No announcement yet.

Weights & stunting growth?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weights & stunting growth?

i've been lifting weights for about 2 months now and have seen vast improvements in my body. im 15, 130 pounds , and 5' 7". i was wondering if its such a good idea to lift right now since it might stunt my growth.ever since i was 13 i've been waiting to hit the weights but was scared that i could stay small but here i am now at a mediocre height for my age. should i stop? ohh yea this might help a lil bit, i am filipino...we're not that big.
    Last edited by azn_violater; 04-28-2005, 06:50 PM.

than i would say it is okay to keep lifting just make sure if you do bench press work out your shoulders and back bc the chest muscle will grow over the shoulder musclue and cause serious problems

Comment

The whole "weights will stunt your growth" thing is pretty much a training MYTH. And since boxing is the home of training myths, I'm sure plenty of people will tell you to stop doing the weights untill you're 25, legally married, and have made a blood sacrifice to the virgin Mary.

Keep hitting the weights if you want, there's no problem in doing so, just do it in a sensible manner, especially if you're boxing.

Comment

do not think that bodybuilding will stop anyone's height. Improper weight training can stunt your growth if you prematurely impose enough stress on the growth plates to cause them to close up early. The human male can grow in height till he is about 22 years old. So, you have about 6-7 years of growing left to do. Just target the muscles and do not go too heavy on squats and big compound multi-joint requiring exercises and you should be fine. Your height seems fine for your age. You may come from a genetically challenged family and that is the growth issue more than bodybuilding. I take it that this is the issue because you have been lifting for only two months now.

Comment

Yes, indeed this is thought nowadays as a myth. I know a lot of people that lift enormous weights and has grown up a lot in their teenages, but be careful with some substantions if you take any, because they can definitely stunt your growth. I don't mean any supplements, but steroids and hormones. Be careful and train with your head Good luck

Comment

weight training at a young age is good for you, as long as you are doing it correctly & you dont make it too heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by Blink* View Post
              do not think that bodybuilding will stop anyone's height. Improper weight training can stunt your growth if you prematurely impose enough stress on the growth plates to cause them to close up early. The human male can grow in height till he is about 22 years old. So, you have about 6-7 years of growing left to do. Just target the muscles and do not go too heavy on squats and big compound multi-joint requiring exercises and you should be fine. Your height seems fine for your age. You may come from a genetically challenged family and that is the growth issue more than bodybuilding. I take it that this is the issue because you have been lifting for only two months now.
              soccer alone puts more press on the growth plates, that weights stops growth is a big myth.........BUT i would be careful at your age so i woudnt get any injuries

Comment

Originally posted by PunchDrunk View Post
                And since boxing is the home of training myths, I'm sure plenty of people will tell you to stop doing the weights untill you're 25, legally married, and have made a blood sacrifice to the virgin Mary.
                LMAO.

Hit the weights. Keep your poundages down and get your form perfect. I mean PERFECT. In 5-10 years, when you've grown into your mature physique, you'll be far better served by having instinctive, pefect form on all your lifts than from being able to "cheat" a whole stack of weights. Get the moves down now, and it will amaze you what you'll be able to do not too far down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by azn_violater View Post
                  , i am filipino...we're not that big.
                  Missed this. There's a Filipino at my weightlifting gym, named Mark, who looks like a genetic experiment gone awry. (I know he's Filipino because I overheard him hitting on a Korean chick telling her he was Filipino.) He has shoulders like cannonballs and the vastus medialus heads on the sides of his knees look like oranges. Being Asian shouldn't matter. Learn to lift right and it will come.

BTW, Mark's lifts are textbook-perfect, very controlled, and not real massive poundages, though I have no doubts he's strong as hell.

Comment

Originally posted by fraidycat View Post
                    LMAO.

Hit the weights. Keep your poundages down and get your form perfect. I mean PERFECT. In 5-10 years, when you've grown into your mature physique, you'll be far better served by having instinctive, pefect form on all your lifts than from being able to "cheat" a whole stack of weights. Get the moves down now, and it will amaze you what you'll be able to do not too far down the road.
                    there used to be a guy in my gym who was about 5'6" or 5'7" but he looked like a pro bodybuilder. he didn't push near as much weight as any of us expected, but his technique was perfect

Comment

Working...
                    X