No announcement yet.

Hip rotation

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hip rotation

I know that twisting your hips is one key to getting the most power out of your punches as possible.

So I just wanna know if I am supposed to twist my hips just before my shoulder rotation or if I am supposed to do it WHILE I am rotating my shoulders.

It feels like I get more power and muscle tension out of the shot if my hips go slightly first before the shoulders so that the hips are just a bit forward from my shoulders during the punch.

But it could just be an illusion...maybe I am not getting more power out of twisting my hips first.

Or should I have my shoulders be parallel with my hips while doing the shot?

Do it at the same time, having a delay is focusing to much on power and will slow you down. Watching guys like Barrera and Cotto, they pivot the hips and shoulders at the same time.

Exaggerate the pivot at first to get used to it, then a short pivot will develop with time.

Remember, for power, dig your feet to the ground and make sure you have a solid stance and a bend in the knees. Pivoting helps but not as much as the legs.

You look at guys like Hearns, Lewis, Pacquiao etc, fighters that have a powerful straight punch, they tend to get power from the back leg (i'll bet they press down very hard before punching). I know with Pacquiao he pushes so hard with his leg he often throws himself off balance (why his back leg is often seen in the air).

Guys like Cotto, Barrera, Tyson etc..hook punchers, they are masters at pivoting the body to get power.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
      Do it at the same time, having a delay is focusing to much on power and will slow you down. Watching guys like Barrera and Cotto, they pivot the hips and shoulders at the same time.

Exaggerate the pivot at first to get used to it, then a short pivot will develop with time.

Remember, for power, dig your feet to the ground and make sure you have a solid stance and a bend in the knees. Pivoting helps but not as much as the legs.

You look at guys like Hearns, Lewis, Pacquiao etc, fighters that have a powerful straight punch, they tend to get power from the back leg (i'll bet they press down very hard before punching). I know with Pacquiao he pushes so hard with his leg he often throws himself off balance (why his back leg is often seen in the air).

Guys like Cotto, Barrera, Tyson etc..hook punchers, they are masters at pivoting the body to get power.
      Thanks

But are you saying tha guys like Pac aren't as good at pivoting to get power as compared to guys like Barrera?

Does Barrera have a more delayed pivot than Pac?

Comment

Paquiao puts his entire body behind punches instead of his hips.

I believe that when you move your hip or shoulder first, you telegraph your attack or at least I can see it, I cant speak for everyone else. So i move my fist first, which is very hard to see, and then put my entire body behind my punches for crushing power.

I would say it is similar to pacquiao but I got that style of punching from bruce lee. and i dont throw myself off balance. lol

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
          Paquiao puts his entire body behind punches instead of his hips.

I believe that when you move your hip or shoulder first, you telegraph your attack or at least I can see it, I cant speak for everyone else. So i move my fist first, which is very hard to see, and then put my entire body behind my punches for crushing power.

I would say it is similar to pacquiao but I got that style of punching from bruce lee. and i dont throw myself off balance. lol
          That's what I was thinking too. The same way you don't want to drop your hand before a punch or pull back and "wind up", I'd imagine that rotating your hip before the sholder/ fist would be pretty obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandro17 View Post
            Thanks

But are you saying tha guys like Pac aren't as good at pivoting to get power as compared to guys like Barrera?

Does Barrera have a more delayed pivot than Pac?
            Pacquiao really isn't the perfect example of a perfect puncher in terms of form, It's only recently that he has developed a solid right and left hook.

Most of his power came from his speed and the fact that he digs in his back foot extremely hard (some times so hard he pushes himself forward and his leg lifts off the ground) Pacquiao for most of his younger career only had 2 good punches, his jab and straight, because he didn't pivot much on his hooks. Naseem Hamed is another example. Thomas Hearns had perfect form for a right hand, he digs in his back foot, pivots and fires.

try this on the heavy bag, bend your knees and press down very hard on your back foot, push your weight forward but not so much that you lose balance. Jerk your hips at the last moment and fire as quickly as possible. Hold a loose fist right untill the end to increase speed. Make sure your arm is hitting the bag straight on and not coming up from underneath. The knuckles should hit dead on, not the fingers. Remember to loosen your shoulders up to before hand.
            Last edited by them_apples; 03-02-2009, 02:34 PM.

Comment

I've found that twisting your hips first then shoulders makes it much more powerful and the speed that my hand shoots out is allot faster doing it that way (not to mention I get damn near 150% the power that way) like a whip. I'm also pretty sure the whole movement is a little faster too, so there goes the theory about it being slower.

I can see what your saying about it telegraphing the shot though, I've often thought of that but if the movement as a whole takes less time I'm not sure I see how its a "telegraph" that will let them dodge it more effectively since they have less time. I'll have to pay closer attention tonight at the gym.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
                Pacquiao really isn't the perfect example of a perfect puncher in terms of form, It's only recently that he has developed a solid right and left hook.

Most of his power came from his speed and the fact that he digs in his back foot extremely hard (some times so hard he pushes himself forward and his leg lifts off the ground) Pacquiao for most of his younger career only had 2 good punches, his jab and straight, because he didn't pivot much on his hooks. Naseem Hamed is another example. Thomas Hearns had perfect form for a right hand, he digs in his back foot, pivots and fires.

try this on the heavy bag, bend your knees and press down very hard on your back foot, push your weight forward but not so much that you lose balance. Jerk your hips at the last moment and fire as quickly as possible. Hold a loose fist right untill the end to increase speed. Make sure your arm is hitting the bag straight on and not coming up from underneath. The knuckles should hit dead on, not the fingers. Remember to loosen your shoulders up to before hand.
                What do you mean by jerking my hips at the last moment? At the last moment of my foot pushing off the floor?

Comment

Originally posted by Sandro17 View Post
                  What do you mean by jerking my hips at the last moment? At the last moment of my foot pushing off the floor?
                  your foot should not leave the floor, sorry i'm just bad at explaining things.

You want to shift the weight from your back foot forward, hence gaining power through the legs and releasing it through the fist.

Comment

I just recently started seeing a chiropractor myself - I've got mild scoliosis. He's wonderful! Make sure you don't go to one of those "doc in a box" type of chiropractor though. The first one I went to years ago was like that. They told me to wiggle my toes and while I was doing that they cracked my neck

Comment

Working...
                    X