No announcement yet.

'Barbardos Demon' Joe Walcott

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Barbardos Demon' Joe Walcott

Always knew about Walcott and how capable he was, how he toppled people who were significantly taller and weighed more then him.

Recently felt the need to research him somewhat more and this man was truly a physical freak an immense figure in boxing in the later 1800 - early 1900, the majority of his losses came after a gun incident which left Joe's right hand a mess where it should of been amputated but it was saved somehow, can only imagine how much greater he could of become if he hand wasn't messed up.

Walcott was ducked so much that he stated
    "Since no welterweight or middleweight will fight me I am compelled to go to the next class. Will any heavyweights fight me?"
    Where he issued challenges to, Tom Sharkey, Gus Ruhlin and Jim Jeffries but all refused to step in the ring with him.
    (Most probably more to do with Race then anything).

" One of Walcott's greatest victories was against Joe Choynski. Choyinski had gone 28 rounds against Jim Corbett, and drew with the likes of Bob Fitzsimmons and Al "Kid" McCoy and would knock out a young Jack Johnson the following year. Choyinski outweighed Walcott 173 to 137 pounds and was a 5-1 favorite to beat the game little Walcott. The "Barbados Demon" demonstrated his impressive punching power by flooring Choyinski several times in the first round and gave the latter a terrific beating before stopping him in the 7th round. "

(Source: Some information taken from http://coxscorner.tripod.com/walcott.html, others from newspaper articles).

Some footage of him I fount, he seems to be a quite well spoken and humble man despite his reputation in the ring.

What's everyone's thoughts on him ?, and if you have any information please share.
    Last edited by NChristo; 01-12-2011, 03:06 PM.

Barbados Joe Walcott, who was only a little over 5 feet tall and weighed 140 pounds, once knocked down and gave a beating to 6'3, 255 lb Fred Russell who was coming off a KO win over well-regarded heavyweight Klon***e Haynes. It's hard to even imagine, but it happened.

Comment

I believe he's the guy who came up with "The bigger they come, the harder they fall". He damn sure proved it. Fleischer considers him the greatest Welterweight of all time. I'd have to rate him in the top 5 for sure.

Comment

No one interested in Walcott ?

Where does everyone rank him as a WW ?, comes in at 2-3 for me.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
          No one interested in Walcott ?

Where does everyone rank him as a WW ?, comes in at 2-3 for me.
          I have never seen a single fight of that Joe Walcott.

Is there any footage of him?

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
            I have never seen a single fight of that Joe Walcott.

Is there any footage of him?
            Been searching for some but can't find any anywhere, will look deeper into collector shops / websites and whatnot when I have time too.

Don't usually rate a boxer so high if I haven't seen them fight but Walcott's story is kind of amazing how he beat boxers who were so much bigger then him and such, the names on his resume seem pretty damn impressive too.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
              Barbados Joe Walcott, who was only a little over 5 feet tall and weighed 140 pounds, once knocked down and gave a beating to 6'3, 255 lb Fred Russell who was coming off a KO win over well-regarded heavyweight Klon***e Haynes. It's hard to even imagine, but it happened.
              But you know many fights then were staged for market value and what brings more market value than such a feat ?

Comment

Originally posted by frankenfrank View Post
                But you know many fights then were staged for market value and what brings more market value than such a feat ?
                Because it was a small darker skinned man knocking out a much larger white man who just came of a great win over a recognized darker skinned man in Klon***e, the last thing anyone would want is for a much smaller man to knock him down.

The fight was called a draw, I've read many times that there were fights that Joe Walcott was in where if he didn't get the KO then the fight would be called a draw and Walcott wouldn't get a penny, this was probably one of them.

Peter Jackson and Kid Lavigne are other examples, there's also been fights where they was cut short for no reason by the ref and called a draw and obviously decisions against him.
                Last edited by NChristo; 06-08-2010, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post
                  I believe he's the guy who came up with "The bigger they come, the harder they fall". He damn sure proved it. Fleischer considers him the greatest Welterweight of all time. I'd have to rate him in the top 5 for sure.
                  I heard it was John L. Sullivan who coined that phrase.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw Stinger View Post
                    I heard it was John L. Sullivan who coined that phrase.
                    Bob Fitzsimmons is another who was said to have coined it, no one really fits the phrase better then Walcott though.

Comment

Working...
                    X