After watching Alves vs Fitch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After watching Alves vs Fitch

This fight might SUCK !!!

I'll be pissed it he lays on his back all night.

Only thing I wanna see now is GSP vs The (Legendary) Spider at 185

-and why is Silva fighting Griffen ?

Promo will get you hyped up over a bunch of nothing.

fighters can get better after a loss

alves is a completely different animal than the dude that fought fitch

Anderson is fighting Griffin because the contenders at MW are working themselves out, and the UFC wanted to match Anderson with a fighter that will hopefully return Anderson to his aggressive ways. Anderson's a counter-striker, Forrest will give him plenty of openings to show his striking skills again

Comment

Just for the record, you can take it anyway you want but I know a MMA trainer here in South Florida and he was watching Alves train. He said they brought in some boxer to spar with him to help with his stand up and that the boxer was lighting him up something serious.

He said Alves takes a hell of a shot though...

Comment

Call me Crazy but i'm picking Alves to upset GSP.

Comment

This just shows how much Hype can do for a fight.

Many people dont even know that Alves got subbed by Fisher, beaten down by Fitch, the same guy who got mauled by GSP nor do they know that Alves got put on his back by Karo freaking Parisyan less than a year ago, got put on his back a couple times against Hughes.

The great "takedown defense" of Alves is being completely overblown for beating a stupid Koscheck who took the fight on short notice. Alves weakened Kos legs with low kicks which slowed him down and the rare occasion where Kos went for a takedown, it was completely telegraphed and lacked explosiveness.

Alves obviously is a solid striker but GSP wont strike with him, he will get him down and dominate him.

Comment

People have also forgotten that Alves has gone 7 straight, all showing dramatic improvement through dominant performances. In no way is Alves on the same level as GSP, he is the underdog. However, we all saw what happened when Matt Serra connected with a solid hook - Now compare that to what Alves can do. His only shot is not to keep it standing the whole fight and pick GSP apart, it's not to be skiddish when it comes to takedowns - Alves' only shot is to get inside long enough to land a huge bomb and I promise you that is what he has been training to do.
            Last edited by Move BRICKS™; 07-10-2009, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Jon Fitch tooled him, but Alves has gotten much much better. GSP may be the better fighter but Alves definitely has the tools, skills, and power to KO GSP and his little shorts

Comment

Originally posted by cuauhtemoc1496 View Post
                Just for the record, you can take it anyway you want but I know a MMA trainer here in South Florida and he was watching Alves train. He said they brought in some boxer to spar with him to help with his stand up and that the boxer was lighting him up something serious.

He said Alves takes a hell of a shot though...
                How is that news? It's like saying a Cricketer should be able to bat against a baseball pitcher.

Obviously boxing is different to MMA, so the Boxer is going to out strike Alves every time.

Did anyone not already know this??

You seem to post here a lot Cuahtamoc about sloppy striking in MMA, and preach about they fighters getting good trainers for their boxing all the time. It's getting tiring.

MMA fighters ARE NOT boxers, and often they will throw loopier shots because a) They aint pro boxers and b) You need a wider stance in MMA, so it's not always technically correct to throw straight.
                Last edited by Naps; 07-10-2009, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Naps View Post
                  How is that news? It's like saying a Cricketer should be able to bat against a baseball pitcher.

Obviously boxing is different to MMA, so the Boxer is going to out strike Alves every time.

Did anyone not already know this??
                  Well I was trying to make the comaprison to GSP's striking. He is a prettyo good striker so......aw forget it Im tired of explaining **** today.

Comment

That fight was a while ago. Alves has improved. With that said I don't think he can avoid St. Pierre takedowns. St. Pierre is MUCH better at setting up takedowns. Koscheck and Hughes don't know how to set up TD's, they just lunge in and ankle bite.

I doubt GSP will be "laying" on Alves. GSP isn't Sherk. He's stays very active on the ground with passing and ground and pound.

Given Alves has the ability to end the fight at anytime, GSP's going to look to finish him as soon as he can.

Alves also doesn't have the chin or heart of someone like Fitch so I can't see Thiago withstanding St. Pierre ground attack and making it to the scorecards

Comment

Working...
                    X