Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the Most underrated Fighter in Boxing History?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is the Most underrated Fighter in Boxing History?

A few names that come in to my head were Willie Joyce, Eddie Booker and Holman Williams. Also for me Primo Carnera gets very under rated! the guy was no were near as bad as peple like to think! he had some great wins over former european champion and spanish hardman Paulino Uzcudun, Jack Sharkey and Tommy Loughran. He also had a decent chin, big heart as he showed against bear and a great jab, i rate him as a better fighter than tommy burns, marvin hart and jess wilard all former heavyweight champions who are in the ibhf
    Last edited by Joey Giardello; 03-02-2010, 06:31 PM.

McCallum deserves a mention as a very underrated fighter

Comment

Originally posted by Joey Giardello View Post
      A few names that come in to my head were Willie Joyce, Eddie Booker and Holman Williams. Also for me Primo Carnera gets very under rated! the guy was no were near as bad as peple like to think! he had some great wins over former european champion and spanish hardman Paulino Uzcudun, Jack Sharkey and Tommy Loughran. He also had a decent chin, big heart as he showed against bear and a great jab, i rate him as a better fighter than tommy burns, marvin hart and jess wilard all former heavyweight champions who are in the ibhf

I also think Carnera is very underrated. He wasn't a bad fighter at all, but would fit in better with todays lumbering giants than the active and bit more skilled fighters of his own day.

Comment

2 very under rated fighters in america are british fighters herol graham and john conteh

Comment

Pone Kingpetch

Comment

Originally posted by Joey Giardello View Post
            2 very under rated fighters in america are british fighters herol graham and john conteh
            Herol Graham is an old favorite of mine. Speaking of which I think I'll watch a couple of his fights tonight after the hockey game is over.

Poet

Comment

John Ruiz is always very underrated. Not the most exciting style, but he's gotten the job done against plenty of fighters who were supposed to beat him. He's got a sneaky right hand and has show the ability to hang in there since the Tua debacle.

Comment

Carnera had more KO's than any other HW champ.. Good call, he'd have beaten Valuev IMO..
                Johnny Nelson's name came up the other day, and so did Charley Burley's.. I'd throw these two into the hat without a second thought.. But as for THE, hmmm, I reckon you'll need to do a poll of 9 obvious names, with 1 choice of an alternative.

Other names I'd consider:-

Brian Mitchell
                Jose Roman
                Max Schmeling
                Duilo Loi
                Packey McFarland
                Peter Kane
                Jim Driscoll
                Steve Collins
                Terry McGovern

Comment

Joey Maxim!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  He beat Sugar Ray Robinson, he beat Jersey Joe Walcott and after he lost the title to Archie Moore he had enough left to upset an undefeated Floyd Patterson.

Comment

Originally posted by cooper5 View Post
                    Joey Maxim!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    He beat Sugar Ray Robinson, he beat Jersey Joe Walcott and after he lost the title to Archie Moore he had enough left to upset an undefeated Floyd Patterson.

With all due respect to Maxim, he won against Robinson, I wouldn't say he beat him. His win over Patterson was against a fighter with only 13 fights, and Walcott was fighting his 6th fight in 6 months, his second in ten days. Maxim was a helluva fighter, I just don't think these 3 fights springboard him to being one of the most underrated. Just my opinion of course.

Comment

Working...
                    X