No announcement yet.

How do I fight this guy?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I fight this guy?

I'm having a problem sparring. I'm about 150 and the guy I'm sparring is 180.
    he is the same height as me but has longer reach and stronger than me, older than me and more experienced.
    He's the only one that near my weight to spar. y
    I've promised myself that I would be better than all the AM's in my gym, there's only bout 12 AM's in there so far I've been able to get better than 8 of them only 3 left and some of them that I'm better than have more exp than me.

Anyways the guy I fight is just plain annoying. He literally waits for me to jab when he feels the jab is in range to hit him he'll hit me with a jab back. Now the problem with his jab is it feels like a right and occasionally he does a lunging jab.
    For me it is hard to block. It breaks through my block and hits me in the face.
    I use both my hands in front of my face but a distance away kind of how amir khan did in the olympics. It has worked well for me for alot of fighters. but for the guy I fight he waits for me to get in the distance and then hits me back. Also he never makes the first move and is always trying to counter. If I don't make a move it is literally a staring match for 15 seconds. What's worked for me though is jab then crouch and hit him with a right hook to the ribs then come back with a left hook to the face. But it only works a few times before he counters.
    what guard should I use to get in and once I do get in what combinations should I use?

P.S powerwise we both hit with around the same kind of power he just has a very strong jab.

since he's waiting for the jab you should faint then when he throws his counter jab you should step back and come with a right hand or slip and bang the body and tire the bid man out. you'll figure him out the more you spar with him

Comment

Yeah use feints and movement to get him going the wrong way. If the guy gives you the luxury of a slow pace, then use that time to out-think him. Try to be 3 steps ahead of everything. Use 2 or 3 shot combos to land the one shot that counts. Try throwing a jab, cross and left hook combination and few times and then sneak in a hard cross and another left hook at the end.

Comment

i love fighting at a slow pace, gives me lots of time to think and pick my shots, look for counters etc

throw lots of feints and use side to side movement to throw him off his rhythm and possibly force him to lead, then counter quickly and get back into defensive mode, counter the counter puncher

if he simply wont lead, throw a couple of probing jabs at him, move out of range and come in on a different angle with a combo (ie: move around him and make him turn)

Comment

In a fix like that use the ring a lot. stay on your toes bob and weave and don't have him set to punch. sounds like hes waiting on you. keep moving so he cant be set to punch and pot shot him to death. don't go toe to toe side to side movements bobbing and weaving... also a lot of feints will help with the timing.

Comment

stay in the pocket and use lateral movement and head movement to avoid shots. try to avoid moving backward. turn his reach into a liability and stay closer to him. throw feints and practice rolling punches. from ur desc. he sounds like he's susceptible to body shots so mix up ur combos with highs and lows.

Comment

I've sparred someone with a similiar style to the one you described but this guy liked to use his feet, alot. He had such good footwork it amazed me. So yes anyway i use a peek-a-boo guard, im slightly crouched and i move my head alot. So he'd be dancing around me and i'de have to sit back and slowly move forward and then when i jabbed he just jumped in with a lunging right, Well it went for like 3 rounds until i finally baited him good. I threw a feint and he came in and i caught him with a massive right uppercut that knocked his mouthguard out and then after that his coach stopped it.

I hope that one day i'll be able to meet the guy in a compitition becuase honestly, he had an amazing style and knew how to use it to perfection

Comment

Originally posted by JabSandwich View Post
                stay in the pocket and use lateral movement and head movement to avoid shots. try to avoid moving backward. turn his reach into a liability and stay closer to him. throw feints and practice rolling punches. from ur desc. he sounds like he's susceptible to body shots so mix up ur combos with highs and lows.
                if this dude cant beat a jab he doesnt know what "staying in the pocket" is.

feint jabs. if his gloves go up, throw hooks. move sideways, stick n move. the most basic ****. shadowbox.

Comment

Originally posted by nirojsri View Post
                  I'm having a problem sparring. I'm about 150 and the guy I'm sparring is 180.
                  he is the same height as me but has longer reach and stronger than me, older than me and more experienced.
                  He's the only one that near my weight to spar. y
                  I've promised myself that I would be better than all the AM's in my gym, there's only bout 12 AM's in there so far I've been able to get better than 8 of them only 3 left and some of them that I'm better than have more exp than me.

Anyways the guy I fight is just plain annoying. He literally waits for me to jab when he feels the jab is in range to hit him he'll hit me with a jab back. Now the problem with his jab is it feels like a right and occasionally he does a lunging jab.
                  For me it is hard to block. It breaks through my block and hits me in the face.
                  I use both my hands in front of my face but a distance away kind of how amir khan did in the olympics. It has worked well for me for alot of fighters. but for the guy I fight he waits for me to get in the distance and then hits me back. Also he never makes the first move and is always trying to counter. If I don't make a move it is literally a staring match for 15 seconds. What's worked for me though is jab then crouch and hit him with a right hook to the ribs then come back with a left hook to the face. But it only works a few times before he counters.
                  what guard should I use to get in and once I do get in what combinations should I use?

P.S powerwise we both hit with around the same kind of power he just has a very strong jab.

If I take all of this at face value, it would then be obvious that you are easy to hit and every move you make is predictable. The key is to go back to boxing 101. You need to relearn the fundamentals. Before you started sparring you should have learned how NOT to become somebody's punching bag. Giving you hot tips is a waste of time because you are doing everything wrong to begin with.

Comment

Working...
                  X