No announcement yet.

Tommy Hearns's Strategy Against Marvin Hagler

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tommy Hearns's Strategy Against Marvin Hagler

It's often said that Hearns made a mistake by going to war and exchanging with the larger, better-chinned Hagler. Hearns was quoted earlier as saying he'd battle it out in the trenches, although later on he said he had to in order to "get Hagler's respect".

But when I watch this fight, I really only see this strategy in the early going from Hearns. He tried to box mid-way through the round, and was having some success though you could argue he was loading too much on those right hands. Hagler cut him off and got him on the ropes, and Hearns was rocked late in the round.

The rest of the way, Hearns did try to box. He was just chopped down by Hagler, who had a perfect gameplan and fought a brilliant fight.

Outside of the very beginning, I don't see this "going to war" strategy from Hearns. He WAS trying to box and move.

The reason he turned to boxing and moving

1. He broke his right hand

2. He didnt recover real good from hard shots, even against SRL when he got hurt, he starting boxing and outboxed SRL for a good while there.

Comment

I just think Hagler was not going to be denied, like Margarito against Cotto. Even Hearns didn't hurt his hand, I still think Hagler would have won. He tried to box, but Hagler was going to make it a war. He wasn't going to outbox Tommy, so going to war was his best option. Tommy's length would have prevailed in a boxing match, but in this war Hagler's chin and determination won the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Thread Stealer View Post
        It's often said that Hearns made a mistake by going to war and exchanging with the larger, better-chinned Hagler. Hearns was quoted earlier as saying he'd battle it out in the trenches, although later on he said he had to in order to "get Hagler's respect".

But when I watch this fight, I really only see this strategy in the early going from Hearns. He tried to box mid-way through the round, and was having some success though you could argue he was loading too much on those right hands. Hagler cut him off and got him on the ropes, and Hearns was rocked late in the round.

The rest of the way, Hearns did try to box. He was just chopped down by Hagler, who had a perfect gameplan and fought a brilliant fight.

Outside of the very beginning, I don't see this "going to war" strategy from Hearns. He WAS trying to box and move.

Thomas Hearns broke his `famous` right hand in the opening round, if he had not broken it then Hagler was going the same way as Roberto Duran did in his fight with Hearns

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
          Thomas Hearns broke his `famous` right hand in the opening round, if he had not broken it then Hagler was going the same way as Roberto Duran did in his fight with Hearns
          What?

Comment

Tommy wanted to box and move.. With a broken hand, he had to.. But Hagler was cut, and went into full attack mode through fear of getting stopped himself..
            I'm surprised there wasn't a rematch when you way up the circumstances.. I'd say Hagler would have won it, but no where near as quickly..

Comment

It was a great injustice to boxing and it's legacy for Marvin Hagler to win that bout.Many argue that "fixed" bouts in the sport of boxing are a bad Idea but I disagree,Think about it,Hagler was a fading fighter by the time of the fight and wasn't a very marketable fighter to begin with.

Hearns was the key draw in this fight,His legendary bout with Sugar Ray Leonard cemented it's place as one of the greatest fights of all time and his legendary knockout victories over Pipino Cuevas and Roberto Duran had solidified his place as the sports greatest puncher.

Hearns was by far the greater fighter and bettered Hagler during that first round despite doing so with a broken hand.By the second round Thomas Hearns was a one handed blown up welterweight fighting under harsh circumstances, No one could have expected him to have done any better.

This was not fair and the fight should of been a no contest at the very least, perhaps even a win for Thomas Hearns due to his heart and courage he displayed during the next near five minutes.Hearns would never take away from Hagler's victory, After the bout he spoke of no broken hand not to take credit away from the obvious dubious victory of one Marvin Hagler and that my friend's is what a real professional is all about,Not whining and crying and running away in tears like a school girl to another country,But accepting reality and moving on with his personal and professional life

God bless the Motor City Cobra, Thomas "Hitman" Hearns.You're personal hero

Comment

Originally posted by princemanspoper View Post
                It was a great injustice to boxing and it's legacy for Marvin Hagler to win that bout.Many argue that "fixed" bouts in the sport of boxing are a bad Idea but I disagree,Think about it,Hagler was a fading fighter by the time of the fight and wasn't a very marketable fighter to begin with.

Hearns was the key draw in this fight,His legendary bout with Sugar Ray Leonard cemented it's place as one of the greatest fights of all time and his legendary knockout victories over Pipino Cuevas and Roberto Duran had solidified his place as the sports greatest puncher.

Hearns was by far the greater fighter and bettered Hagler during that first round despite doing so with a broken hand.By the second round Thomas Hearns was a one handed blown up welterweight fighting under harsh circumstances, No one could have expected him to have done any better.

This was not fair and the fight should of been a no contest at the very least, perhaps even a win for Thomas Hearns due to his heart and courage he displayed during the next near five minutes.Hearns would never take away from Hagler's victory, After the bout he spoke of no broken hand not to take credit away from the obvious dubious victory of one Marvin Hagler and that my friend's is what a real professional is all about,Not whining and crying and running away in tears like a school girl to another country,But accepting reality and moving on with his personal and professional life

God bless the Motor City Cobra, Thomas "Hitman" Hearns.You're personal hero

you hate hagler too?

Comment

Originally posted by KostyaTszyu View Post
                  you hate hagler too?
                  Man o man was that a piece of abject nuthuggery or what?

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                    Man o man was that a piece of abject nuthuggery or what?

Poet
                    Almost 'Giving It' to him on a park bench lol...

Comment

Working...
                    X