Episode No. 5 recap: "The Ultimate Fighter: U.S. vs. U.K."

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Episode No. 5 recap: "The Ultimate Fighter: U.S. vs. U.K."

Episode No. 5 recap: "The Ultimate Fighter: U.S. vs. U.K."

Episode No. 5 of "The Ultimate Fighter: U.S. vs. U.K." opens with a victorious Team U.K. elated after welterweight Nick Osipczak's highlight-reel knockout of Team U.S.'s Mark Miller.

Team U.K. coach Michael Bisping leads the team in a celebratory cheer, promising his crew the win is a sign of things to come,

Team U.S. coach Dan Henderson is forced to look for the silver lining in his group's black cloud.

"Hopefully it woke them up a little bit," Henderson says. "The Team U.K. guys are here to win."

On the long ride back to the house following the loss, Team U.S. lightweight Jason Dent encourages his teammates to be respectful of Team U.K. despite the setback.

While most buy in, fellow lightweight Cameron Dollar sees it differently.

"You can do what you want to," Dollar says. "I'm going to do whatever the [expletive] I want to do."

The tension in the van is evident, and Team U.S. welterweight and MMAjunkie.com blogger DaMarques Johnson states the obvious.

"We are definitely not a team," says.

Back at the house, the "team" sits around outside, sharing stories from back home. Miller gets X-rated with his description of – wait for it – the number of girls he's "humped" (at least 70, if not 80, for the record). One of the lucky 80 happened to be his best friend's wife, but hey, it was her fault.

Team U.S. welterweight Jason Pierce has gained a friend in the house. It happens to be Team U.K. welterweight David Faulkner, which seems odd to others in the house considering the potential for a fight as early in the first round.

We move quickly from the house to the training center, and Bisping makes the selection for the evening's first bout. Team U.K. lightweight Andre Winner is selected to face Team U.S. lightweight Santino Defranco.

Bisping believes Winner holds the edge in both the standing and ground departments, while Henderson believes his fighter "could" win the fight with the proper gameplan.

We get to see a brief montage of the training of both Winner and Defranco before the bout.

Winner pleases his teammates with a takedown of their coach in the workout session. Bisping rises to his feet quickly and rapidly points out that he was the one who instructed Winner in that maneuver.

Defranco again shares his amazing story of his journey from "TUF" competitor to brain surgery candidate and back. Henderson offers a bit of advice on takedown opportunities from the Thai clinch.

Fight day comes quickly, and Defranco works hard to fire himself up in the locker room. Repeated chants of, "I'm the champ," seem to elicit more smiles than fear from his teammates, but Defranco has a goal in mind.

"I'm going to be like water," Defranco says. "If there's a tub of water, and there's cracks here, here and here – and it's leaking out – that's where I'm going."

Winner's ideas are simpler.

"I'm know I'm the better striker," Winner says. "I know I'm not going to get beat up."

Santino Defranco vs. Andre Winner

Referee Steve Mazzagatti gets the action started, and Defranco opens with a low kick. Winner answers with a jab, and the two tentatively search for openings shortly after.

Defranco shoots in, but Winner sprawls out and backs away. Winner score with a few quick punches while Defranco tries a few more low kicks. Defranco shoots in again, but Winner is again ready.

Defranco has the reach advantage, but Winner is quicker. Defranco continues to score with low kicks, and Winner's punching answers come up just short. Defranco shoots in a third time, but this time he clinches and pulls Winner into guard.

Defranco closes the guard then immediately switches to rubber guard with two minutes remaining. Holding mission control with his left leg and arm, Winner simply pops out of the hold. Defranco regains guard and begins to look for an omo plata. Winner senses the move, defends, and retaliates.

Winner throws 27 unanswered punches, and Mazzagatti doesn't give Defranco the luxury of unlimited recovery time he received in his elimination bout. The fight is halted with 1:11 remaining.

"Two-nil," Bisping says. "It's not supposed to be this easy."

Defranco is frustrated with the result and admits pulling guard was the wrong choice.

Henderson knows it's imperative for his team to turn things around, though he's concerned with the mental toughness of his fighters.

