No announcement yet.

Is Akihiro Gono A Legend In MMA?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Akihiro Gono A Legend In MMA?

Well? Gono holds wins over Masanori Suda, Ivan Salaverry, Keiichiro Yamamiya, Crosley Gracie, Daniel Acacio, Hector Lombard, Gegard Mousasi.

Draws with Murilo Rua, and Chael Sonnen.

I feel Gono's resume is very impressive, and has some very underrated wins. He has never avoided no one, and fought the best of the best. He could of achieved more in the UFC, do i feel he was past his prime.

Well do you feel Gono is a legend in MMA?

DISCUSS

I don't. When I think of an MMA legend I think of someone like Nogueira or Randy Couture. People who have had some legendary fights and held the title on different occasions, and in some shape or form have changed the layout of the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Stig View Post
      I don't. When I think of an MMA legend I think of someone like Nogueira or Randy Couture. People who have had some legendary fights and held the title on different occasions, and in some shape or form have changed the layout of the sport.
      well your comparing him to the highest level of legends there, you can get in a sense lower level legnds. example, Ali is a legend in boxing, but so is ricardo lopez, but Ali is the much bigger legend, but in his own right lopez is a legend.

you get my drift?

Comment

Originally posted by St Lion View Post
        well your comparing him to the highest level of legends there, you can get in a sense lower level legnds. example, Ali is a legend in boxing, but so is ricardo lopez, but Ali is the much bigger legend, but in his own right lopez is a legend.

you get my drift?
        Thats a bad analogy you got there man. Ricardo Lopez has a much impressive resume not to mention he was champ and never lost. Akihiro Gono is just another B level guy who has some good wins and will never be champ. Big difference.

Comment

He is a legend of having the flashiest ring entrances, I give him that.

Comment

Not a legend but he is a very good fighter.

Comment

In the western world he wouldn't be considered a legend or even close to one.

In the east and to all the people who were watching MMA before TUF. Akihiro Gono is close to being one but really doesn't fit the bill. Now, if you would have said an asian fighter like Sakuraba, then hell yes he is a legend.

Comment

DJ Gozma is a legend

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Stig View Post
                  He is a legend of having the flashiest ring entrances, I give him that.
                  uh uh

gotta be genki

Comment

Rumina Sato, Sakuraba, Sakurai and Sudo are japanese MMA legends. Gono was good but never great, Forrest Griffin has a better resume and is far from bieng a legend( Shogun, Rampage, Bonnar).

Lombard was a prospect and Mousasi was still green at the time too. Mousasi is the only great fighter he beat IMO.

Comment

Working...
                    X