No announcement yet.

Countering the Right Hand

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Countering the Right Hand

I've been thinking about counters to the Right Hand, be it a straight right hand (Cross) or an Overhand Right. I consider knowing counters to the right hand important, both in boxing and everyday life. Like if some guy got mad at you and decided to punch you, he's either going to throw a straight right hand or an Overhand Right.

So these are a couple of counters I came up with:

Opponent throws right hand -> Outside slip to the left, Left Body Hook (or Left Shovel Hook), Left Head Hook, Overhand Right

Opponent throws right hand -> Inside slip to the right, Cross

Opponent throws a right hand -> Outside slip to the left, Overhand Right

However, these are the ones I came up with. What counters to the right hand work best for you guys?

here is a slick counter

Originally posted by Boxing_Fan66 View Post
    I've been thinking about counters to the Right Hand, be it a straight right hand (Cross) or an Overhand Right. I consider knowing counters to the right hand important, both in boxing and everyday life. Like if some guy got mad at you and decided to punch you, he's either going to throw a straight right hand or an Overhand Right.

Opponent throws right hand -> Outside slip to the left, Left Body Hook (or Left Shovel Hook), Left Head Hook, Overhand Right

However, these are the ones I came up with. What counters to the right hand work best for you guys?
    if someone throws the straight right hand, when u see it coming,shoulder roll while at the same time, take a half step back on ur back foot n slightly bend ur back leg while putting up ur right hand as a sheild to catch or parry, then once that hand makes contact with ur right parrying hand or comes in vicinity to ur lead should, WHIP the left hook over their right shoulder while their arm is out n while turning ur own front leg slightly to generate torque.....its more of a whipping fast shot, but its very effective.....takes some good coordination n natural ability though....very unorthodox but its one of my own easiest safest counters

Comment

Parry > Left Hook to the head > finish with right cross to the face.

I am not a counterpuncher, but that's the best i can come up with.

Comment

If its a wild overhand right in a street fight. A quick left hook is there all day every day duck and pivot to your left under their right. And he will not know what hit him.

In boxing I would let it go to the shoulder and fire back with a right uppercut left hook combo.

Comment

over hand is the weapon of choice... :wank:

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing_Fan66 View Post

my friend your counters are not do able,you are slipping to much,you will slip into a left hook to the jaw

Comment

Originally posted by mrboxer View Post
              my friend your counters are not do able,you are slipping to much,you will slip into a left hook to the jaw
              Slipping to your left puts you outside his right and away from his left hook!!! NO?

Comment

rolling with a right in amateurs is a good move, but unless you have good judges out there it will seem as if you got hit with a right. On the other hand outside slip and coming back with a left hook is a killer move, that's true experience right there but it takes a lot of practice and timing to get that down.

Comment

Originally posted by alb829 View Post
                  Slipping to your left puts you outside his right and away from his left hook!!! NO?
                  no

Comment

All your set-ups are perfectly acceptable, they just take quite a bit of dexterity. If you know the straight right is coming then slipping is fine. Slipping to your left (his right) is the right thing to do, just keep in mind, it is a more advanced method of handling the straight. blocking and immediately countering with your own cross, or cross into combo is what you should start with, then the alternative blocking/parry options, then the slipping, although, the slipping into the combos is where it's at. Also, don't forget your outside slipping body options, o.slip -> b.cross/ o.slip->b.cross->L.hook->cross Etc.

Mr Boxer: Explain yourself. How is he setting himself up for the left hook by slipping to the outside of the right cross? If he is slipping correctly he has his right guard up anyway. If the cross is part of a combo, the left hook will come and meet leather, if he knows the hook is coming, he can slip the cross and throw his own cross and still meet face before the hook gets anywhere while simultaneously blocking his chin with his right shoulder (seeing as we are assuming he is throwing the counter cross correctly). You're thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                    X