No announcement yet.

Training Gear

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training Gear

I was looking into getting training gear for boxing can anybody recommend me brands, types of gloves, headgear, etc. I would really appreciate it.

search function

Comment

Originally posted by worldchampion View Post
      I was looking into getting training gear for boxing can anybody recommend me brands, types of gloves, headgear, etc. I would really appreciate it.
      Ringside equipment will do.

Comment

would anybody recommend the ringside gym training gloves
        I want to use for bag work and maybe sparring for a little while
        no winning, grant, etc because im on a budget

Comment

Your gym will have gloves and headgear you can use when you train. You won't need your own until you're very far along.

A beginning boxer's first purchases should be 180" handwraps, a Shock Doctor double mouthguard (upper and lower in the same piece), and the Title Groin Protector Plus. This should set you back about $60 or so. If you have anything left over, buy boxing shoes. I use the Everlast lo-tops but for a beginner, even Chuck Taylors will work. (You need a flat shoe with no padding and no heel; Chucks are a low-rent alternative that will get you through for a few months.)

You will enjoy your training a lot more by buying these things, than by hitting a bag with flashy new gloves. This has the added benefit that anyone at the gym who knows anything about boxing will see that the new guy's head is not up his ass and he's serious about the sport.

Plus you will train harder, learn faster, and miss fewer sessions due to injury.

Get gloves later. Much later.

Oh, yeah. Get a good skipping rope.

Comment

the reason I want new gloves is because I don't go to any gym and the gloves I use here are 12oz everlast gloves that are already worn out
            I am going to start going to a gym once I find a good one

Comment

Originally posted by fraidycat View Post
              Your gym will have gloves and headgear you can use when you train. You won't need your own until you're very far along.

A beginning boxer's first purchases should be 180" handwraps, a Shock Doctor double mouthguard (upper and lower in the same piece), and the Title Groin Protector Plus. This should set you back about $60 or so. If you have anything left over, buy boxing shoes. I use the Everlast lo-tops but for a beginner, even Chuck Taylors will work. (You need a flat shoe with no padding and no heel; Chucks are a low-rent alternative that will get you through for a few months.)

You will enjoy your training a lot more by buying these things, than by hitting a bag with flashy new gloves. This has the added benefit that anyone at the gym who knows anything about boxing will see that the new guy's head is not up his ass and he's serious about the sport.

Plus you will train harder, learn faster, and miss fewer sessions due to injury.

Get gloves later. Much later.

Oh, yeah. Get a good skipping rope.
              Fraidy, no, just no!!

Are you kiddin' me, do not advise the kid to use gloves from the gym, man. That **** is just downright f**kin' nasty( The smell, uhh, god, I can't even begin typing to describe using gym gloves, it makes me wanna puke)That includes headgear.

Listen Thread starter, just get yo @ss some good quality gloves from Ringside and the rest that Fraidy suggested.

As far as skipping rope, the best one I had were the leather ones, in that it never broke on me. Everything else I've tried didn't last a year and they were in the $20 range.

Personally, I prefer not to go back to the leather rope, can anyone recommend a good brand/model?

Comment

Originally posted by We want Floyd View Post
                Fraidy, no, just no!!

Are you kiddin' me, do not advise the kid to use gloves from the gym, man. That **** is just downright f**kin' nasty( The smell, uhh, god, I can't even begin typing to describe using gym gloves, it makes me wanna puke)That includes headgear.
                I know that smell. Lysol, old onions, and blood.

I figure if he ain't tough enough to use the gym gear, he ain't tough enough to box. At least, that's what we say at our gym.

But hey, he's not training at a gym. So. . . . yeah. He's gonna need gloves.

Comment

Originally posted by fraidycat View Post
                  I know that smell. Lysol, old onions, and blood.

I figure if he ain't tough enough to use the gym gear, he ain't tough enough to box. At least, that's what we say at our gym.

But hey, he's not training at a gym. So. . . . yeah. He's gonna need gloves.
                  ****, the gloves at my gym have no traces of smelling like lysol whatsoever, it's just a nasty smell, like @ss basically, and who knows what kind of germs are in those things.

I remember when I started boxing. My gym wasn't even actual boxing gym, it so happens that one of the coaches was a former boxer, so he started teaching us.

The first glove I ever wore wasn't even gloves with real padding it was those bag gloves that look like kitchen mitts and it was pretty old too, practically had no padding in it.

And, I didn't even have any wraps, so I started whackin' away at the bag and was really enjoying the training. I kept at it for the whole week and my knuckles were so tore up and bloody from using the d*mn things that I could not workout for the next two weeks.

After that, I bought some Ringside gloves, it cost $100. P4P the best gloves I ever had and since then I've had Winnings and Grant.

Comment

Working...
                  X