No announcement yet.

George Foreman's PR stunt

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Foreman's PR stunt

George Foreman once fought five guys in one night and I think he knocked them all out. No, this is not a far fetched story to scare other boxers who faced him, this is a PR stunt George pulled in the late 70's to try to win public suport after losing to Ali in 76. If you go to Boxrec.com to try to find these fights on his record you will come up empty handed because I think the fights weren't sanctioned. Also, I think the premise behind the movie"Diggstown" was inspired by this event.

My point here is that you got to admire George Foreman for pulling this kind of stunt, I mean fighting and knocking out five freakin guys in one night! Thats what legends are made of. Have any of you guys seen the actual fight footage of this night? I've seen clips of it on"GF,beyond the glory" but I would like to know what it was like from someone who saw the whole thing.

Yea I heard that to on a documentary. Crazy shiot...

Comment

maybe little offtopic, when i was wacthing legendary night foreman vs moorer, they say foreman made 100$millions(biggest price fighting?) for having same shorts when he fough ali or something like that. what was it?, anyone know more about it?.

Comment

Charlie Polite lasted the distance of 3 rounds. The others were Terry Daniels, Jerry Judge, Boone Kirkman and Alonzo Johnson.

Comment

every day i come to these forums and i always learn something new. Thanks guys

Comment

I saw it. It was a circus atmosphere and none of em ever really threatened Big George.

He was trying to re-establish himself as a player in the division after losing to Jimmy Young. The opposite effect occurred however as it was viewed as a joke by most pundits.

Comment

Actually, this exhibition took place before fight with Young.

http://www.cyberboxingzone.com/boxing/george.htm

Comment

jimmy young was his last fight before retiring for 10 years.
                George was so devastated by his defeat he quit, he said he felt like
                the core of him disappered and emotionally almost killed himself.

Comment

Do you guys think any of the current heavyweights today could pull off such a stunt?(fighting 5 guys in one night or even fighting more than one in one night)I think that Vitali or Rahman or even Tyson could pull something like that off today if the oppenents were real amateurs. But, I don't think that boxing officials would let it happen and I don't think any of those guys have the balls to do it. However,it would be pretty cool to watch and I'm sure they would do good in ppv sales.

Comment

Today's heavyweights barely survive their scheduled matches so I doubt any of our current fairies could pull it off.

Comment

Working...
                    X