No announcement yet.

Man 'killed after Rooney chant'

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man 'killed after Rooney chant'

A late night reveller killed a stranger for saying he looked like soccer star Wayne Rooney, a court has heard.

Anthony Corsi, 24, was on a night out when a group of men began chanting "Rooney, Rooney" at him at a taxi rank in Cardiff city centre.

Cardiff Crown Court was told that Mr Corsi swung a punch at Christopher Jones, 21, of Marshfield, who died a week later from a head injury.

Mr Corsi, of Cardiff, denies manslaughter. The trial continues.

The jury was shown CCTV footage of the incident in St Mary Street which happened at 0500 on 21 October, 2007 as Mr Corsi was on his way home after a night out in Cardiff.

The court heard Mr Jones was hit and suffered bleeding to the brain.

He was expected to make a full recovery but collapsed and died a week later in hospital.

Roger Thomas QC, prosecuting, told the jury: "It doesn't matter whether you think Corsi looks like Mr Rooney or not - it was a drunken joke.

Christopher Jones
    Christopher Jones died a week after the alleged attack

"Corsi should have gone home but he was angry and annoyed and looking for trouble.

"It was wholly unnecessary.

"We are not saying it was murder but Corsi did start unlawful violence."

Mr Jones's friend John Squires, 21, told the jury the group had been drinking beer, shorts and alcopops that night.

He said they were waiting for a taxi when the defendant hopped into a cab before them.

Mr Jones said another man in the group, Christopher Aberg, began shouting "Rooney, Rooney" and the rest joined in.

He said: "We were shouting general obscenities. Then Corsi got out of the taxi and said 'who's the loudmouth?'

"He was aggressive and it looked like he was looking for a fight. He said he would take all three of us.

"Chris Jones walked towards us from the opposite site of the street and Corsi turned around and hit him."

Mr Squires said his friend staggered away then collapsed about 30 seconds after being hit.

British Gas adviser Mr Aberg admitted he began the "Rooney, Rooney" football-style chants.

He told the court: "I called him Rooney as a joke because I thought he looked like him and I could see he was annoyed by the reaction on his face, he said "do I look ginger?" then got in the taxi as we were shouting "Rooney, Rooney."

'Provoked'

"The gentleman came back, moved towards Chris and hit him."

John Charles Rees QC, defending, told Mr Aberg: "You might call him gentleman now but you weren't treating him as such that night.

"He was a total stranger but was goaded, wound up and provoked.

"I don't want to insult Wayne Rooney but his looks have become a bit of a figure of fun and you knew my client would take offence."

Mr Corsi admitted he "over-reacted" when he was taunted about looking like Wayne Rooney after climbing into a taxi at the end of a night out.

The court heard he told police: "I was upset about what they called me and I stopped the car and got out.

"I was angry, nervous, upset and drunk. Maybe it was the way he approached, I just remember him coming towards me and I hit him.

"I suppose I felt threatened and over-reacted."

The case continues.

Here is a picture of Anthony Corsi:

http://www.onlineseats.com/upload/th..._the_shrek.jpg

Comment

I'd read about people dying from one blow to the head before. It's very unfortunate.

Comment

Originally posted by paul750 View Post
        I'd read about people dying from one blow to the head before. It's very unfortunate.
        I agree, it is also unfortunate for the bloke that threw the punch.

I'm sure he didn't intend to kill the bloke.

Comment

It should be a crime to tell a man he looks like Wayne Rooney.

Comment

Originally posted by paul750 View Post
            ive seen a few cases where a guy has hit somebody one dig and the other lad has died, young boxer from coatbridge he was only 16 never in any trouble was approched by a few older lads at a taxi rank and words were said, he lashed out hitting one of them once and running of, he found out later the lad fell banged his head and died, poor lad was jailed his carear down the pan, makes you think, next time your out on the town and somebody gets cheeky with you, do you hit him????

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky C View Post
              ive seen a few cases where a guy has hit somebody one dig and the other lad has died, young boxer from coatbridge he was only 16 never in any trouble was approched by a few older lads at a taxi rank and words were said, he lashed out hitting one of them once and running of, he found out later the lad fell banged his head and died, poor lad was jailed his carear down the pan, makes you think, next time your out on the town and somebody gets cheeky with you, do you hit him????
              You'd be alright in prison though.

"What're you in for?"
              "I killed a man. WITH ONE PUNCH!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky C View Post
                I think if someone thinks they're a bit vulnerable they obviously shouldn't put themselves in that situation. Some people only look for an excuse to lash out. On the other hand, people who know they're heavy-handed should think about what they're doing too.

That report said it happened around 5, which is very late. It must have been one of those places that opens until 6am or whatever. But drink wouldn't have been served anywhere near that time.

Comment

"I don't want to insult Wayne Rooney but his looks have become a bit of a figure of fun and you knew my client would take offence."

LOL, how would rooney feel if he read this haha christ man, this whole thing is cruel and wrong in so many ways

Comment

This sort of thing happens all the time, I've got a mate who punched someone in the head, the guy's fallen to the ground and smacked his head on the curb. The guy was in a coma for weeks and came out of it deaf in one ear. My mate was lucky enough to come away with just being put on a tag, looking at him you wouldn't think he had a punch in him, he isn't the biggest of lads at all.

Comment

Working...
                    X