No announcement yet.

Rating the All Time Heavyweights in 10 Categories

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rating the All Time Heavyweights in 10 Categories

This is an interesting website. You should check it out: http://coxscorner.tripod.com/boxchart1.html

If you finish reading that page, scroll to the bottom and click on ALL TIME HEAVYWEIGHT STAT CHART to see the chart.

Notice how Jack Johnson got a 10 in defense. Someone in here said they didn't know he was a defensive fighter.

I remember someone saying this about Johnson and Ali:

"They used to make guys miss by pulling back. And that's a no no in boxing because pulling back is like being in the train tracks and then the train's coming. You don't move back because, eventually, it's gonna hit you. You move either to one side or you move to the other. Johnson and Ali went back but the train never caught up with them."

Comment

Originally posted by Stoppage View Post

"They used to make guys miss by pulling back. And that's a no no in boxing because pulling back is like being in the train tracks and then the train's coming. You don't move back because, eventually, it's gonna hit you. You move either to one side or you move to the other. Johnson and Ali went back but the train never caught up with them."

My trainer always says that. You can never move back. It's two different ways moving back: 1- You move back like that if you're scared and don't throw punches back. 2- You could move back but throw punches.

I agree, if you just move back all the time and don't throw any punch, the train is going to hit you but if you move back and you throw punches, the train won't hit you.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoppage View Post

Jose Torres.

Comment

Jack Johnson was as defensive as it gets. His style was all about shutting an opponent down, not about his own offense.

I have seen the list before and while I obviously don't agree with nearly all of it, it's interesting nonetheless.

Comment

DURABILITY -

"In the next group are those fighters who had relatively strong chins but who suffered the occasional knockdown or rare knockout are fighters such as Tyson or Frazier who receive 8’s. Frazier's face also had a tendency to swell"

"Louis also gets an 8 here, knocked down- but only out twice (once at age 21 before he hit his peak and in his last fight). Louis showed exceptional recuperative ability in recovering from knockdowns, fighting back with skill, power and determination when hurt."

"Only Patterson rates a 4, below average. The worst chin among the champions, he was dropped 16 times and kayoed five times. Most of his knockdowns were in knockout losses and he never really showed the ability to recover from a knockdown."

RESPONSE -

Patterson was knocked out three times not five,Patterson wasn't knocked out nor did he quit against Ali twice.

This idiot fails to aknowledge how many times Joe Louis and Joe frazier were knocked down and yet he rates these two very highly in this category.

Louis had a terrible chin and even his most loyal of supporters will admit to this and frazier fought one puncher in his entire career and got knocked out and down eight times in just seven rounds.both men had weak chins and if this internet historian wasn't such a delusional fanboy then he would recognize them for what they and their chins really were.

HEART -

"Those who have superior will and courage are men like Jeffries (who once beat Tom Sharkey with a dislocated elbow). Also worthy of a 10 are Dempsey, Tunney, Louis, Marciano, Ali, Frazier, Holmes, and Holyfield all who demonstrated the ability to come from behind and fight while hurt to win"

"Liston, who quit on his stool against Ali, rates a 6."

RESPONSE -

Joe Louis quit on his belly and Joe frazier quit in Manila and yet he discredits an old faded Sonny Liston for he and his corner making the right decision to retire from the fight on a legitimate injury.

No mention of Sonny Liston battling through a broken Jaw to finish the fight.

This lowlife appeals to morons like Dunce,who know nothing of history in general and let's dickheads like this guy dictate his opinions for him.

Comment

Working...
            X