Facing Ali - Fantastic Book

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facing Ali - Fantastic Book

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

I really recommend this book. It's a very interesting look at the men who faced Ali. Just started reading it today, and I'm hooked. The author met with fifteen of the men who fought Ali, and constructed this book from the interviews. Each man gets his own chapter:

Tunney Hunsaker
    Henry Cooper
    George Chuvalo
    Brian London
    Karl Mildenberger
    Joe Frazier
    Jurgen Blin
    Joe Bugner
    Ken Norton
    George Foreman
    Chuck Wepner
    Ron Lyle
    Jean-Pierre Coopman
    Earnie Shavers
    Larry Holmes

Gotta get that one!

Comment

I've read up to Jurgen Blin now. Really, the stories of some of these guys are really interesting. After reading this, you'll be hard pressed to call any man that steps into the ring with a professional fighter a "bum", even if they get wiped out in the first round.

Comment

I have that book and have read it on a couple of occasions. I've also read numerous other boxing books in my lifetime (including a bunch on Ali), and I can't say I was overly impressed with 'Facing Ali'...It's a pretty average read if you ask me, especially when you consider that vast amount of great literature that's available on this great sport.

Among other books, Peter Heller's 'In This Corner' is ten times better than Stephen Brunt's 'Facing Ali', in my opinion.

Heller's book is one that I'd always highly recommend to any boxing fan that wants to read some great stories about some famous andf great boxers of the past.

Comment

I though Facing Ali was a fun and informative read on the lesser known opponents that fought Ali like Blin, Pierre-Coopman, Hunsayer,etc.

Have any of you guys heard of a book like this on Mike Tyson's opponents? I Can't find it anywhere.

Comment

I liked Facing Ali alot as well. I picked it up when I was taking a red-eye home from Vegas and while I did not read much on the plane before I passed out, I really enjoyed it after I had gotten some rest. I flinched a little during the Joe Fraizer section, I would like to think of Joe a little more kindley then his words will allow me too. But I suppose we enjoy fighters for what they do in the ring and not out of it. It is just a pity that Sonny Liston is not still around to have contributed to the book, I would have especially liked to hear what he had to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Menace View Post
              http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

I really recommend this book. It's a very interesting look at the men who faced Ali. Just started reading it today, and I'm hooked. The author met with fifteen of the men who fought Ali, and constructed this book from the interviews. Each man gets his own chapter:

Tunney Hunsaker
              Henry Cooper
              George Chuvalo
              Brian London
              Karl Mildenberger
              Joe Frazier
              Jurgen Blin
              Joe Bugner
              Ken Norton
              George Foreman
              Chuck Wepner
              Ron Lyle
              Jean-Pierre Coopman
              Earnie Shavers
              Larry Holmes
              - -I've got Alan Goldstein's "Muhammad Ali-
              Eyewitness Report of a Boxing Legend" published 20 years ago when most of Ali opponents were still alive.

Big tall pictorial with a forward by Big George.

Many of his early opponents were nonplussed complaining of early stoppages, something I noticed when I watched and scored all his fights.

Even got little Jimmy Robinson who only weighed 158 lb and needed a "scale adjustment" to make the 176 lb weight.

The legend crescendo soon starts building for the triumphant reign before crashing to the tragic end.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                - -I've got Alan Goldstein's "Muhammad Ali-
                Eyewitness Report of a Boxing Legend" published 20 years ago when most of Ali opponents were still alive.

Big tall pictorial with a forward by Big George.

Many of his early opponents were nonplussed complaining of early stoppages, something I noticed when I watched and scored all his fights.

Even got little Jimmy Robinson who only weighed 158 lb and needed a "scale adjustment" to make the 176 lb weight.

The legend crescendo soon starts building for the triumphant reign before crashing to the tragic end.
                you're replying to 15 year old posts again you drunk b%stard
                LMAO 😂

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Taylor View Post
                  you're replying to 15 year old posts again you drunk b%stard
                  LMAO 😂
                  - -Old posts were once new old bean.

Comment

Working...
                  X