No announcement yet.

Foreman's Fighting Style

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foreman's Fighting Style

You guys ever notice Foreman's open glove fighting style. Most noticebly in the Ali,Lyle,Norton fights, foreman opens his fists and looks like he's trying to catch the other fighters punches. When he "catches the punches" he is able to counter with power punches. If you look at any pictures from the 'Rumble' 99% of them he has an open fist! Just look at my avatar! I guess what my question is, is this an effective fighting style? Do any other boxers use it?

Originally posted by BostonGuy
    You guys ever notice Foreman's open glove fighting style. Most noticebly in the Ali,Lyle,Norton fights, foreman opens his fists and looks like he's trying to catch the other fighters punches. When he "catches the punches" he is able to counter with power punches. If you look at any pictures from the 'Rumble' 99% of them he has an open fist! Just look at my avatar! I guess what my question is, is this an effective fighting style? Do any other boxers use it?
    Yeah, Jack Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by asian_sensation
      Yeah, Jack Johnson.
      That's right asian! I remember the fight footage in "unforgiveable blackness" Jack Johnson was in some ways like foreman. I could only Imagine Johnson vs. some other great heavyweights(Ali,Foreman,Holyfield,Marciano,Tyson) . I think he'd do pretty good.

Comment

It's harder to do today cause the gloves are stiffer and wont open that much.

Comment

Do any contemperary heavyweights use this style? Would it be an effective style today?

Comment

foreman pratically had no boxing skill and that's why he lost against ali. all he did was try to overpower him by widly swinging punches without hardly any accuracy, all being very wide. His style was open to all punches from ali and that's why he got hit so often.
            Ali labelled him the mummy.

Comment

Bryd does it sometimes,

Comment

Foreman is awesome. I think he used his bear paws...because he could!

Comment

Why do people continue to insist foreman didnt have any boxing skills?If he couldnt box and was so slow wouldnt he have more than 4 loses in his career?Two in his prime and two when he came back..(He was Robbed against Briggs).Foreman boxed he had a really really quick jab probably one of the best in boxing history.his right had was great his hook was great his uppercut was vicious he was quick on his feet,,,just ask Ali why did the rope a dope.He said it was because Foreman was to quick to outbox.Foreman fought stupid against Ali and now he is labeled as some stupid boxer who just loaded up with every punch based on just that fight.
                  Anyway Foremans style was weird.And do you remember how he used to push away his opponents when they got close?I never seen any other fighter try to do that either.But that is just George for you i guess.

Comment

He came back and won the world title at age 45, Tyson couldn't even beat McBride at age 38, Foreman had decent skills and extreme power

Comment

Working...
                    X