of them....

Comment

are you kidding me?

what is Rickson like 50?

Comment

I meant Rickson vs. Ruas. They are both in there 40s....

Comment

Ruas may actually be older, as I don't believe anybody knows his true age.

Comment

Ruas and Rickson would be a good fight. I havent seen Rickson lose (but he seems to be older than Ruas). I did see Ruas lose to sambo dude Oleg Taktarov which I couldnt understand. (It looked like Ruas didnt want to fight) or(Ruas skill couldnt beat Oleg).
                  I also saw in Pride Ruas vs Fujita? and he looked like he was winning but gassed and couldnt continue to fight and quit.

Ruas vs. Rickson............ I pick Rickson.

Silva who has lost to Vitor(KO) and Hunt is a formidable opponent against Rickson. Silva can dominate but he can make mistakes while doing what he does best.(annihilate anyone standing in front of him). Rickson wouldnt stand in front of him. That would be a tough fight for both...............I pick Rickson. NOt because of superiority of skill but rather the skill to overcome an opponent at the most vulnerable situtation.

Comment

Ruas is at least 45, could very well have just turned 46 though.

Can't remember exactly.

I'd take Silva by brutal KO, and Ruas and Gracie would be a pretty damn good match that is a toss up in my eyes.

Comment

Working...
                    X