Back at the house, Team U.S. lightweight Jason Dent admits he has a better time hanging out with the U.K. crew than his own. When Miller suggests he go do exactly that, Dent responds with the line of the episode.

"Why don't you pull your stupid wiggity-wack hat right over your [expletive] dumb face," Dent says. Johnson finds it hilarious.

Henderson takes his team to a local park to run stairs and get some fresh air. He also takes the time to map out his plan for future matchups. Everyone is good with the plan except for Pierce, who Henderson believes should fight his new buddy Faulkner.

"I don't do well with the short, stocky guys," Pierce says. "I'm not strong enough to manipulate their arms."

Henderson tries to instill a bit of confidence in his fighter, but Pierce doesn't like it.

As if the team love wasn't barren enough, the crew gets in an argument as they enter the van when Dollar invades Miller's personal space. Johnson and Dent get involved as well, and Henderson is forced to step in to try and keep his children in line.

In stark contrast to the bickering Americans, Team U.K. is back at the house frolicking on the trampoline and playing soccer, er, football.

Team U.K. welterweight Dean Amasinger predicts eight straight wins for his squad, and if things don't change it's hard to imagine he'll be wrong.

Back at the gym, Henderson announces the episode's second matchup. MMAjunkie.com blogger Johnson will face Amasinger. The Brit steals a line from UFC star Quinton "Rampage" Jackson when he declares the bout will be a good example of some "black-on-black crime."

Henderson believes Johnson is superior in every aspect of the bout and that he picked the matchup in order to "ensure a win." Bisping admits he believes that Johnson is his foe's best fighter, but still thinks Amasinger can be successful.

As Amasinger prepares for the bout, Bispong focuses on defending the triangle choke. Johnson history of winning with the move, coupled with Amasinger's susceptibility to the hold, make it an obvious weak point. Despite the challenge, Amasinger feels confident he can overpower his opponent.

Johnson, who likens Amasinger to Mr. T – "mohawk with a bald spot" – can't wait to step in the cage. Henderson again issues his vote of confidence in Johnson as the best fighter at the weight.

As fight day arises, Bisping is noticeably absent from the Team U.K. preparation. Amasinger admits it bugs him a little but assumes there must be a good reason for his absence.

UFC President Dana White admits this is the first time in nine season of taping "The Ultimate Fighter" that a coach hasn't showed for his team's fight. Coach Dave Jackson tries to put a positive spin on the situation, but Amasinger doesn't see it the same way.

Dean Amasinger vs. DaMarques Johnson

Referee Josh Rosenthal starts the bout, and the two touch gloves before getting underway. Amasinger scores with a swift low kick, but Johnson catches a second and tosses him to the floor. Johnson follows, but Amasinger scrambles back to his feet.

After a bit of dancing, Amasinger shoots in. Johnson grabs a kimura attempt on the way down and falls to half guard. Johnson shifts to full guard while maintaining the position, but he is forced to release the arm when the submission isn't there.

From full guard, Johnson controls Amasinger's arms well. No damage is done, and Johnson works his legs up into a triangle choke attempt. Amasinger doesn't defend, and Johnson sinks the hold tighter and tighter.

Amasinger tries to slam out of the hold, but the choke is in tight. Amasinger taps at 3:20 of the opening frame. Johnson remains calm as his team celebrates. Amasinger is obviously disappointed.

Team U.S. supposes Bisping didn't show because he knew what the results of the bout would be.

Amasinger collapses in the locker room, feeling he let his team down. He refuses to blame the loss on Bisping's absence, but the question still remains, "Why?"

LIGHTWEIGHT ELIMINATION BOUT

* Andre Winner def. Santino Defranco via TKO (punches) - 3:39, Round 1

WELTERWEIGHT ELIMINATION BOUT

* DaMarques Johnson def. Dean Amasinger via submission (triangle choke) - 1:40, Round 1

Episode is here

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...&postcount=243

Comment

You're a ****ing legend, mate.

Comment

Could the American's be more of douch bags? Seriously, I'm hoping the Brits mop the floor with their ass.

They just act like little kids man and the Brits seem cooler, more laid back. I can't blaim the one guy for hanging out with the Brits more even though he's American.

Comment

Working...
        X