No announcement yet.

Hearns rematches that should have been

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hearns rematches that should have been

Hagler and Hearns April 15th 1985 fight was the greatest 3 rounder ever.And one year later,March of 86,both fought on the same card,Hagler struggling with an 11th round stopage on John the beast Mugabi,And Hearns scoring a strong 1st round ko on James Shuler.But lets say Hagler and Hearns fought each other on that night,keep in mind that Emanual Steward commented that Hearns had peaked in the Shuler fight,and his legs were obviously stronger than in the first Hagler fight,and also Hearns is now a more filled out middleweight.Who would have prevailed? Also a Leonard Hearns rematch in 84 when hearns was so dominating and Leonard had not retired. Who would have prevailed in this one also.

Hearns may have beaten Leonard in '84, but that is questionable. The only rematch that I believe that Hearns would have certainly won would be against Iran Barkley. I really dont know how Barkley was still standing after Hearns was laying those bombs on him. And then that left hook, I couldnt believe it when it happened and still find it somewhat unbelievable today.........Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by 80schamps
      Hagler and Hearns April 15th 1985 fight was the greatest 3 rounder ever.And one year later,March of 86,both fought on the same card,Hagler struggling with an 11th round stopage on John the beast Mugabi,And Hearns scoring a strong 1st round ko on James Shuler.But lets say Hagler and Hearns fought each other on that night,keep in mind that Emanual Steward commented that Hearns had peaked in the Shuler fight,and his legs were obviously stronger than in the first Hagler fight,and also Hearns is now a more filled out middleweight.Who would have prevailed? Also a Leonard Hearns rematch in 84 when hearns was so dominating and Leonard had not retired. Who would have prevailed in this one also.
      Hagler would still be too much for Hearns to handle in 1986. The reason is simple, he would turn it into a slugfest. And you can not survive slugging it out with Hagler. Hearns could match Haglers skill and power, but not his chin. This would be his downfall.

I believe Leonard would defeat Hearns in 84.

Comment

Originally posted by M26
        Hagler would still be too much for Hearns to handle in 1986. The reason is simple, he would turn it into a slugfest. And you can not survive slugging it out with Hagler. Hearns could match Haglers skill and power, but not his chin. This would be his downfall.

I believe Leonard would defeat Hearns in 84.
        Possibly,but then again,I see Hearns boxing hagler from the get go,and remember it took many of Haglers punches to wear down Hearns and eventually knock him out.I see Hearns not being there as often to be hit as in the first fight.If anything ,I would think the fight would go longer with there being a knockout by either of the two men,with Hearns having no broken hand this time..

Comment

Possibly,but then again,I see Hearns boxing hagler from the get go,and remember it took many of Haglers punches to wear down Hearns and eventually knock him out.I see Hearns not being there as often to be hit as in the first fight.If anything ,I would think the fight would go longer with there being a knockout by either of the two men,with Hearns having no broken hand this time..
          did he really broke his hand in the first fight?, or it was an excus? . however it was the greatest 3round fight ever

Comment

No,It was confirmed.When HBO ran the special back in 85 [I still have it]they had talked about it,and when the break happened.Hearns sat there with the bandage on his hand and was talking about how long the docter told him to keep it on,and the gradual strengthing of it,after the bandage was off.But with the way Hagler was coming at him though, who knows.

Comment

No,It was confirmed.When HBO ran the special back in 85 [I still have it]they had talked about it,and when the break happened.Hearns sat there with the bandage on his hand and was talking about how long the docter told him to keep it on,and the gradual strengthing of it,after the bandage was off.But with the way Hagler was coming at him though, who knows.
              ok, what a heart he got. how can he still punch with a broken hand then?. in the third round it looks like he was quiting.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin1
                Hearns may have beaten Leonard in '84, but that is questionable. The only rematch that I believe that Hearns would have certainly won would be against Iran Barkley. I really dont know how Barkley was still standing after Hearns was laying those bombs on him. And then that left hook, I couldnt believe it when it happened and still find it somewhat unbelievable today.........Rockin'
                I think Hearns never beats Hagler. Hagler is too strong (mind and chin)
                Leonard is debateable

As far as Barkley, Hearns did fight and lose a rematch with The Blade. It was a decision, but Hearns took a beating. It was at Light Heavyweight I believe.

Comment

i've never actually seen there second match, how the hell did hearns lose again?
                  He pratically trashed him the first time until barkley unloosed a lucky punch to hearns chin.
                  That was one heck of a suprise!

Comment

Originally posted by The_One77
                    i've never actually seen there second match, how the hell did hearns lose again?
                    He pratically trashed him the first time until barkley unloosed a lucky punch to hearns chin.
                    That was one heck of a suprise!

hearns was done by 1992 when they rematched, he wasnt the same fighter at that point. hearns would have kayoed leonard in 84, i also believe hearns would have stopped hagler in a rematch, hagler was on the way down after that fight

Comment

Working...
                    X