No announcement yet.

Taylor vs Chavez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taylor vs Chavez

I just saw the legendary nights episode that told the tale of Taylor vs Chavez and every tiime i see it i just wish that the refree would not have stopped the fight. Taylor won that fight and deserved the victory imo. If you watch with two seconds left chavez is on the oposite side of the ring with no chance of even touching taylor befor the fight was through.
    Its one of the saddest moments in boxing history imo.
    And i cant belive he was never given his victory im probably just venting but does anyone feel the same???

Originally posted by fightingwords89 View Post
    I just saw the legendary nights episode that told the tale of Taylor vs Chavez and every tiime i see it i just wish that the refree would not have stopped the fight. Taylor won that fight and deserved the victory imo. If you watch with two seconds left chavez is on the oposite side of the ring with no chance of even touching taylor befor the fight was through.
    Its one of the saddest moments in boxing history imo.
    And i cant belive he was never given his victory im probably just venting but does anyone feel the same???
    yep, i saw it yesturday on utube, i almost punched my computer, its the worst bull**** momment in modern sports history. sad part is that taylor was never the same after that fight, maybe he would have had a better life if he won.

Comment

End call was bull****. Refs call a TKO when a fighter is on his feet, but in such danger that he can be badly damaged. The clock woulda run out before JCC could even got all the way across the ring to land a big blow. Sad ****.

Comment

Originally posted by portuge puncher View Post
        yep, i saw it yesturday on utube, i almost punched my computer, its the worst bull**** momment in modern sports history. sad part is that taylor was never the same after that fight, maybe he would have had a better life if he won.
        Yea man its awfull i told my girlfriend the story then showed her the video and when they showed him talking years after the fight she seriouly almost cried.
        If anything just putting that W on his record could of made all the difference ur right!

Comment

Originally posted by fightingwords89 View Post
          Yea man its awfull i told my girlfriend the story then showed her the video and when they showed him talking years after the fight she seriouly almost cried.
          If anything just putting that W on his record could of made all the difference ur right!
          exactly, maybe if he had the satifaction of the win he would not still be fighting, i bet he looks back at his carrer and thinks he's accomplished nothing, and i truly think thats why he still fights.

Comment

I agree. You don't stop a fight when there's 2 seconds left, and the each fighter is on opposite ends of the ring.

Especially when Taylor got up at 6.

I don't blame Steele so much as I blame Duva, though.

If it wasn't for that turkey necked ******* jumping up on the ring apron and making a fool of himself, Taylor wouldn't have looked over at him while Steele was asking him the vital question of whether or not he wanted to continue.

And Taylor wasn't ruined by only Chavez, it was a combination of the way he fought everybody. He would go in against guys who were clearly lesser fighters than him, and just make it a fight when he didn't have to.

He preferred fighting, to boxing. And ultimately, that was his downfall.

Comment

Even if Taylor had won the fight, I don't think his career would've turned out that much different.

People make it out to be that Chavez alone turned Taylor into what he became (another Legendary Night myth). There is some truth to Taylor never fully recovering from his first fight with Chavez, but he was still a good fighter afterwards.

He moved up in weight to 147 a year later, and beat undefeated champ Aaron Davis for the WBA belt. He cited weight problems as his reason for leaving 140. He did fight at 140 in 1994 in the Chavez rematch, but that could've just been a desperate effort for one last big fight. He had a stocky frame and it's not hard to imagine him having trouble at 140.

So win or lose against Chavez, he's fighting at 147, and has a belt a year later. While still fighting at a high level, he's not quite the same as he was before he fought Chavez. Even if he is the same, 147 was deep in talent around this time, with some pretty big punchers around. Stablemate Pernell Whitaker entered 147 in 1993. Tito Trinidad won a title in 1993 at 147. Simon Brown was fighting at 147 (he lost a belt to Taylor victim Buddy McGirt in 1991). Ike Quartey rose on the scene around this time. The guy Taylor did lose his WW belt to, mandatory Cristano Espana, was no slouch. Taylor's team also didn't do him much good by putting him in there with Terry Norris at JMW (I think a catchweight of 151 or so).

I felt bad for Taylor, I was rooting for him to win the Chavez fight, but it's hard for me to blame Richard Steele for stopping it when Taylor didn't verbally respond to him. If anything, I blame Lou Duva, for getting up on the ring apron and distracting him (his and Benson's advice in the 12th didn't help either). For all the talk about Steele allegedly having this history of being so pro-King, I haven't seen this history of it. I've seen him do things in favor, and also against, big names promoted by Chavez.

Comment

Working...
              X