No announcement yet.

Defense inside fighting

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defense inside fighting

Yesterday i was sparring this really long inexperienced guy, i knew to stay close as possible to him but i dont have much experience fighting this way and one thing i noticed is i was only really able to body punch him but not to his head since that would leave that side of my head open for a moment, also he was trying to back up and i was trying to dig my forehead into his chest and keep pounding his body. An experienced tall fighter would have hooked my head off!
    Against a taller person should u remain inside close all the time or is it better to get in fast deliver the combo and get out again? And how do u defend ur head when inside really close?
    Last edited by GhostFighter; 02-12-2010, 05:28 AM.

Originally posted by GhostFighter View Post
    Yesterday i was sparring this really long inexperienced guy, i knew to stay close as possible to him but i dont have much experience fighting this way and one thing i noticed is i was only really able to body punch him but not to his head since that would leave that side of my head open for a moment, also he was trying to back up and i was trying to dig my forehead into his chest and keep pounding his body. An experienced tall fighter would have hooked my head off!
    Against a taller person should u remain inside close all the time or is it better to get in fast deliver the combo and get out again? And how do u defend ur head when inside really close?
    Watch some Henry Armstrong vids on YouTube, everything you need to know is there.

Comment

Originally posted by EzzardFan View Post
      Watch some Henry Armstrong vids on YouTube, everything you need to know is there.
      I don't know about Armstrong(don't get me wrong, what the man accomplished was nothing short of amazing). But, he was a bit crude.

I'd say, watch some Julio Cesar Chavez Sr fights(my opinion, I thought JCC's defense was underrated by many) or Joe Frazier.

Inside fighting skills are a lost skill my friend. It takes more skill and guts to fight inside than to keep foes at bay.

And as far as the Thread Starter's question of whether he should stay close or jump in, jump out. Here's a rule of thumb, always be in position to punch, meaning, once you find that distance, stay in there.

The problem with jumping in and out against a taller opponent is you have to reset again, as you have already found out, just trying to close that distance against a taller foe is a challenge in of itself.
      Last edited by jimmy webb; 02-12-2010, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X